Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/12/2018, 02:57 PM   #1
Roscovitch
Registered Member

Nopox and Bio Pellets GFO and UV

Probably been asked a few times before but her goes. Can you use or is it recommended to use NOPox with gfo, bio pellets and UV?Thanks in advance.

Roscovitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2018, 08:14 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

If you need to use all that you have screwed up royally IMO....
What problems are you having that you want to throw everything and the kitchen sink at it?

Unread 06/12/2018, 11:40 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

You can do it, if the tank has enough phosphate and nitrate to handle the carbon load, but it does seem to be a lot of trouble. Is there a specific problem at hand?

Unread 06/13/2018, 03:22 AM   #4
Roscovitch
Registered Member

Okay: Here goes. The tank is 6 months old and is a mixed reef. Everything in it has been quarantined. The tank has run with Nitrates at 10ppm and the GFO has kept the Phosphate down at acceptable levels. Then I stupidly added a leopard wrasse without first quarantining it. One week later I'm fighting velvet. One Fairy wrasse has died. The kole tang is holding on. I can't strip this tank as there is a lot of coral in it and it's all doing well. I know there's a lot been said about ich and velvet and I know the usual outcome of both parasites as I've been in this hobby on and off since the 70s. So I started to feed garlic and added a UV steriliser. That and 10% water changes daily. Because of the added feed trying to keep my fish fat and fighting my nitrates have gone up to 40ppm and my phosphates have also risen quite a bit. My thoughts were to carbon does to try get them down whilst still being able to feed as much as the fish can take. On a side note all of the fish seem to be responding quite well. The tang even looks to be recovering from what was certain death just three days ago. My experiences so far with bio pellets (installed from the beginning) is that the nitrates even with light feedings only ever manage to maintain my nitrates around the 10 to 20ppm and although whilst this is acceptable to a degree I'd like them down to between 3 and 5ppm. The GFO however works a treat and has my phosphates consistently around 0.05. To be honest I'm not ever really sure the bio pellets are doing anything at all since the same amount has been in the reactor for the entire six months. I would have expected (if the pellets where indeed working as they should) to be getting quite a lot of production from my Deltec skimmer: which I don't see. I dosed three mil of Nopox last week and the skimmer really started to foam up and do some work. So the tank is 350lts. Mixed reef. Sump as is has Skimmer, Bio reactor and GFO reactor, return pump. Thanks in advance for any input. Appreciate your thoughts.

Unread 06/13/2018, 03:25 AM   #5
Roscovitch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscovitch View Post
Okay: Here goes. The tank is 6 months old and is a mixed reef. Everything in it has been quarantined. The tank has run with Nitrates at 10ppm and the GFO has kept the Phosphate down at acceptable levels. Then I stupidly added a leopard wrasse without first quarantining it. One week later I'm fighting velvet. One Fairy wrasse has died. The kole tang is holding on. I can't strip this tank as there is a lot of coral in it and it's all doing well. I know there's a lot been said about ich and velvet and I know the usual outcome of both parasites as I've been in this hobby on and off since the 70s. So I started to feed garlic and added a UV steriliser. That and 10% water changes daily. Because of the added feed trying to keep my fish fat and fighting my nitrates have gone up to 40ppm and my phosphates have also risen quite a bit. My thoughts were to carbon does to try get them down whilst still being able to feed as much as the fish can take. On a side note all of the fish seem to be responding quite well. The tang even looks to be recovering from what was certain death just three days ago. My experiences so far with bio pellets (installed from the beginning) is that the nitrates even with light feedings only ever manage to maintain my nitrates around the 10 to 20ppm and although whilst this is acceptable to a degree I'd like them down to between 3 and 5ppm. The GFO however works a treat and has my phosphates consistently around 0.05. To be honest I'm not ever really sure the bio pellets are doing anything at all since the same amount has been in the reactor for the entire six months. I would have expected (if the pellets where indeed working as they should) to be getting quite a lot of production from my Deltec skimmer: which I don't see. I dosed three mil of Nopox last week and the skimmer really started to foam up and do some work. So the tank is 350lts. Mixed reef. Sump as is has Skimmer, Bio reactor and GFO reactor, UV sterilizer, return pump. Thanks in advance for any input. Appreciate your thoughts.

Unread 06/13/2018, 10:47 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

If the phosphate level is low, the bacteria might not have the phosphorus that they need to consume the nitrate. I might try backing off on the GFO slowly. In the mean time, a few 10-15% water changes might help get the water quality back up.

Are you running activated carbon? The bio-pellets might be dumping some organics into the water column. I might ramp up some activated carbon carefully.

Unread 06/14/2018, 08:51 AM   #7
Roscovitch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
If the phosphate level is low, the bacteria might not have the phosphorus that they need to consume the nitrate. I might try backing off on the GFO slowly. In the mean time, a few 10-15% water changes might help get the water quality back up.

Are you running activated carbon? The bio-pellets might be dumping some organics into the water column. I might ramp up some activated carbon carefully.
Thanks for the reply bertoni. I have been slowly decreasing both the flow rate through the GFO and the pellets. As of today I've pulled them both offline. So today my sump has a skimmer (which is now as active as it's ever been) and a return pump plus I'm still running the UV steriliser. I'll run that until either there is no sign of the velvet or the fish die as a consequence. Then the UV will be pulled. I'm very sceptical that NOPOX and a skimmer can do as is claimed but I'm willing to give it a shot. Adding 5ml of liquid per day sure beats not only the space required for two reactors but also expense of running them as well as the cost of GFO and pellets. How good (or bad) NOPOX is it's worth the minimum hassle if it indeed does the job. As for my live stock (absolutely riddled with velvet). Two weeks later: one fish jumped (a fairy wrasse) and the rest including the Kole Tang are still alive and feeding albeit still skimming the rocks and sand. At the very least I say that my water changes plus the garlic and the UV is having some effect. Just how much remains to be seen. I'll keep the thread posted. Thanks again for your response. Appreciate it.

Unread 06/14/2018, 10:39 PM   #8
bertoni
RC Mod

You're welcome. Good luck!

Unread 06/15/2018, 10:35 AM   #9
clevername
Registered Member

Here is a great article on velvet.

https://www.*********.com/threads/ve.../#post-2499437

This is the ONLY way to actually get rid of it. I went through the same thing. build a hospital tank, left the DT fishless for the full 76 days.
It only takes one time to realize i treat all incoming fish for 14 days... never again do i want to go through that.

clevername is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2018, 10:36 AM   #10
clevername
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevername2000 View Post
Here is a great article on velvet.

https://www.*********.com/threads/ve.../#post-2499437

This is the ONLY way to actually get rid of it. I went through the same thing. build a hospital tank, left the DT fishless for the full 76 days.
It only takes one time to realize i treat all incoming fish for 14 days... never again do i want to go through that.
Ok well, that link was blocked. Go to google.com and search "com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/#post-2499437"

first link

clevername is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biopellets, gfo, nopox, uv sterelisers