Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/24/2018, 10:21 AM   #1
accel
Registered Member

Sudden Healthy Clownfish Death

I have a 4-month old Clownfish who suddenly died around 2am. Six hours prior to that, she was perfectly fine and ate her favorite Brine shrimps -- along with other fishes (male Clownfish, three Pajama Cardinals, Yellow Watchman Goby, Yellow Tang, Lawnmower Blenny).

Last time I saw her she was snuggling fine with her Yellow and Rose Bubble tip (she has two). Then my wife saw her floating inverted on a rock like 6 inches away from the bubble tip.

I did a water change like 4 days ago prior to this accident. I inspected the clownfish. No icks. No signs of infestation. No rotting fins. No obvious blunt traumas. She has been with the other fishes for 4 months now. She is the aggressor and the boss of the tank.

I didn't test the water parameters except for the salinity. I figured if there's a problem in the water, all of my fishes should die as well. It's been 2 days and all of them are still alive and kicking.

The only thing I noticed upon her death was the temperature drop from 77F to 73F. The weather suddenly changed. But I had this incident happened before where the tank dropped to 68F. However, if this is really the root cause, then I expect all of the fishes should die as well.

I'm still at lost at what caused the death of a perfectly, strong Clownfish.

accel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2018, 11:45 AM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Clown is hardy fish so temp likely no issue.
After months in the DT, fish can die due to attack or diease.
I have seen sleeping Clowns attacked and killed by crabs no less.
All you can do is watch carefully for any signs of distress in otters.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2018, 12:47 PM   #3
Kinetic
Registered Member

Just because the other fishes are alive doesn't mean the water parameters are OK.

A temp drop could have caused something else to die off that you can't see, and you could have had a spike in something like ammonia, nitrite, or nitrates.

Can't tell you anything else, but I would have tested anyway.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2018, 01:09 PM   #4
accel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
Just because the other fishes are alive doesn't mean the water parameters are OK.

A temp drop could have caused something else to die off that you can't see, and you could have had a spike in something like ammonia, nitrite, or nitrates.

Can't tell you anything else, but I would have tested anyway.
Well I'm not saying the water parameters are perfect or good. One of the things I'm trying to ask is why would one fish die because of bad water parameter but the rest do not? The fish had no signs of illness. There wasn't also any aggressive fish towards him.

Yes, something could die off with a temp drop. But the lingering question is why it only affected one fish? I will test later for the sake of sanity.

I guess my expectation is if the water is that really bad, I would see more dead fish.

Unread 09/24/2018, 01:32 PM   #5
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accel View Post
Well I'm not saying the water parameters are perfect or good. One of the things I'm trying to ask is why would one fish die because of bad water parameter but the rest do not? The fish had no signs of illness. There wasn't also any aggressive fish towards him.

Yes, something could die off with a temp drop. But the lingering question is why it only affected one fish? I will test later for the sake of sanity.

I guess my expectation is if the water is that really bad, I would see more dead fish.
Your expectation is not very solid in my opinion. Not until you know all the variables, like water chemistry (which is the absolute easiest thing to know for certain).

Unread 09/24/2018, 02:03 PM   #6
accel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
Your expectation is not very solid in my opinion. Not until you know all the variables, like water chemistry (which is the absolute easiest thing to know for certain).
Fair enough. While I wait to get home, can you tell me what's a solid opinion then based on this scenario.

Unread 09/24/2018, 02:05 PM   #7
Kinetic
Registered Member

It's hard to know until you can rule out water parameters as the cause. If it is, just do huge water changes to minimize something that's out of wack.

Unread 09/24/2018, 07:15 PM   #8
MarinaP
Registered Member

Is this a 4 month old clown or did you have it for 4 months? If it is the former, i would assume it had internal problems due to poor rearing by the breeder or just bad luck.

Unread 09/26/2018, 04:39 AM   #9
OrionN
Moved on

Do you have a sump? if not air stone? If neither of the above, possible hypoxemia at night.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clownfish, dead, sudden