Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > GHL /ProfiLux / Mitras
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/26/2012, 11:38 PM   #1
yongpanda
Registered Member

Need help deciding..

I will be buying my very first controller and want to do this right the first time as I've learned many times again that it's better to buy right the first time around instead of paying more down the line.

So here are some of the options that I have:

1. I can get a really good deal on a used Porfilux II Plus with WLAN (doesn't come with a pH probe)

2. I can buy a brand new Apex system with temp and pH probes (similar price as option 1)

3. I can save another $300-$400 and buy the Profilux III

Here's a little bit about me so it's easier to help me out.. I have a nano tank that at the very least will need a controller to read temperature and pH levels. In addition, it would be a nice to be able to moniter and control my tank remotely as I expect to be away for two 1month trips yearly for the next 4-5 years. Reliability is a must (which is why I feel that maybe a used profilux may be better than a brand new apex). Ease of use is also important.. In the future, I may want to be able to control LED fixtures.

Here are some questions...
1. Am I right when I say that the only real benefit of being able to connect your vortech pumps with the profilux III (ex) is for the added profilux settings as well as the ease of use (i.e. being able to feed your tank by putting the tank into feeding mode via profilux instead of going to your ecotech controller AND the profilux II or Apex)?

2. I have noticed that the upgrade option of the Profilux II Plus to III has been stopped. Does this mean, that Profilux III users will not be able to upgrade to a possible fourth Profilux controller?

Thanks in advance to your input.

Current Tank Info: Elos Midi in the making
yongpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2012, 07:09 AM   #2
BigAl2007
Registered Member

Hello youngpanda and KUDOS to you for researching and asking ahead of time.

Of course I'm partial because I have been ProfiLux for years now but I did start off with "other" controllers. While I've said many times that there is no one controller that's perfect for everyone I do feel like that if you want the best of the best (not just focused on base unit pricing) then you'll be much better off long-term going ProfiLux.

1) Basically you're correct. The Vortech Module is not required (currently I don't have it on my system.... but that's just because I haven't gotten around to it.. YET).

2) If you want "future" compatibility I'd suggest going with a P3 or P3EX (same but EX has the EX module already which is always an option you can easily add down the road.

I think this link will help you a lot because this person has experience in the exact controllers you're asking about:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2173135

This is a great place to ask questions like this and of course if you have more keep asking. I'm confident you'll make the decision that's right for you and your situation (hint.... ProfiLux P3)

Allen

BigAl2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2012, 12:38 PM   #3
jjk_reef00
Registered Member

Profilux leads the way in LED control. I would save your money for the P3 since you will have it forever. I started out with the P2, got it upgraded and I will probably have this same controller for the next 5-10 years easily. Before profilux I bought the Reefkeeper. One of the powerbars shorted on the communication bus which caused every module to be destroyed. They were no help replacing/fixing parts. Long story short I should have bought the best the first time and been done with it. Plus you can add a profilux dosing pump for when you go away for long periods.

Current Tank Info: 375 FOWLR
jjk_reef00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2012, 01:05 PM   #4
moondoggy4
Registered Member

youngpanda when you read the post from the link remember that the Profilux has gone down in price.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2012, 02:21 PM   #5
yongpanda
Registered Member

Here's the thing.. I can get the used profilux ii plus for $400 but will have to buy a ph probe which will take me to around $500.. and if you haven't noticed, I'm pretty much sold on buying a profilux unit used or new over any of the other controllers out there..

So the real question is if the extra $300 to buy a profilux III, which comes with a more user friendly unit, a more technologically advance item that can possibly be upgraded int he future, and most importantly a 2 YEAR WARRANTY is worth it..

Unread 05/27/2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Antipodes
Registered Member

Hi there yongpanda.
For me, warranties are always worth it. Nothing will get you down more if you buy a second hand unit and it breaks down a month after purchase.

As for if you want the P3! You said you want internet access and access while you are away on trips (Similar to me), then you definitely want the P3. This has Ethernet built in and is web accessible (through the correct setup with a dyndns account or fixed IP).

The current web server in the P3 is limited, however GHL is rewriting this as we speak and I expect it will be a nearly fully enabling control for the profilux.

And the P3 is fully expandable to be able to control multiple tanks through the PAB bus and the expansion modules. If you want more low voltage control (Multiple tunze pumps and multiple LED fittings, or measuring/control conductivity and redox, then you can expand to the ex(or get the P3 ex right from the start).

Antipodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2012, 02:43 PM   #7
yongpanda
Registered Member

The warranty may just be the reason to drop an extra $300 at this point.... And about the online access thing... I will be living in a dormitory and wifi will be provided with individual ids and passwords. However, an ethernet port is available in the room. If i just buy myself a wireless router okr regular one, will i be still be able to setup the profilux 3 to have internet access?

Unread 05/27/2012, 04:41 PM   #8
jjk_reef00
Registered Member

Is your tank in your dorm?
I have my P3 hooked up to my wireless network buy plugging it into a wireless network extender. Then I run the P3 computer software on any computer in the house and can have full control of it.

Current Tank Info: 375 FOWLR
jjk_reef00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2012, 04:46 PM   #9
yongpanda
Registered Member

Yes the tank will be in the dorm, hence why I will be away from it around 2-3 months every year. Like I said, there is a ethernet port in the room and was wondering if a simple router pluged into it will allow me to have online access to my controller.

Also, is it true that the wlan on a profilux II Plus will work to give me monitering/controlling features, but that I will ALWAYS need to have a computer hooked up to it in order to control/moniter when I am away?

Unread 05/27/2012, 07:53 PM   #10
yongpanda
Registered Member

Also, another question is if the Profilux II Plus, if connected to the internet, is able to send me alerts via email.

Unread 05/27/2012, 10:33 PM   #11
Antipodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yongpanda View Post
Yes the tank will be in the dorm, hence why I will be away from it around 2-3 months every year. Like I said, there is a ethernet port in the room and was wondering if a simple router pluged into it will allow me to have online access to my controller.

Also, is it true that the wlan on a profilux II Plus will work to give me monitering/controlling features, but that I will ALWAYS need to have a computer hooked up to it in order to control/moniter when I am away?
Running a cable from the router will be ok to get it set up with local access.

To access remotely, you will need to have access to the external connection router for port enabling and fwding.
You will also have to have a static IP address to be able to access from a external connection (Or dyndns if you have authority).
I suggest you talk to the IT person looking after your dorm to see if it can be done for you.

And yes to your question on having the profilux software always active if you want logging for the p2.

And emails from the P2 is no. You can get an SMS module (At a price) to send you texts, but emails can only be sent by the Profilux control software which would have to be connected to the Profilux to monitor and send an email if there is an alert!(DONT need dyndns for this)

P3 will also send emails from the unit WITHOUT requiring dydns. Only needs to be connected to internet through router.

Lots more info on this if you go to GHL support forum

Unread 05/27/2012, 11:29 PM   #12
yongpanda
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipodes View Post
Running a cable from the router will be ok to get it set up with local access.

To access remotely, you will need to have access to the external connection router for port enabling and fwding.
You will also have to have a static IP address to be able to access from a external connection (Or dyndns if you have authority).
I suggest you talk to the IT person looking after your dorm to see if it can be done for you.

And yes to your question on having the profilux software always active if you want logging for the p2.

And emails from the P2 is no. You can get an SMS module (At a price) to send you texts, but emails can only be sent by the Profilux control software which would have to be connected to the Profilux to monitor and send an email if there is an alert!(DONT need dyndns for this)

P3 will also send emails from the unit WITHOUT requiring dydns. Only needs to be connected to internet through router.

Lots more info on this if you go to GHL support forum
Wow, lots of help, thanks! I registered on that site and only awaiting confirmation from admin..

But while I wait, could you clarify things for me?
Seems to me that unless I can gain access to the school's main internet system, I won't be able to remotely access the data from my P2, and not to mention that it has to be connected to a computer (with the software) too?
SO.. P2 needs more access to internet settings and a computer to spare to get remote access right?

However, do you mean to tell me that for the P3, I only need a hookup from the P3 to the route (which I will buy and connect to my room's ethernet port), without having to ask for more direct access of the internet from IT? And to top it off, to log and moniter AND control my P3, I DO NOT need a computer (with the software) attached to it all the time?

If whatever I said above is true, then it seems like an obvious decision.. Profilux III! If I got the P2, I'd have to ask IT for access to internet connection settings AND have a second computer to spare that is always hooked up on it? (which is a bummer because if I got an AI sol blue, I wouldn't have a rs232 port to connect it to if the computers always on it..)

Unread 05/28/2012, 06:08 AM   #13
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

You should be now registered on the forum providing your IP is located in North America it blocks all others, we have to manually assign ones outside. so please email me with your user name if not registered.

As I suggested in my email - I do strongly suggest against the WLAN card if purchased second hand, we simply can no longer support it as the Licenses from Lantronics have expired for all new set ups. The product is obsolete with GHL for the past 2.5 years.

I do suggest going for the P3 it fits the bill exactly for what you require, but as mentioned above for outside access from the router enviroment you will have to change the port settings, you will need to ask your college for permission to do this.

This is not unique to GHL, no matter what controller you decide upon you will still have to access port forwading which your college may not allow.

Ecotech powered, OLD Profilux 3 but looking to upgrade when market settles, Seneye Monitored, Bubble Magus DC Skimmed.

Current Tank Info: Floating about on the water enjoying semi retirement!!
AQD_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2012, 04:17 PM   #14
yongpanda
Registered Member

Yeah I'm going to take your advice and get the Profilux III. Now all I need is the funds haha.

So if I want to have access to my profilux in a local network, I just need to add the profilux to a wireless router, which will be connected to the Ethernet port right? But if I want remote access I'll need to have port forwarding (which is probably restricted by the school's admin). But do I really need to be connected to the profilux port 10001 instead of 80?

*I will be posting further questions in the support forum*

Unread 05/28/2012, 05:04 PM   #15
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

yep the profilux will be connected to your router you then can access the controller on the internal side of the network, but you will need to port forward which I doubt the admin of the college would allow?

Ecotech powered, OLD Profilux 3 but looking to upgrade when market settles, Seneye Monitored, Bubble Magus DC Skimmed.

Current Tank Info: Floating about on the water enjoying semi retirement!!
AQD_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2012, 10:28 PM   #16
Antipodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yongpanda View Post
Yeah I'm going to take your advice and get the Profilux III. Now all I need is the funds haha.

So if I want to have access to my profilux in a local network, I just need to add the profilux to a wireless router, which will be connected to the Ethernet port right? But if I want remote access I'll need to have port forwarding (which is probably restricted by the school's admin). But do I really need to be connected to the profilux port 10001 instead of 80?

*I will be posting further questions in the support forum*
Port 10001 is to access the profilux with the profilux control (PC software).
Only need port 80 open for the web server part of the profilux to the internet.
But like I said (And Michael) ask your IT guy there if you are allowed. Otherwise it is a moot point.

But I would recommend the P3 for flexibility and upgrade-ability for future proofing. I really like the product and its on going feature additions.
(ie things like floor wet sensors and flow sensors). I know they have a lot of things in the pipeline and as the year progresses even more functionality will be gained. (Seems impossible to upgrade a already great product, but they are doing it)

Unread 06/04/2012, 08:30 AM   #17
BigAl2007
Registered Member

Here's a good thread that also deals with the Original Topic at hand

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1590302

BigAl2007 is offline   Reply With Quote