Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/30/2012, 08:23 PM   #1
CHSUB
"Certified Hobby Expert"

deep water acro???

i'm seeing more sellers of "deep water acropora". to me: it is just a shallow water acro that settled lower on the reef and adapted its growth to its new envirorment and not a different species. (correct me if i'm wrong) if this is the case i would assume it is largely heterotrophic compared to its swallow water cousins, making it more difficult to keep in a closed reef system. i was thinking of buying one from DD but need more info on its survival rate..has anyone had these corals for more that a year with success?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2110638
CHSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2012, 07:57 PM   #2
CHSUB
"Certified Hobby Expert"

i was looking at DD today and noticed they do not call these corals "deep water" anymore...my guess is that "deep water" means nothing, and these corals are no different than any other acro??

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2110638
CHSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2012, 09:00 PM   #3
dvanacker
DID I SOUNDS SMRT??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSUB View Post
i was looking at DD today and noticed they do not call these corals "deep water" anymore...my guess is that "deep water" means nothing, and these corals are no different than any other acro??
correct....well they are kinda different in that we just classify and smooth skin acropora with sparse polyps as "deepwater". But there are tons of species of both regular and "deepwater". In the end though deepwater doesnt really mean much other than they way we as hobbyists have bunched together some species with similar traits.

Current Tank Info: 200g SPS dominant Mixed Reef
dvanacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2012, 10:58 PM   #4
JAustin
Acropora Nut

I was thinking the same. Next we will start seeing "shallow water" Acropora or "Full Sun" acropora, who knows.

I HATE the new names of corals now.

Unread 07/13/2012, 11:10 PM   #5
REEF SMAC
Registered Member

They just call it deepwater, so you'll reach deep into your pocket to buy it.

REEF SMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2012, 11:29 PM   #6
Backinthegame
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REEF SMAC View Post
They just call it deepwater, so you'll reach deep into your pocket to buy it.

Good one!!!!

Current Tank Info: Almost out of the hobby
Backinthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2012, 01:01 AM   #7
defchild84
Registered Member

I guess I could put the time in to do the research- but my lazy personality can't refrain from asking the experts here... so there is ABSOLUTELY no difference in what the lighting requirements, or any other requirements that an actual acropora found in deeper water would have, than say, an acropora from a shallow surf zone? Or... are there such things, but not enough to be concerned in the hobby??

Unread 07/15/2012, 01:20 AM   #8
NVfishman
Registered Member

actually deep water acros are are from deeper in the waters with less light penitration dont know how deep it is that classifys it that way. Alot of coral farms in bali are having success with putting deep acros in full light with shallow acros. they are slower growers then most acros as well
here are a few
elgans
cardus
carolinia
sushsorni
walindi
I am keeping these lower in my tank as the demands are not as great for light compared to
tenius
yougi
horrida
sublata
and the like

you can try to move them higher in the tank colors might change and look nicer rather then (wild brown) if they bleach you know they had to much light

Current Tank Info: 400 sps reef

Last edited by NVfishman; 07/15/2012 at 01:42 AM.
NVfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2012, 09:31 AM   #9
dzhuo
Registered Member

The term deep water acros are invented to refer to a group of smooth skin Acropora sp. In terms of caring and ability of handling light, the term is meaningless as it does not imply these acros are naturally found in deeper water with less light. Acropora lokani and Acropora granulosa, for example, are 2 common "deep water acors" which are naturally found in shallow reef. The group, obviously, also include acros found in deeper water as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defchild84 View Post
so there is ABSOLUTELY no difference in what the lighting requirements, or any other requirements that an actual acropora found in deeper water would have, than say, an acropora from a shallow surf zone? Or... are there such things, but not enough to be concerned in the hobby??
Right. Deep water acros really just mean smooth skin. They can be found both deep or shallow reef. In terms of lighting and flow, it's not enough to make a general statement one way or other.

Unread 07/17/2012, 10:46 PM   #10
hogfish
Registered Member

deepwaters can be difficult especially since they are ususally available as colonies which have a lower success rate of acclimating to aquarium existence.

hogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2012, 10:42 PM   #11
rogerwilco357
Registered Member

yeah they are tough to keep but when they shine they shine love them..smooth skinned acro..

Current Tank Info: 2x2x4 120gal,sump45 gal.RKE controller,ATI Powermodule 8x80watt,1MP20+2MP40,1 mp10,RoyalExclusive Alpha200
rogerwilco357 is offline   Reply With Quote