Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/29/2016, 01:34 PM   #1
steve1981
Registered Member

Weirs

I have just moved into a new house and plan on getting a 5x2x2 foot tank in the dining room.

I was just wondering what my options for weirs and down pipe systems are. Is there any advantage to having two weirs? Does anyone recommend central to left or right positioned weirs? Also what type of overflow do you prefer, durso etc?

Thanks. Steve.

steve1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2016, 03:38 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

bean animal drain system(can be done internal or external) with a coast to coast overflow..
Hands down the BEST...
I wouldn't do anything else.. ever.. all others fail in comparison..
http://www.beananimal.com/projects/s...ow-system.aspx

Huge thread around here with ALL the information you could ever need to know.. Think its in the DIY section

Unread 09/29/2016, 04:34 PM   #3
steve1981
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
bean animal drain system(can be done internal or external) with a coast to coast overflow..
Hands down the BEST...

Huge thread around here with ALL the information you could ever need to know.. Think its in the DIY section

Thanks for the link. Can you somehow do this method internally as I want the tank almost flush to the wall.

Unread 09/29/2016, 05:03 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yes you "could" run the pipes through the bottom of the tank.. BUT the potential problems there are a leaky bulkhead could allow all the water to drain out of the tank.. and you must ensure the bottom of the tank is not tempered either and you would see all the piping running through the tank..

You really only need like 4" or so off the wall to run it the "normal" way..

Unread 09/29/2016, 07:26 PM   #5
Lsufan
Registered Member

I'm agree with mcgyver, I wouldn't setup a tank without a bean animal drain & a coast to coast overflow. With a 150 u can get away with using 1" plumbing so like he mentioned u will only have to be 4 or 5" away from the wall. If it was me I would use 1.5" plumbing on it & just have the tank the extra 1" from the wall. It is a good thing to have the tank about 6" from the wall anyways so u can reach back there if u have to. U never know when u may drop something back there or have to get to a outlet or something.

U have a couple different options on the weir. U can have a internal box like the link posted or u can have a narrow interior box with a larger exterior box for the plumbing. The internal weir with exterior box is my personal favorite.

I have the exact size 150 gallon tank as u have & I went with this design with 1.5" plumbing & I really can't think of anything that I wish I did different. The 1.5" plumbing makes it completely silent with about 1000 gph flowing through the sump. I absolutely love it but the tank does have to be about 6" from the wall.

Here's a pic to give u a idea

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2016, 09:54 PM   #6
Breadman03
New Old School

Bean with coast to coast here. My overflow is internal with the pipes external. I measured it before things got wet, and I want to say that I would have needed 3-3.5" clearance. If you only want it against the wall to keep furry critters from getting behind the tank, you could always do some creative trim work to keep the area closed off.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2016, 11:08 PM   #7
LXXero
Moved On

you cant typically bottom drill a pre-made tank anyway as they usually temper the bottoms. however if you were having it custom made, then it can be done. In which case, you'd have to do a big internal style overflow with 3 standpipes and enough space between them for some pvc fittings, that'd be the only way to do a bean and have it flush against the wall....in fact bottom drilled is really the only way you'll get it against the wall and that might mean a custom tank, there is only marineland that makes a 60x18x26 5fter but not 5ftx2ftx2ft....not sure of any factory 5x2x2....so yeah if you're going custom sure drill the bottom and leave enough room for 2 pvc's elbows between them...

LXXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2016, 11:22 PM   #8
LXXero
Moved On

double post

LXXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2016, 05:45 AM   #9
steve1981
Registered Member

Sorry to kickstart this thread again but I have a few more questions. I have just spoken to a tank shop and I am thinking of having an overflow box externally fitted to the right side of the tank and then having the been animal system fitted to that. That way it can be hidden behind some units that are going to be on the right hand side of the tank. What are your thoughts on this? And also I would like to have the return pipe coming through on the right hand side of the tank also so that again it will be hidden by the unit. I know it should be on the left so that the flow could go from left to right, but can I make this work the turning on the right?

Unread 12/20/2016, 05:47 AM   #10
steve1981
Registered Member

Sorry, can I make this work 'returning' on the right

Unread 12/20/2016, 12:25 PM   #11
laverda
Registered Member

Yes easily. Just run the return up and along the back to mid way in tank the drop into the water with the output directed to the left side of the tank. Or if you prefer run all the way to the left and direct the water output to the right. I have done both and prefer the first. I am debating if it is worth using a Squid to have both alternating on my current tank.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2016, 09:35 AM   #12
Zacktosterone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Hands down the BEST...

this is personal opinion. bean animal also takes up the most space. i myself love the bean animal but some builds i have forgoed it because it take sup a lot of internal space in regards to length. with my new 60x24x18 i decided to go with 2 pipes for a herbie or dual durso stand pipe. mcgyver has a point with reliability, it's unmatched. but it depends on how the tank will be viewed. is it going to be peninsula? is it view able on all 4 sides like my tank?

Zacktosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2016, 02:45 PM   #13
steve1981
Registered Member

No not peninsula. Imagine a normal tank against a wall. I will be making a custom stand underneath clad with high gloss white doors. I am then going to put a tall unit butted up against the right side of the tank. I will then buy a long wall unit to match the doors and screw it to the wall above the tank and attach lighting to that. So the tank will be viewable from the front and the left. The dining room is smallish so even the few inches that a back pipefeed would be too much and with the unit on the right side, that would be a great way of hiding the pipework. Obviously access holes will be cut in the side of the cipboard

Tags
overflow, piping, weir