Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/29/2018, 11:56 AM   #10101
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Or move the light further away from the screen. Double the distance.
But this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
I cannot move them away
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinfallz View Post
At 15W that's max intensity,,, too much for a new/not matured screen, photo-inhabition looks like. You need to reduce intensity, until at least the screen is covered. An easy way to try this is to use some window tinting, just use clear sticky tape to attach temporarily, or even some black plastic or aluminum insect screen will reduce intensity.
You only need to diffuse the lights very slightly, and only right in front of the LEDs. But I would be cautious about placing anything on the fixture or shield, those get hotter than you think.

Instead, place the diffusion material on the scrubber housing. You can try several things but start cheap. Blue painter's tape, or plain masking tape. Just a 1 cm square, right in front of the LED chip.

If that works, then you know that is a solution pathway to go down, and you might try something a bit more permanent

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2018, 12:44 PM   #10102
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
You only need to diffuse the lights very slightly, and only right in front of the LEDs. But I would be cautious about placing anything on the fixture or shield, those get hotter than you think.

Instead, place the diffusion material on the scrubber housing. You can try several things but start cheap. Blue painter's tape, or plain masking tape. Just a 1 cm square, right in front of the LED chip.

If that works, then you know that is a solution pathway to go down, and you might try something a bit more permanent
Yes good point to be cautious about heat.

Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2018, 02:30 PM   #10103
homer1475
Registered Member

Thanks Floyd, I'll give that a shot.

Purely out of curiosity though, Why would it all of a sudden happen? I was getting nice thick growth, then it went to that slimy snotty stuff which cleared the screen in the middle.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2018, 02:58 PM   #10104
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Could be a change in tank chemistry over time. That tends to happen when you add a scrubber, so conditions might have been good for growth at the light level you were at, and then over time that shifted.

Have you tested potassium or any other elements besides just N & P?

Unread 11/29/2018, 03:18 PM   #10105
homer1475
Registered Member

I have not, besides iron which I started adding thinking that might have been limiting my growth.

The light cycle itself is fine then (23 hours split between the front and back light with an hour of both off)? Just diffuse the light some so it's not such a bright hot spot?

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2018, 03:26 PM   #10106
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
The light cycle itself is fine then (23 hours split between the front and back light with an hour of both off)? Just diffuse the light some so it's not such a bright hot spot?
I would try that first. You're getting green around the perimeter of the screen, that tells me you don't have an iron deficiency. However Iron is very reactive (depends on the type, but generally...) so many times it's used up quickly. It's difficult to maintain measurable Iron in a saltwater tank. I've personally only dosed Iron a couple of times, way early on when we were using the sqin/gal method, it greened things up but didn't really do anything else epic.

Unread 11/29/2018, 08:47 PM   #10107
SantaMonica
Registered Member

It's not intensity, it's something in the water that some tanks just have, or get. I'm working on a mineral supplement to help get through this, and if you'd like to try it send me your address and number of gallons you have.

Unread 11/29/2018, 09:12 PM   #10108
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
It's not intensity, it's something in the water that some tanks just have, or get. I'm working on a mineral supplement to help get through this, and if you'd like to try it send me your address and number of gallons you have.
Interesting. But why would nice green stuff still be growing around the extremities of his screen?
What is this something? tanks get?

Unread 11/29/2018, 09:39 PM   #10109
SantaMonica
Registered Member

The light is so weak there that dark slime can still grow.

Unread 11/29/2018, 09:52 PM   #10110
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
actually the green stuff isn't all that nice after a second look.

Can this "something" in the water be removed via a 100% water change,,, or does it absorb into the rock work?

Unread 11/30/2018, 09:39 AM   #10111
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Quote:
It's not intensity, it's something in the water that some tanks just have, or get.
Quote:
I'm gonna go with "you're wrong" here. I'll wait for the results but I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

Quote:
I'm working on a mineral supplement to help get through this
I'm gonna take a stab at it and say this is going to be the World's First Algae Scrubber Supplement.

I'll beat you to the punch here. Take a teaspoon or two of Miracle Mud, mix it with some RODI, and dump it into your return pump chamber and let it blow all around your tank.

^^ do a bit of research on this one and you'll find that people are actually doing this and having some interesting results, and not necessarily with an algae scrubber involved. I'll have to dig up where I read about this...I would read up on it before doing it though. I just wanted to throw this out there.

Unread 12/01/2018, 02:28 PM   #10112
OllieNZ
Registered Member

Hi All,
I'm setting up a new 40gal ish AIO tank and want to use an upflow ATS, I'm mulling a couple of designs and could do with some input.

The basic design will be a 4"x4"x14" removable box that will drop into one of the rear chambers. It will be lit via a DIY LED fixture on the outside of the glass (10mm optiwhite if that matters). Water would flow in the bottom and up out the top as part of the main flow through the rear chambers.

First design would use a standard screen (not drawn in the illustration) that goes in the slots and would lift out for easy cleaning, usable screen size would be 12"x3.5" (42"square) and an airstone/bubble making device inside the tube at the bottom to protect it from the light and increase time between maintenance

The second design utilises the same drop in box but instead of a centrally mounted screen it would have the screen mounted around the edges (or the faces coated in crushed quartz) and a 3 sided bubbler, again protected by a tube and would offer around 126" square of growing surface.

What I'm struggling with is choosing the correct sized air pump, and whether I should be using an airstone or other bubble source?
Thoughts on either design?

Reefed out
OllieNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2018, 11:45 AM   #10113
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Between those two, the second is much better because the first has a dark side which you don't want. If however you changed the screen on the first one by rotating it 90 degrees and therefore lit both side, it would be better (2-sided is always top priority).

Airstone is ok, and easy, but bigger bubbles are best. 1 LPM would be good with a small screen, and 2 LPM for the 3-wall screen.

Unread 12/05/2018, 03:31 AM   #10114
OllieNZ
Registered Member

Quote:
Between those two, the second is much better because the first has a dark side which you don't want. If however you changed the screen on the first one by rotating it 90 degrees and therefore lit both side, it would be better (2-sided is always top priority).

Airstone is ok, and easy, but bigger bubbles are best. 1 LPM would be good with a small screen, and 2 LPM for the 3-wall screen.
There would still be a dark side on the second design though? (kinda like your hang on ones)

Reefed out
Unread 12/07/2018, 08:09 PM   #10115
SantaMonica
Registered Member

No there is no space behind, and therefore no place for algae to be dark.

Unread 12/08/2018, 10:23 AM   #10116
OllieNZ
Registered Member

Quote:
No there is no space behind, and therefore no place for algae to be dark.
Thanks,
Could the first one be used with a solid screen rather than a mesh screen to make it truly single sided? I'm just concerned 120sq" would be massive overkill.

Reefed out
Unread 12/08/2018, 07:10 PM   #10117
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Yes if the white screen had a black backing to stop light from getting to the back side.

Unread 12/24/2018, 12:31 AM   #10118
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/at...1&d=1545632998

Attached Images
File Type: jpg LED x 5.jpg (85.6 KB, 54 views)
Unread 12/24/2018, 12:56 PM   #10119
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Waterfall holiday colors

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WfReefgrrlOnYoutube-2 holiday no text.jpg (94.1 KB, 61 views)
Unread 12/31/2018, 06:11 PM   #10120
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Where do you get cfl reflectors???

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2019, 10:14 PM   #10121
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Ebay, or the same place you get the CFL

Unread 01/02/2019, 11:57 AM   #10122
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Thanks.

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2019, 11:25 PM   #10123
ento-reefer
Registered Member

I would like a little advice on my Algae scrubber. I seem to only get dark slimy algae on the screen, but get the more desired green hair like algae growing on the bottom plate. My tank is 180g I feed about 2.5 cube equivalents per day. My nitrate level is currently 20 and PO4 .05-.07. I had been running the lights 20 hrs per day for the past month and I am thinking about going to 24.

The only nuisance algae that I have in my tank is a little bubble algae and whatever grows on the back glass which I never clean. My hopes were that the ATS would help keep my nitrates a little lower in the 5-10 range. I am running a little phosguard to help keep PO4 below .1. I have been running the ATS since early September. I run Kalk in my ATO to maintain calc and alk. I change 25g of water every 2 weeks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-2459.jpg (60.3 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-2460.jpg (91.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-2461.jpg (73.1 KB, 67 views)
ento-reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2019, 07:27 AM   #10124
fit
Registered Member

Is that coraline algae on your screen? It looks purple. I'm not sure if green hair algae will grow in the places where the purple is. You may have to somehow remove the purple somehow.

I think the brown slimy stuff is bacteria and should be brushed off to help encourage/allow the green algae growth.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2019, 08:05 AM   #10125
ento-reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fit View Post
Is that coraline algae on your screen? It looks purple. I'm not sure if green hair algae will grow in the places where the purple is. You may have to somehow remove the purple somehow.

I think the brown slimy stuff is bacteria and should be brushed off to help encourage/allow the green algae growth.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I don't think there is any coraline algae growing on the screen mainly different colors of slime. Should I be rinsing the screen off when I clean it? I have just been getting as much of the slime off as possible with my fingers, but not rinsing.

ento-reefer is offline   Reply With Quote