Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/12/2012, 12:58 PM   #1
katekate087
Registered Member

Coral need rescuing

I'm slowly killing my sun coral and flower pot. I don't know what's going on really, the sun coral hasn't opened much since I got him and he's becoming very skeletal, Ive been force feeding him anytime I see it even the slightest bit open, I feed the tank once a week and spot feed every other week, is that wrong? I'm new at this...
My flower pot has been receding badly in the last few weeks. Ive always thought he was doing well, always open and happy and bright, maybe they have specific food needs? I feed a mixture of phyto, oyster feast and cyclopeeze... I feed the fish frozen mysis.
I had an alk problem recently but I'm back to normal now... I least that's what my tests say. I switched to red sea salt because the other was ruining my chem. I put stronger lights over the corals in question as well... So I guess my question is would anyone want to adopt my corals so they don't die? I don't think I'm caring for them correctly. I'm new and can't even get macro to go in my tank. Maybe it's too clean?

katekate087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2012, 01:09 PM   #2
Dapg8gt
Registered Member

From what I've read gonipora are really hard to keep long term and mostly won't last.. Some have long term success but I think most don't. And aren't sun corals non photosynthetic? Meaning you putting more light over them won't really help.

I could be wrong though but from what ive read on the two corals you have are gonipora is for advanced tanks/keepers and the sun corals are to be fed and put in a shady area. Someone else hopefully will help u out good luck.

280g radium lit sps flat living in my garage rent free.

Current Tank Info: 105g SPS dominant euro braced powered by 4 ecotech pumps and lit by an ATI powermodule controlled by a reef angel =).
Dapg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2012, 01:26 PM   #3
katekate087
Registered Member

Ive been moving the sun coral all over the place. He's in the back under the LEDs I need him in more flow than anything. He was in a shaded area and seemed happy. I checked him last night and compared to pictures from when I first got him and he's lost a lot of color and a few polyps, so I moved him to wear I think he'll get more flow.
I have only had my flower pot for a couple months, I just don't think he should be dying so soon.

Unread 09/12/2012, 01:42 PM   #4
usmc121581
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapg8gt View Post
From what I've read gonipora are really hard to keep long term and mostly won't last.. Some have long term success but I think most don't. And aren't sun corals non photosynthetic? Meaning you putting more light over them won't really help.

I could be wrong though but from what ive read on the two corals you have are gonipora is for advanced tanks/keepers and the sun corals are to be fed and put in a shady area. Someone else hopefully will help u out good luck.

Thats is why I have stayed away from them. I had a Flower pot coral and it lasted maybe a week and gone. Then someone told me that they are very difficult to keep and most die. But that was 7-8 years ago maybe something has changed since.

Current Tank Info: I have a 180 gal mostly LPS corals, it contains 1 Val. Tang, 1 yellow striped clown fish, 3 percula clownfish, a blood shrimp, cleaner shrimp and a sand shifting goby, 5 pajama cardinals, 1 green chromis. Also a 75 gal. sump/fug.
usmc121581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2012, 03:04 PM   #5
wonderz
Registered Member

for sun corals, they usually open up at night when the lights are off. they don't need light. you should target feed it every other day. if you want it to open during the day time, you have "train" it, meaning moving up the feeding schedule earlier and earlier.

like others have said, you got a NPS coral and an "advance" corals. probably not the best corals to start with if you're new to corals.

wonderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2012, 04:28 PM   #6
Dapg8gt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katekate087 View Post
Ive been moving the sun coral all over the place. He's in the back under the LEDs I need him in more flow than anything. He was in a shaded area and seemed happy. I checked him last night and compared to pictures from when I first got him and he's lost a lot of color and a few polyps, so I moved him to wear I think he'll get more flow.
I have only had my flower pot for a couple months, I just don't think he should be dying so soon.
A few months for a gonipora is I believe what most get maybe more but just search RC or google and see for yourself. I've heard some red goni's are heartier than others but they are labeled intermediate for a reason that is still really a mystery of sorts while in captivity. Some supplement certain nutrients with succcess iron or something.. I just read a thread in the last few weeks about them and supplementing something with good results. Hopefully someone steps up and takes them for you.

280g radium lit sps flat living in my garage rent free.

Current Tank Info: 105g SPS dominant euro braced powered by 4 ecotech pumps and lit by an ATI powermodule controlled by a reef angel =).
Dapg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2012, 05:39 PM   #7
LAKEM0NSTER
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderz View Post
for sun corals, they usually open up at night when the lights are off. they don't need light. you should target feed it every other day. if you want it to open during the day time, you have "train" it, meaning moving up the feeding schedule earlier and earlier.

like others have said, you got a NPS coral and an "advance" corals. probably not the best corals to start with if you're new to corals.

LAKEM0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2012, 06:14 PM   #8
katekate087
Registered Member

Thanks guys, I'll feed the sun more often and continue to search for someone to adopt them.

Unread 09/12/2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Psirex
Registered Member

Contrary to popular belief\opinion Sun Corals do need light just not alot of it, place it in a low shaded area with moderate to high water flow...

http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expa...s&SortBy=Price

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/Sun-Cor...nge_p_399.html

Unread 09/12/2012, 06:22 PM   #10
Psirex
Registered Member

if you choose to feed at night make sure the tank is DARK... I have one in my tank and it opens during day and night. When feed turn off any powerheads in the DT.

I am just relaying what has worked for me...

Unread 09/12/2012, 08:44 PM   #11
katekate087
Registered Member

Thanks psirex, what do you feed your sun? Hopefully I can bring him back, he's a little bleachy... I'd post a pic, but I'm on my iPad. I've seen nearly dead corals bounce back before. I had no idea I had to feed it everyday. Poor little guy. Should I turn all my pumps off to feed? My return blows stuff around pretty strong. I do turn my other two power head for though.

Tags
flower pot, rescue, sun coral