Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/11/2019, 06:06 PM   #1
Chris918
Registered Member

New Reef and I need advice

Hello friends,

With an inspiration from BRS and WWC, I've decided to undertake the 4 month cycling process in the goal of creating an SPS dominant system. That being said, I have a Reefer 350 that is dying to be used for this project. This system never really got off the ground due to financial restraints. Now with a much bigger budget I'm ready to get started.

The Reefer has 5 fish in it. All are healthy, happy, and active. I haven't lost any fish in this system and the tank gets 15% water changes weekly along with constant maintenance. Since the coral plans never took place, I'd like to take the opportunity to create a new shelf-like aquascape for the SPS.

There is a large block of marine pure in the sump that is a year old. Does anyone foresee any problems adding new rock and removing the old random scape?

I have the rock I want. I don't know if all rocks leech phosphate, but would it be best to let it soak outside of the tank to try and mitigate this issue? I can also add bacteria if need be to get the rock colonized. Or would it just be best to add it to the tank, dramatically limit the lights, and let it go for 4 months or more?

I'm committed to a long cycle. The tank is bare bottom. I have plenty of flow. I now have the budget to do this right so help me do it right

Please offer any advice you have. I greatly appreciate it.

Chris

Chris918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2019, 06:28 PM   #2
lapin
Registered Member

If you remove any of the old rock you will remove some of your bio filter. I would place the old rock in your sump if possible. Take the new rock and soak it for a week. Test for Po4. If you have none, add some Fritz turbo start 900 and ammonia. Let that run its cycle for a month or so as directed. Plop that in your tank and you should not have any issues. Im sure others have ideas. You might get a better response if you can tell us what your new rock is.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2019, 06:35 PM   #3
Chris918
Registered Member

Yes of course. Thank you lapin. It is BRS reef saver dry rock.

Chris918 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium cycle, dry rock, dry rock cycle, phosphate