Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/27/2020, 05:51 PM   #1
92reefer
Registered Member

Advice on Tank and equipment

Been out of the hobby for several years and wanting to jump back in but I need advice on tank selection and equipment choices.

Seriously looking at the Waterbox Frag 105.4 or Marine X 110.4. I wanted a 4 foot tank and around 100 gallons total in the system so both fit this bill. I like the idea of not having to get out my small ladder to get my hands in the Frag tank as it's only 16" deep (51.6" on the stand) vs the Marine X 21.7" depth (57.1" on stand). But I prefer a less wider tank as the FRAG is a wider tank at 23.6" vs. the narrower 19.1" of the Marine X tank so there's trade-offs. The Frag tank is also a bit more expensive than the Marine X as the FRAG cabinet is UV coated Plywood vs. the Marine X line of Laminated Plywood. Haven't determined which tank I'm going to pursue.

https://waterboxaquariums.com/produc...32961342341229
https://waterboxaquariums.com/produc...31632412377197

Now comes the hardest choices, supporting equipment. I've been gone awhile and I know there have been lots of developments and changes in the lighting, pump, heater, AOT etc. departments.

Advice/suggestions on the equipment below appreciated:

Heater: Thinking about 250-300 watts? Glass/Titanium. Controller needed?

Return Pump: Previously had MAG pumps but thinking better choices out there?

Lighting: Looking at 2 AI PRIME HDs with Flex Arms as tank will mostly be SW fish only with possibly a few LPS way down the road? Primes are pretty inexpensive and don't need a controller (phone app controllable) which is a plus?

ATO: no clue, used to have JBP with Aqua-Lifter pump

Skimmer: also too many options but will be adding this last as Fish only doesn't require a skimmer.

Sand: was contemplating going bare bottom but after reading pros/cons will most likely go with a small grain white sand again?

92reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2020, 05:59 PM   #2
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

Sand will add a lot of surface area for good bacteria to grow so good to have. Plus if u are keeping wrasse then they need sand to sleep in. As far as temp control get the ranco temp controller. It's cheaper than most aquarium temp control but it's much more reliable and last much longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABC corals

Current Tank Info: 360g Peninsula sps
ycnibrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2020, 06:24 PM   #3
ifreddyboy
Registered Member

I ended up purchasing the waterbox 85 gallon, with AI’s and the quantum skimmer. For my case it was a great combo and had worked out well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ifreddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2020, 02:02 PM   #4
92reefer
Registered Member

Nice tank Freddy!

Unread 11/08/2020, 03:10 PM   #5
92reefer
Registered Member

OK folks, so I pulled the trigger and ordered a Waterbox 105.4 frag.

Now I need to order the essentials to get the tank going once it arrives. I have ample Marco Rock bleached and ready to go from my past tanks.

Opinions and advice please on the following items needed to get the tank going.

Sand. I love the smaller grain "white" sand. I've had the CaribSea "special grade" sand and was not happy with the variety of the grains. This is going to be mostly a fish only tank with possibly a few LPS frags down the road. I want a bright white sand. Any opinions on the CaribSea Fiji Pink dry sand? Not sure it's necessary to buy the Arag Alive version as I'll be using Bio Spira to seed the tank. Also what's the cheapest place to get this sand delivered?

Cycling additive: IO Bio-Spira. Used this in my last tank and worked fairly well.

Pump: Looking to go with the Jebao DCP-6500 (Max flow 1710 gph)

Heater: Ebo-Jager 300w Tru-Temp heater? Haven't had a Heater/Controller combo at all. Any suggestions on the a budget heater/controller?

Lighting: 2- AI Prime HD lights with Flex Arms?

ATO: baffled here. Previously had the JBJ ATO and had no problems with my 60G cube but it is now gone with the tank? Opinions?

I can add a skimmer down the road if needed..

Unread 01/19/2021, 06:11 PM   #6
92reefer
Registered Member

UPDATE: Tank has been started and added required dosage of AI Bio Spira.

Went with a Tunze 3155 ATO, Sicce SDC 7.0 return pump, BRS 300W heater on an Inkbird 306-T controller, and Bubble Magus Curve 5 skimmer. Everything up and working great. Just waiting for the tank cloudiness to dissipate (going on 11 days and still cloudy).

Last piece of equipment is a powerhead for water movement. I have the Sicce SDC 7.0 on minimum as the sump design in the Waterbox is rather restricted as it dumps into dual filter sock chambers (1 200 micron mesh and 1 200 micron felt sock). Any higher pump flow and the water can't get through the filter socks quick enough and starts to rise in the chambers.

Tank is 4 feet long, 23.5 wide and 16 deep. I really hate cords in the tank and would like to only do 1 pump/powerhead if I can. Was looking at doing either an Icecap Gyre 2k or 4k mounted in the center of the tank on the overflow. That way it will blow across the width of the aquarium in the center before hitting the front glass. Hopefully the front glass will diverge the flow enough to cover the left and ride sides of the tank before returning back up the center mounted Gyre?

Anyone have any opinions/advice on my preferred placement and which pump to go with (1 2k or 1 4k)?