Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/12/2016, 06:08 PM   #1
RobertK
Premium Member

Help - Mini BK 180 not working

Hi,
I've had a Mini BK 180 for quite a few years but it stopped working recently. I dismantled and cleaned the pump according to the instructions but it still does not work. The impeller and the shaft bearing appeared to be in good condition. After cleaning it I tested the pump in a bucket of water - when I plugged it in the impeller jiggled a little, like it was going to start up, but would not start turning. What should I do?
Thanks,
Robert

RobertK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2016, 07:51 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertK View Post
Hi,
I've had a Mini BK 180 for quite a few years but it stopped working recently. I dismantled and cleaned the pump according to the instructions but it still does not work. The impeller and the shaft bearing appeared to be in good condition. After cleaning it I tested the pump in a bucket of water - when I plugged it in the impeller jiggled a little, like it was going to start up, but would not start turning. What should I do?
Thanks,
Robert
When you pulled the impeller, was the bearing that is supposed to be in the bottom of the motor block stuck to the base of the impeller shaft? When you cleaned the pump, did you remove the bearing from the block and make sure the impeller shaft spins freely in the bearing before putting the bearing back in place? The reason I ask is because calcium tends to build up on the impeller and the bearing that the end of the impeller shaft rides in. That bearing acts as support for the impeller shaft and the impeller shaft should always spin freely in the bearing. If there is calcium buildup on that shaft, that causes excess friction on the shaft and in some cases can cause the bearing to stick to the shaft. The end result is the impeller will not spin or worse, cause premature failure of the motor block.

It is very important to remove the bearing from the inside of the block as part of the routine maintenance and clean it well and make sure the impeller shaft spins freely in the bearing. Once everything is clean, you reinstall the bearing into the bottom of the block before putting the impeller back in. The bearing is held into the bearing cavity at the bottom of the motor block via an o-ring. There is a little groove that the o-ring slips into when the bearing is pushed back into the bearing cavity. This is covered in the Mini 180 manual.

How old is this skimmer? Do you know if this is the Mini Bubble King VS07 or if it is the Mini Bubble King VS09? Check the label on the pump and see what it says. We should have motor blocks in stock for both model Mini 180's.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2016, 10:58 PM   #3
RobertK
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
When you pulled the impeller, was the bearing that is supposed to be in the bottom of the motor block stuck to the base of the impeller shaft? When you cleaned the pump, did you remove the bearing from the block and make sure the impeller shaft spins freely in the bearing before putting the bearing back in place? The reason I ask is because calcium tends to build up on the impeller and the bearing that the end of the impeller shaft rides in. That bearing acts as support for the impeller shaft and the impeller shaft should always spin freely in the bearing. If there is calcium buildup on that shaft, that causes excess friction on the shaft and in some cases can cause the bearing to stick to the shaft. The end result is the impeller will not spin or worse, cause premature failure of the motor block.

It is very important to remove the bearing from the inside of the block as part of the routine maintenance and clean it well and make sure the impeller shaft spins freely in the bearing. Once everything is clean, you reinstall the bearing into the bottom of the block before putting the impeller back in. The bearing is held into the bearing cavity at the bottom of the motor block via an o-ring. There is a little groove that the o-ring slips into when the bearing is pushed back into the bearing cavity. This is covered in the Mini 180 manual.

How old is this skimmer? Do you know if this is the Mini Bubble King VS07 or if it is the Mini Bubble King VS09? Check the label on the pump and see what it says. We should have motor blocks in stock for both model Mini 180's.
Thanks, Scott. When I pulled the impeller the bearing stayed in the pump body. I pulled the bearing out with some long forceps. There was no visible calcium buildup on either part but I soaked both parts in vinegar solution anyway. There was a thin layer of black stuff on the metal impeller shaft where it fits into the bearing but it wiped off easily. I did not check to see if the bearing spun on the impeller shaft before reassembling the pump, but I reassembled it according to the instructions including the correct placement of the O-ring, and the impeller spun easily once reassembled. I can take it apart again and check if you want me to.

The skimmer is about 4-5 years old and has worked flawlessly until now. The pump does not say which model it is but I have a yellow card that came with the skimmer indicating that it is a VS09 (see photos below). However, I live in USA and this is a 110V pump, not 220 as indicated on the card for UK.

Do you think it needs a new pump then?

Unread 03/13/2016, 08:53 AM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks, Scott. When I pulled the impeller the bearing stayed in the pump body. I pulled the bearing out with some long forceps. There was no visible calcium buildup on either part but I soaked both parts in vinegar solution anyway. There was a thin layer of black stuff on the metal impeller shaft where it fits into the bearing but it wiped off easily. I did not check to see if the bearing spun on the impeller shaft before reassembling the pump, but I reassembled it according to the instructions including the correct placement of the O-ring, and the impeller spun easily once reassembled. I can take it apart again and check if you want me to.

The skimmer is about 4-5 years old and has worked flawlessly until now. The pump does not say which model it is but I have a yellow card that came with the skimmer indicating that it is a VS09 (see photos below). However, I live in USA and this is a 110V pump, not 220 as indicated on the card for UK.

Do you think it needs a new pump then?

Sounds like you need a new motor block. They are in stock at our facility in Ft. Myers Florida. This is the 110v block you need. We can ship it out first of the week if you order it online.

http://royalexclusiv.com/Spare-Parts...VS09::165.html

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 03/13/2016, 12:10 PM   #5
RobertK
Premium Member

Quote:
Sounds like you need a new motor block. They are in stock at our facility in Ft. Myers Florida. This is the 110v block you need. We can ship it out first of the week if you order it online.

http://royalexclusiv.com/Spare-Parts...VS09::165.html
Are you sure those are in stock? I clicked on the link you provided and tried to order one but it said it was not available.

Unread 03/13/2016, 02:37 PM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Are you sure those are in stock? I clicked on the link you provided and tried to order one but it said it was not available.
Shoot. Let me double check. Normally out of stock items are not listed but we did some updates to our website. Will let you know shortly.

Unread 03/13/2016, 05:08 PM   #7
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
So it appears that we have several in stock. We just need to correct the glitch on the website. Will update you once we have it corrected which shouldn't take. It should be fixed no later than tomorrow morning if not sooner.

Unread 03/13/2016, 05:21 PM   #8
RobertK
Premium Member

Quote:
So it appears that we have several in stock. We just need to correct the glitch on the website. Will update you once we have it corrected which shouldn't take. It should be fixed no later than tomorrow morning if not sooner.
OK, thanks Scott. Appreciate the help. Will wait to hear from you.

Robert

Unread 03/13/2016, 07:21 PM   #9
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Quote:
OK, thanks Scott. Appreciate the help. Will wait to hear from you.

Robert
Hello Robert - Thank You for pointing this issue out with the web shop. I have found and corrected the listing. You may now place the order.

Thanks,
Marco

Current Tank Info: RS Reefer 450
ReefClownMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2016, 08:53 PM   #10
RobertK
Premium Member

Thanks Marco, I placed the order. Just waiting for the PayPal invoice so I can pay for it.

Unread 03/14/2016, 08:01 PM   #11
RobertK
Premium Member

I'm still waiting for the PP invoice - strange, usually when buying w/ PayPal after you click to purchase it takes you straight to the PP website so you can pay. On your site it did not do that, but just said that I'd receive a PP invoice by email to complete the purchase, which I have not yet received. Is everything OK on your end? Also, is expedited shipping available? I'm on the west coast and the only shipping it offered was UPS ground. That is usually at least a week from FL to CA. I've been skimmerless for a couple weeks already and am getting nervous......

Unread 03/14/2016, 09:13 PM   #12
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I'm still waiting for the PP invoice - strange, usually when buying w/ PayPal after you click to purchase it takes you straight to the PP website so you can pay. On your site it did not do that, but just said that I'd receive a PP invoice by email to complete the purchase, which I have not yet received. Is everything OK on your end? Also, is expedited shipping available? I'm on the west coast and the only shipping it offered was UPS ground. That is usually at least a week from FL to CA. I've been skimmerless for a couple weeks already and am getting nervous......
Robert,
Germany handles the web store orders, if you want to re-place the order with CC, I can go ahead and cancel the original order you placed.
We can expedite shipping, my guess would be it'll run around $60-$80 though.

Unread 05/14/2016, 07:05 PM   #13
Jrmass
Registered Member

This is odd that I have the EXACT same issue with my pump on the EXACT same model Bubble King mini 180 skimmer. My rotor just jiggles. I can spin it freely in the shaft freely with the bearing in the block. Just odd that we would both be experiencing the same issue so close together. I bought this skimmer from a person here on R.C. a while back and it is not a red dragon pump though. It is a MAX FLO 1600. I would like to get this back to original though if this is an aftermarket pump.

Jrmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2016, 07:45 PM   #14
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrmass View Post
This is odd that I have the EXACT same issue with my pump on the EXACT same model Bubble King mini 180 skimmer. My rotor just jiggles. I can spin it freely in the shaft freely with the bearing in the block. Just odd that we would both be experiencing the same issue so close together. I bought this skimmer from a person here on R.C. a while back and it is not a red dragon pump though. It is a MAX FLO 1600. I would like to get this back to original though if this is an aftermarket pump.
PM returned.

Unread 05/14/2016, 08:30 PM   #15
RobertK
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrmass View Post
New pump fixed mine good as new!