Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/03/2016, 06:49 PM   #1
Kengar
Registered Member

What Sort of DreamBox Shipping Costs Are People Incurring?

What sort of shipping costs are people incurring on DreamBox sumps? Assume it would be for just the sump, i.e., without skimmer, pumps, reactors, etc. I'm considering the Medium (149 cm long) one, either 49 or 69 cm wide.

Assume shipping would be to major international airport that has nonstop flights to and from Frankfort (namely, Dulles International, just outside of Washington, D.C.).

Thanks.!

Unread 06/03/2016, 09:28 PM   #2
danrobberg
Registered Member

Mine was somewhere around a grand delivered to my house. Mine was the 100cm x 49

danrobberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2016, 09:29 PM   #3
Kengar
Registered Member

just box, or with other toys (skimmer, pumps, etc.)?

Unread 06/04/2016, 05:01 PM   #4
ArmanS
Registered Member

Mine is 170 cm x 70 cm wide and cost to ship to LAX is ~1K Euros. That includes with toys, BK SM 250, 3 x RD3 230w.

Unread 06/08/2016, 10:39 AM   #5
vhuang168
Registered Member

My quote was also over 1k for a system. I just wasn't willing to pay 1/4 of the price just in shipping. When they become available in the US, I will revisit getting a Dreambox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2016, 11:21 AM   #6
Kengar
Registered Member

Can you identify what size, where it would have been shipped to (i.e., airport or home), and what sort of equipment would have been included (bears on weight)? Thanks for your input!

Ken

Unread 06/08/2016, 05:08 PM   #7
vhuang168
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kengar View Post
Can you identify what size, where it would have been shipped to (i.e., airport or home), and what sort of equipment would have been included (bears on weight)? Thanks for your input!

Ken

This

http://royalexclusiv.net/Dreamboxes/...uxe::1376.html

And

http://royalexclusiv.net/Dreamboxes/...0cm::1193.html

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2016, 07:46 PM   #8
michaelrc51
Registered Member

I have a Dreambox 7B being built now and the freight quote to JFK airport was just under 700 EUR. This is the sump with 2 RD3 150w pumps, 200 SM skimmer, 3 reactors, and the rest of whatever is included.
Keep in mind the weight probably won't matter. The size usually has a calculated weight by the shipping company and the size of these sumps is much larger than the weight that would usually be associated with something of the same size.

For those people waiting for them to be available out of the Fl facility, I don't think you will find shipping much if any cheaper than what I am paying. These are crated items and shipping across country will be in excess of $500-600 maybe more. Plus they will be stock units so changes to design won't be possible if you want any kind of variation you will have to order it from Germany.

michaelrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2016, 05:51 AM   #9
Kengar
Registered Member

Thanks for the input.

JFK? That's international???? JK re JFK!

For Dulles, then, I'm hopeful that freight costs -- IF weight does play some role -- will permit me to go with a DB. I've got a request in for quote for shipping estimate for "bare-bones" medium sump (i.e., without pumps, skimmer, reactors, etc.), so should be able to make decision shortly.

Re the standard size/weight issue, were you saying, michaelrc51, that the sumps usually get assigned a weight value that is HIGHER than what they actually weigh, since packages of the size of the sump are usually not filled with a lot of empty space and hence heavier?

Unread 06/09/2016, 09:24 AM   #10
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

For Dulles, then, I'm hopeful that freight costs -- IF weight does play some role -- will permit me to go with a DB. I've got a request in for quote for shipping estimate for "bare-bones" medium sump (i.e., without pumps, skimmer, reactors, etc.), so should be able to make decision shortly.

Re the standard size/weight issue, were you saying, michaelrc51, that the sumps usually get assigned a weight value that is HIGHER than what they actually weigh, since packages of the size of the sump are usually not filled with a lot of empty space and hence heavier?

It's dimensional weight. Regardless if Dreambox ships with pumps, and media reactors/filters, or empty - you'd most likely pay exact same amount. Hence order what you'd like, the first time around.
The skimmer may add some additional shipping cost depending on how it's packaged and if it fits securely inside the box or has to be put on a box on top of the crate, however even then it would most likely be less than a separate shipment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_weight

Current Tank Info: RS Reefer 450
ReefClownMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2016, 09:27 AM   #11
Kengar
Registered Member

Got it. Thanks.

Unread 06/09/2016, 02:44 PM   #12
michaelrc51
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

What I was saying is that if you have something shipped on a pallet they "assume" it will be heavy and they expect it to weight greater than what it does so they figure on a weight that is much heavier. I doubt it would be extra if you have other stuff shipped inside it or even just on the same pallet. My educated guess would be that you would have to add atlas 100lbs or more before you could possibly incur more charges due to the weight.

Ask Slief

Unread 06/10/2016, 09:22 AM   #13
michaelrc51
Registered Member

Just got confirmation it's ready to go so I will have some exact numbers next week.

Unread 06/10/2016, 12:50 PM   #14
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelrc51 View Post
What I was saying is that if you have something shipped on a pallet they "assume" it will be heavy and they expect it to weight greater than what it does so they figure on a weight that is much heavier. I doubt it would be extra if you have other stuff shipped inside it or even just on the same pallet. My educated guess would be that you would have to add atlas 100lbs or more before you could possibly incur more charges due to the weight.

Ask Slief
The larger pallets get assessed a DIM weight which means that a large pallet can weigh very little but because of it's size, it will have a dimensional value weight as opposed to the actual weight. In those cases, the DIM weight may be substantially higher than the actual weight in which case adding more items won't necessarily increase the fight cost but it can impact the insured value which will increase transit costs. Also, added items that can't be packed inside the sump will impact the dimensions which can also impact the shipping costs. Having said that, airlines have weight limitations for total cargo weights and may charge differently for weight than a trucking company. That is something i am not sure of.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2016, 06:18 PM   #15
michaelrc51
Registered Member

So, I just got my final invoice from RE and the shipping price increased from 697
EUR quoted to 867 EUR.
I am guessing the added costs are for shipping it to Newark, NJ instead of the original quote from JFK, NY.
Since towing a trailer out to JFK will cost me well over $100 more I just paid the invoice.
This thing cost a fortune but I am sure it will be worth it.
I got one that is 150cm x 60cm.

Unread 06/20/2016, 09:25 PM   #16
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelrc51 View Post
So, I just got my final invoice from RE and the shipping price increased from 697
EUR quoted to 867 EUR.
I am guessing the added costs are for shipping it to Newark, NJ instead of the original quote from JFK, NY.
Since towing a trailer out to JFK will cost me well over $100 more I just paid the invoice.
This thing cost a fortune but I am sure it will be worth it.
I got one that is 150cm x 60cm.
It's amazing what a change of airport can do to the rates. I just went through this with another customer. Two major airports very close to each other but the freight costs from one to the next were nearly 40% higher. At lost of it has to do with the airlines that fly into the different airports as well as whether those airlines have direct routes from the local airport in Germany to the airport of your choice.

That said, I have yet to hear a customer say it wasn't worth it. I wish the space below my tank would accommodate one but my doors below the tank required a 2 piece sump/fuge to maximize the space. You will be very happy once it arrives!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2016, 06:23 AM   #17
Kengar
Registered Member

I think I am the customer to whom Scott is referring. To put some meat on the bones of what he is saying, here is the ESTIMATE info I was provided for a 150-50 and a 150-60 going to either BWI (Baltimore Washington International, just south of Baltimore) or IAD (Dulles International, just outside the DC Beltway, westerly, in Herndon, VA):

D-150-50
to Dulles International Airport (IAD): 385,00 €
to Baltimore Washington International Airport (BWI): 580,00 €

D-150-60
to Dulles International Airport (IAD): 515,00 €
to Baltimore Washington International Airport (BWI): 610,00 €

IAD is probably THE local hub for international flights, whereas BWI gets them, but......
AND, many if not most of the international flights coming into IAD are non-stops, including -- and this is probably most helpful in my case -- Lufthansa and United from Frankfurt

Unread 06/21/2016, 07:20 AM   #18
michaelrc51
Registered Member

What Sort of DreamBox Shipping Costs Are People Incurring?

I am surprised, your rates are a decent amount lower than mine and JFK and Newark are both international airports.

With the shipping costs and exchange rates and all I will be interested to see what the prices are when sold here in the US.

We should have them put it all on one pallet and divvy up the costs. I'll come to DC to pick mine up......probably cheaper than me going out to JFK

Unread 06/21/2016, 10:50 PM   #19
ArmanS
Registered Member

Lol good idea! Mine is going to be ~950 Euros !

Unread 06/22/2016, 09:51 AM   #20
Kengar
Registered Member

I should add that mine would be for the sump, only, so no cost attributable to size/DIM weight associated with skimmers, pumps, reactors, etc.

Unread 07/05/2016, 01:53 PM   #21
Shredded
Registered Member

Shredded is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2016, 04:37 PM   #22
michaelrc51
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredded View Post

Damn......is that to your door?

Unread 07/05/2016, 04:53 PM   #23
rvareef
In Memoriam

shred did you get that scratch fixed?

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2016, 03:56 PM   #24
Shredded
Registered Member

It was to my door, but the trucking company was right down the street and I intercepted it to get it early.

Unread 07/06/2016, 03:58 PM   #25
Shredded
Registered Member

@ rvareef...No, really was no good way of fixing it. It's to the back and you won't really ever see it. One of those deals where the more time passes, the less it matters. The sump was perfect, that was the main deal. Marco and Scott took care of me so I am happy.