Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/26/2019, 05:03 PM   #1
Robgixxer
Registered Member

Anyone with tank building experience here?

I've been out of the hobby for about 10 years. I have the itch again. Was thinking about building my own tank. Looking to be in the 250-280 gallon range. 72" long, 36" high, and 24" deep is the maximum size I have room for. Everything that I can find tells me thickness and how to put it together with bracing the top, etc. My question is what should my bottom panel be so I can drill for overflows as tempered will shatter. Just want to make sure that the bottom will be a strong enough glass. Thanks in advance for any input.

Robgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2019, 10:49 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Dont use tempered glass if you want to drill it..
Non-tempered float glass is what you would use..

Unread 01/27/2019, 08:42 PM   #3
Robgixxer
Registered Member

thank you. i just wanted to be sure.

Unread 02/01/2019, 01:50 PM   #4
asudavew
Registered Member

Buy a tank instead.

Current Tank Info: 180, 125, 75
asudavew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2019, 10:21 PM   #5
jdstank
Registered Member

Just thought Rob, but I’d look into doing a bean animal overflow rather than drilling the bottom. Still have to drill but it’s not the bottom and you’ll have a much better designed overflow system. Best of luck in that venture, those are seriously heavy glass panels you’ll be dealing with.

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon reef
jdstank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2019, 10:08 PM   #6
NanoReefWanabe
Registered Member

You can buy that size tank standard.. no need to build it

NanoReefWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2019, 10:14 PM   #7
Robgixxer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoReefWanabe View Post
You can buy that size tank standard.. no need to build it
I haven't seen that height standard. Everything that I saw was shallower. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

Unread 02/05/2019, 10:16 PM   #8
Robgixxer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstank View Post
Just thought Rob, but I’d look into doing a bean animal overflow rather than drilling the bottom. Still have to drill but it’s not the bottom and you’ll have a much better designed overflow system. Best of luck in that venture, those are seriously heavy glass panels you’ll be dealing with.
Thanks for the advice. I will look into it. 2 of the panels are to be starphire. Front and one end.

Unread 02/06/2019, 10:04 AM   #9
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

I'd build a plywood tank if I were you. You can still do 2 or 3 panels of glass and much easier to customize the size and such without sinking thousands into glass.

lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2019, 09:23 AM   #10
JTL
Registered Member

I have built a few tanks over the years but none larger than 100g. My advice is don't start out with something as large as you are contemplating. Working with glass that size is not for amateurs.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2019, 04:15 PM   #11
oreo57
Registered Member

you can play w/ these. No guarantees..
http://www.garf.org/tank/BuildTank.asp
https://www.easycalculation.com/meas...calculator.php

https://www.livingreefs.com/threads/...ulators.21048/
Of course recommended glass thickness w/ a reasonable safety figure (4) is 22.6mm
Half way between 3/4 and 1" ...

bottom should be 1"

https://www.livingreefs.com/attachme...ator-zip.3396/

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2019, 11:55 PM   #12
geekengineer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeoffaith View Post
I'd build a plywood tank if I were you. You can still do 2 or 3 panels of glass and much easier to customize the size and such without sinking thousands into glass.
Yeah I was curious if people make plywood tanks for saltwater reefs? Wasn't sure if there was issues with the saltwater and the waterproofing.

I tried to make a 120 fresh tank ages ago with plywood. I gave up on it because I tried to do something to make it waterproof that was unconventional and didn't work out too well. lol Then I decided I went way overboard anyways.

Other interests DYI, 3D printing,

Current Tank Info: 30 gal saltwater and 20 gal sump
geekengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2019, 01:15 AM   #13
Jamsoury
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
Buy a tank instead.
This!

Jamsoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2019, 08:50 AM   #14
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekengineer View Post
Yeah I was curious if people make plywood tanks for saltwater reefs? Wasn't sure if there was issues with the saltwater and the waterproofing.

I tried to make a 120 fresh tank ages ago with plywood. I gave up on it because I tried to do something to make it waterproof that was unconventional and didn't work out too well. lol Then I decided I went way overboard anyways.
There are many here who have had saltwater plywood tanks running for a long time. I still haven't taken the plunge, but have thought about it many times.

lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2019, 08:33 PM   #15
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robgixxer View Post
I've been out of the hobby for about 10 years. I have the itch again. Was thinking about building my own tank. Looking to be in the 250-280 gallon range. 72" long, 36" high, and 24" deep is the maximum size I have room for. Everything that I can find tells me thickness and how to put it together with bracing the top, etc. My question is what should my bottom panel be so I can drill for overflows as tempered will shatter. Just want to make sure that the bottom will be a strong enough glass. Thanks in advance for any input.
As said above; 1 inch should be ok for the bottom.
I too am questioning the drilling of the bottom for an overflow. Maybe you dont have room or its not in the design for an external overflow box. In my mind if a bulkhead leak should happen, bottom holes will drain the whole tank.
Is it your first time at building a glass tank?
Like stated above these panels will be heavy. You will need help. It will also be difficult to get and keep them in position while siliconing the seams. Low iron glass will scratch so be very careful.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2019, 08:04 AM   #16
JTL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapin View Post
As said above; 1 inch should be ok for the bottom.
I too am questioning the drilling of the bottom for an overflow. Maybe you dont have room or its not in the design for an external overflow box. In my mind if a bulkhead leak should happen, bottom holes will drain the whole tank.
Is it your first time at building a glass tank?
Like stated above these panels will be heavy. You will need help. It will also be difficult to get and keep them in position while siliconing the seams. Low iron glass will scratch so be very careful.
A tank that size is just way to difficult for an amateur to build. Even if he gets it together my guess is it will not be a pretty sight. Glass is not cheap, in fact it is downright expensive paying retail for pieces that size and thickness.

A drilled bottom should have a overflow box running from the bottom of the tank to the top. If it is made of glass and sealed on the sides and bottom the only water that could leak to the sump is the small amount contained in the sealed box. It is also nice that if a leak should develop in a bulkhead it will drip into the sump. Getting the tank closer to the wall be eliminating the pipes on the back of the dt is also nice. I have had both and really don't have a favorite.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote