Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/21/2020, 09:04 AM   #1
Partsman41953
Registered Member

Lighting for a 90 gallon mixed reef

Hello, I am putting together a 90 gallon mixed reef using an Aqueon 48 x 18 x 24 tank and would like recommendations on lighting. I would prefer a light that simulates sunrise and sunset. I was looking at Current lighting but not sure those would be strong enough to grow the coral I would like to add, mostly soft coral. Please let me know what you would recommend.

Thanks

Current Tank Info: 10 gallon and 28 gallon
Partsman41953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2020, 03:21 PM   #2
Weboh
Registered Member

Aqua Illumination makes pretty good lighting, and it can be made to simulate sunrise/set. To get enough coverage, you would probably need 3 AI Primes. You could also go with two Hydra 26 lights, but they are probably overkill for soft coral, and you'd save a lot of money with the Primes.

Three AI Primes will definitely give you enough for soft corals; you just have to put the coral that likes the lowest light on the parts furthest from the light. I had two in my 55 gallon tank and was able to grow soft coral pretty much in the whole tank. Palys or Xenia are good for the areas furthest from the light as they are able to stretch towards it. As an added bonus, if you ever decide to grow hard corals, they are powerful enough for that as well--but only directly under the light.

Weboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2020, 02:32 AM   #3
kratosxxl
Registered Member

not trying to jack the thread but will 2x current usa 48 inch work ? i have the similar setup but 120 gall

kratosxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2020, 01:21 PM   #4
cvrle1
Registered Member

Current USA fixtures use 0.5W LEDs and should be used for shallow tanks and low light coals only. They are nowhere good enough for SPS.

With that said, why do you want sunrise/sunset? That feature does absolutely nothing for corals and their growth, so unless you want it because you really like it, save your money.

For that size of tank, you can look at several different units, and all at different price points.

1) Chinese Black Box like Viparspectra. 2 of the 165W units over your tank will grow any coral you would ever want. They dont have any features other than timers, but each cost only ~$120

2) Something like Noopsyche K7 Pro II units. 3 of those for sure would grow again any coral you imagine, and they do have lots of features. Light by itself is $110, mounting bracket is $16, and controller is $47 (need one controller)

https://www.aquariumlowcost.com/led-...or-corals.html

3) Unit like Reefbreeders photon V2/V2+ 1 unit to cover your whole tank, again lots of features and will grow any coral you want.

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/photon-48-v2/

4) and then you have your AI, Radion, Kessil and so on units. I would personaly never get those, as there are much cheaper units that are just as good, but some folks have to have these.

cvrle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2020, 04:30 PM   #5
kratosxxl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvrle1 View Post
Current USA fixtures use 0.5W LEDs and should be used for shallow tanks and low light coals only. They are nowhere good enough for SPS.

With that said, why do you want sunrise/sunset? That feature does absolutely nothing for corals and their growth, so unless you want it because you really like it, save your money.

For that size of tank, you can look at several different units, and all at different price points.

1) Chinese Black Box like Viparspectra. 2 of the 165W units over your tank will grow any coral you would ever want. They dont have any features other than timers, but each cost only ~$120

2) Something like Noopsyche K7 Pro II units. 3 of those for sure would grow again any coral you imagine, and they do have lots of features. Light by itself is $110, mounting bracket is $16, and controller is $47 (need one controller)

https://www.aquariumlowcost.com/led-...or-corals.html

3) Unit like Reefbreeders photon V2/V2+ 1 unit to cover your whole tank, again lots of features and will grow any coral you want.

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/photon-48-v2/

4) and then you have your AI, Radion, Kessil and so on units. I would personaly never get those, as there are much cheaper units that are just as good, but some folks have to have these.
So i got 2 of marine light for like $60 brand new , my tank in 20 inch high im planning just couple of softies just to add some colors , so it should work right ? initially i wanted to do FOWLR but now im thinking adding some mushrooms and GSP prob , i just hate artificial corals. I still have 2 OceanRevive LED form my old reef days it was growing SPS just fine

kratosxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2020, 07:08 PM   #6
cvrle1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratosxxl View Post
So i got 2 of marine light for like $60 brand new , my tank in 20 inch high im planning just couple of softies just to add some colors , so it should work right ? initially i wanted to do FOWLR but now im thinking adding some mushrooms and GSP prob , i just hate artificial corals. I still have 2 OceanRevive LED form my old reef days it was growing SPS just fine
If by "marine light" you mean current USA fixtures, then I would say only way they work for you is if you place GSP near the top of the tank. Even their own PAR readings show 10-20 PAR at 18"-21", which isnt anywhere enough to keep any coral alive, let alone grow.

I would use those Oceanrevive units over any current USA unit. As you said, they will grow anything just fine.

cvrle1 is offline   Reply With Quote