Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/11/2017, 03:13 AM   #1
icliao
Registered Member

What should I do?

Some kind of wierd disease wiped out my tank including hardy clown fish 7 months ago. Fish donnot exibit any symptoms yet dropped like flies. There is a unicorn fish that seem to be immune to the disease and is the only one left for the last 6 months. There were no head shake or gasping nor did any fish show any single spec of white spot.

My big question is how do I proceed to add new fish? The unicorn fish is fat and happy. Eating aggressively even though it is the only fish in the 1000GL system. I have a holding tank with 6 new fish and they are there for the last 7 months too but I did not dare to add them to the main system.

icliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 07:05 AM   #2
navychief
"Shellback"

Quote:
Originally Posted by icliao View Post
Some kind of wierd disease wiped out my tank including hardy clown fish 7 months ago. Fish donnot exibit any symptoms yet dropped like flies. There is a unicorn fish that seem to be immune to the disease and is the only one left for the last 6 months. There were no head shake or gasping nor did any fish show any single spec of white spot.

My big question is how do I proceed to add new fish? The unicorn fish is fat and happy. Eating aggressively even though it is the only fish in the 1000GL system. I have a holding tank with 6 new fish and they are there for the last 7 months too but I did not dare to add them to the main system.
icliao,

First...what are your tank parameters?

CadLights 70G, Radion XR30W Pro, 2 MP 10, Apexs, .25 HP chiller, 3 TLF reactors w/ Carbon/Bioballs, PM Kalk reactor, 24" Giesemann w/4 Actinic T5s/250W 15000K HQI, PM R30 Fuge, Cone-S Skimmer, RS Salt

Current Tank Info: 1 Paracanthurus; 2 False Percula; 1 Monacanthidae; 1 Blue Chrysiptera cyanea; 1 Lysmata debelius; 1 Eucidaris
navychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 07:10 AM   #3
icliao
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychief View Post
icliao,

First...what are your tank parameters?
The fish did not die because of poor water quality.
I have two more tanks everything is fine. I am pretty sure it is some strange disease.

My 100GL holding tank has two big Naso, powder blue, purple tang and a powder brown and I was able to maintain it without a skimmer and the fish are fat and happy and without any spots for over 6 months.

I know my sure bet is to remove the unicornfish and run the tank fallow for 4 months. I am wondering if that is necessary or should I add a test fish after quarantine it say a hippo tang and see if it lives.

Unread 11/11/2017, 07:24 AM   #4
navychief
"Shellback"

Quote:
Originally Posted by icliao View Post
The fish did not die because of poor water quality.
I have two more tanks everything is fine. I am pretty sure it is some strange disease.

My 100GL holding tank has two big Naso, powder blue, purple tang and a powder brown and I was able to maintain it without a skimmer and the fish are fat and happy and without any spots for over 6 months.

I know my sure bet is to remove the unicornfish and run the tank fallow for 4 months. I am wondering if that is necessary or should I add a test fish after quarantine it say a hippo tang and see if it lives.
Wow. There are so many variables in this. So the unicorn fish is fine? No spots seen on the fish?

CadLights 70G, Radion XR30W Pro, 2 MP 10, Apexs, .25 HP chiller, 3 TLF reactors w/ Carbon/Bioballs, PM Kalk reactor, 24" Giesemann w/4 Actinic T5s/250W 15000K HQI, PM R30 Fuge, Cone-S Skimmer, RS Salt

Current Tank Info: 1 Paracanthurus; 2 False Percula; 1 Monacanthidae; 1 Blue Chrysiptera cyanea; 1 Lysmata debelius; 1 Eucidaris
Unread 11/11/2017, 07:31 AM   #5
navychief
"Shellback"

Just a suggestion: I would also recommend that you move your discussion over to the Marine Fish forums. You'd probably get a better response. You're in the New to the Hobby forum. Me thinks you've been into saltwater fish husbandry for awhile.

Unread 11/11/2017, 07:34 AM   #6
icliao
Registered Member

I lost all of my fish in the display almost the same time 7 months ago. The fish would be feeding fine and then drop dead the next day. The unicorn fish just seem unaffected and has been the only fish for the last 6 month in display. I suspect marine velvet and the unicorn fish is the only one that has developed immunity against it. It has been over 6 months now and I am not sure if the disease is still in there. I have 5 fish in holding tank and I do not dare to add them and they have been in holding for 6 months now. The fish include a powder blue tang and all healthy and fat.

Unread 11/11/2017, 07:34 AM   #7
icliao
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychief View Post
Just a suggestion: I would also recommend that you move your discussion over to the Marine Fish forums. You'd probably get a better response. You're in the New to the Hobby forum. Me thinks you've been into saltwater fish husbandry for awhile.
Thank you. Understood.