Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/17/2014, 06:50 PM   #26
Guygettnby
Registered Member

I'm sorry I didn't respond to this thread sooner. Had too much going on and kind of forgot about it. Give me till tomorrow and I will give a full update with a few pictures of the tank currently.

Guygettnby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2014, 06:24 AM   #27
Guygettnby
Registered Member

A bit of an update to this thread. After having this light on my tank i have noticed many things good and bad. It has taken me and my corals awhile to really get used to the light. Most of my corals have started growing well under the lights. I will try to do a quick break down of my thoughts.

1:There are still a few that just dont like the LED lights compaired to my MH/T5 combo light. A few zoanthid colonies have still not opened up fully since the switch, no matter where they are placed in the tank. There are other zoanthids that do just fine. a few SPS frags have bleached some and stopped growing much at all. i have tried moving them around with no luck. then there are others that have done great. but some of this could have to do with more then just the light switch. you never know for certain, but the light did have an impact on some.

2: I still see some colors that are just not as vibrant as they were under my MH/T5 light. Mainly yellow and other shades around that. those colors just dont POP anymore, arent as vibrant as they used to be. doesnt matter how i adjust the light. Most of the corals POP more under the LED lights and almost have like a glow to them.

3:There are still dark spots of course, they just do not fill the tank like the MH/T5 combo did. I knew this would happen though and it isnt causing me to not like the lights any.

4:This light has infact saved me electricity in several ways. They dont heat up the tank or my entire family room like the MH/T5 lights did. so i no longer have to worry about my AC working over time to try and cool the house down. they suck alot less juice then my old MH/T5 light did and i am not even running the LED's at full power. I did infact see a difference in the electric bill though and have been keeping track of the bills so i could compair them to last year.

5: I still see the red and green LED's in the tank. they still seem to spot light in certain areas of the tank, but i got used to it and dont even notice it anymore.

6: The remote control is useless in my honest opinion. not like it really gives you that much control over the lights. i threw it in basket on my table and it has sat there since i got the lights. it needs to be able to turn each channel on/off, it also has to be pointed directly at the side of the light or it doesnt work. not a huge deal to me, but i thought having a remote control was a really cool feature at first.

So, all in all I am still happy with the lights and still happy i bought them. they were a cheap fixture that looks great, performs great and has yet to show any sign of issues. I would still recomend this light to anybody looking for LED lights and not looking to break the bank buying them them.

I hope this review has helped some people and i will be sure to post a few more current pictures as soon as i get a chance.

Unread 12/11/2014, 02:33 PM   #28
bfb
Registered Member

Great Thread Mate! Been curious about these LED lights. Ordering some :-)

bfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2014, 12:48 PM   #29
mpierce
Registered Member

Any further updates? I notice it has almost been 1 year. I ordered a couple of these to replace some DIY fixtures I had so I could clean up the mess hanging over my tank and give me easier access into the tank from the top. I hope 2 of these cover my 120.

120 - RETIRED
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2014, 07:09 PM   #30
Trini
Registered Member

I have the T247 LEDs also.
What settings are you using? I get a lot of brown algae on the sand.

Trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2014, 11:00 AM   #31
themaddhatter
Registered Member

Hi, can these be controlled by a controller like the Storm?

themaddhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2014, 06:01 PM   #32
Guygettnby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini View Post
I have the T247 LEDs also.
What settings are you using? I get a lot of brown algae on the sand.
If I remember correctly my blues are at 80% and whites are at 65% but I haven't messed with it in months.

You might just not have enough flow in your tank (dead spots) or have excess nutriants causing the issue.

Unread 12/27/2014, 06:02 PM   #33
Guygettnby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaddhatter View Post
Hi, can these be controlled by a controller like the Storm?
No, they can not be controlled. They have built in timers.

Unread 12/27/2014, 06:04 PM   #34
Guygettnby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpierce View Post
Any further updates? I notice it has almost been 1 year. I ordered a couple of these to replace some DIY fixtures I had so I could clean up the mess hanging over my tank and give me easier access into the tank from the top. I hope 2 of these cover my 120.
I had updated the original thread in there forum section, but there section is gone with the updated review. I will see what I can do to get more updated pictures.

Unread 12/27/2014, 10:26 PM   #35
PoggiPJ
Premium Member

Programming question

Finally mounted my three T247 units today. I love the color! My only difficulty is in understanding the programming.

Do you have any idea what H-SE mode (or status) means? The "manual" calls it "Timer Setup", and there's a notation that "Timer function ONLY works in H-S Menu. This system doesn't control the light to Power On/Off in CH1 and CH2.

Well, I "kinda" understand this to mean that if the system is off at Midnight, when morning arrives, unless it was in H-SE mode when you turned it off, it will not automatically come on???

Normally when my lights are on, the time appears in HH:MM format. Is this NOT in H-S mode?

Oh I'm so confused!

Current Tank Info: Working on a new 180 Build to replace my 220.
PoggiPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2014, 02:28 AM   #36
Cathman
Super Ninja Reefer

Yep, quirky

So, as far as i can tell if you manually use the button on the side, in order for the timers you set up to work properly (auto) you must push the button until you see that (H-SE) mode on the screen, then leave it alone.

Of note, i have not been able to figure out if you can turn on each channel individually. With mine if i manually turn it on, it turns on both channels. If i want just the blues i have to select the channel two (whites) and manually turn them to zero and vice versa if i want just whites. If someone knows how to get each one on individually when they are both set to the % or number you want for the timer to work both channels, that would be great.

Hope that all made sense. So far I like the light. The finish is very nice and the install of it is very easy with all parts needed included...sans whatever you are going to attach it too.

Cathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2014, 11:37 AM   #37
PoggiPJ
Premium Member

I'll try what you said. This morning, one of the three turned on automatically. The other two were off.

I did notice that when I turned on units 1 and 2 with the remotes, they did the following....

On
HS-E
HH:MM

Then they stayed in HH:MM (time) mode.

Unread 12/28/2014, 03:32 PM   #38
PoggiPJ
Premium Member

I think I've gotten the remote figured out - I've started the following thread.

Programming the Arctic T247

Unread 12/29/2014, 06:05 PM   #39
Guygettnby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoggiPJ View Post
I think I've gotten the remote figured out - I've started the following thread.

Programming the Arctic T247
Good job Pete.... Sorry I didn't respond to your questions sooner, I don't get a chance to check the forums much. It seems like you got it all figured out though.

Unread 12/29/2014, 06:09 PM   #40
Guygettnby
Registered Member

Some quick updated photos of my tank as of a week ago. I can't seem to get a very good atinic picture, it wouldn't matter though as you need to see in person to really get the true look.

Unread 12/30/2014, 07:44 PM   #41
greaps
Registered Member

Three pictures under an arctic. Under a lot of blues, with some natural light from a window.

greaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2015, 11:33 PM   #42
cchomistek
Registered Member

I am very interested in these lights. I have a 60"x30"wx26"H tank and I contacted Kelly and he said that 2 units would work for my tank. Seeing as you have 2 units over your 72 gallon tank I would think I would need 3 units.

What are your thoughts since you have some experience with the spread of these lights.

cchomistek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2015, 11:59 PM   #43
Guygettnby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchomistek View Post
I am very interested in these lights. I have a 60"x30"wx26"H tank and I contacted Kelly and he said that 2 units would work for my tank. Seeing as you have 2 units over your 72 gallon tank I would think I would need 3 units.

What are your thoughts since you have some experience with the spread of these lights.
Honestly, I was told from day one that the arctic line of lights would cover a 24"x24" area and be able to grow anything. Outside of that 24"x24" area the light starts to fade off. The higher you lift the fixture, the wider the spread will be. The more you lift the fixture, the less penetration you will get.

With that said, I never even turned the lights up past 80% and have SPS growing in the bottom part of my tank and a clam on the sand. My lights are hanging 8" above the tank and probably 10" from the water. With my lights set up this way, I still have a little spill over out of the tank. So the penetration is not an issue here. The only thing I could see being an issue would be the coverage area for you. My opinion for you would be buy 2 fixtures and add a 3rd if you really need it. You could always keep the higher light corals more towards the center of your tank and lower light corals on the edges.

I hope that helps you out some. If you have any more questions I will help were I can.

Last edited by Guygettnby; 01/05/2015 at 12:09 AM.
Unread 01/19/2015, 03:19 PM   #44
PoggiPJ
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchomistek View Post

My tank is also 72", but it is divided into three openings by two glass braces. I purchased three, and I'm happy with the spread. I only have them at 20% of intensity, and the light penetrates fine.

Unread 04/24/2018, 05:21 PM   #45
Zephrant
Premium Member

Thread revival.

Got my two lights yesterday, for a 72G bowfront. Am happy with them so far, but didn't like the mounting brackets much. They would not work with my glass tops I'm currently using, so I made some new ones.

Middle bracket:

End brackets (2):

They just sit on top now. I like to be able to slide them forward/back for access.
I'll post some pictures of the printed parts tonight.

It only took a few minutes to draw them, but I'll put the STLs up on Thingiverse if anyone wants them.

Zephrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2018, 10:24 AM   #46
Zephrant
Premium Member

Unread 04/25/2018, 11:25 AM   #47
Sinclair81
Registered Member

Have they slid of sideways?

Sinclair81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2018, 04:38 PM   #48
Zephrant
Premium Member

I adjusted the thumbscrews to put a bit of a pull-in tension on the end pieces, so no, they are solid. I can slide them forward/back to clean, or just pull out the glass lids.

I was considering using double-sided tape if they had problems with sliding off. With the lids, I can't really hook the inside edge of the tank without being in the way of the glass.

Probably will replace the lids at some point, but for now, I want to keep down the evaporation.