Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/16/2011, 06:40 AM   #251
frankpayne32
Registered Member

Two weekends ago I made a trip to Atlanta with my family primarily to see the Georgia Aquarium. I have been to all of the major aquariums in the continental US and I have to say it is definitely the best. We went two days and loved it both times. Here are some of the best pics of the aquarium:

Great way to say hi to the penguins

Weedy sea dragon

Feeding time for the whale sharks

Advice to new hobbyists: listen to people that have a tank you would like to have one day, not to those with a high post count.

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon in-wall (build thread is my homepage).
frankpayne32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2011, 06:47 AM   #252
frankpayne32
Registered Member

Georgia Aquarium - Part 2

Whale shark

Concave view panel into Ocean Deep

Daily cleaning of the reef

And I thought my tank was big...

Advice to new hobbyists: listen to people that have a tank you would like to have one day, not to those with a high post count.

Last edited by frankpayne32; 05/16/2011 at 07:25 AM.
Unread 05/16/2011, 06:49 AM   #253
frankpayne32
Registered Member

Georgia Aquarium - Part 3

Ocean Deep: The World's Largest Aquarium

Unread 05/16/2011, 07:16 AM   #254
frankpayne32
Registered Member

Georgia Aquarium - Part 4

We took the behind the scenes tour of the aquarium (completely worth it) and got a chance to look down on the Ocean Deep exhibit. It was so amazing to have a 25 foot whale shark swim right by you.

The surge on the coral reef tank:

Garden eels are so cool.

Unread 05/16/2011, 07:19 AM   #255
frankpayne32
Registered Member

Georgia Aquarium - Part 5

The main nexus of the aquarium.

Part of their freshwater exhibit.

African cichlid tank.

Discus tank.

Ray/shark touch tank.

I hope you enjoyed the pics as much as I enjoyed taking them. Sorry for the complete lack of order. Enjoy!

Unread 05/16/2011, 09:00 AM   #256
Uncle Salty 05
Registered Member

Very cool!
I didn't know Atlanta had an aquarium. Is it new?
Might be passing through in October, would like to check it out.
Is it near I-75?

Current Tank Info: 180 gal reef tank with dual attached refugiums 20 long and 10 gallon. Plus 55 gallon True Percula breeding tank.
Uncle Salty 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2011, 09:50 AM   #257
frankpayne32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Salty 05 View Post
Very cool!
I didn't know Atlanta had an aquarium. Is it new?
Might be passing through in October, would like to check it out.
Is it near I-75?
Yepp, it is pretty new, something like five or six years open to the public. It is the world's largest aquarium. It is directly off of 75. If you have the opportunity definitely stop, it is well worth it.

Unread 05/16/2011, 10:08 AM   #258
Uncle Salty 05
Registered Member

Cool!
If I get the chance I definietly will.
Thanks.

Current Tank Info: 180 gal reef tank with dual attached refugiums 20 long and 10 gallon. Plus 55 gallon True Percula breeding tank.
Unread 05/16/2011, 10:23 AM   #259
frankpayne32
Registered Member

Quote:
Cool!
If I get the chance I definietly will.
Thanks.
No problem.

Unread 05/19/2011, 06:45 AM   #260
frankpayne32
Registered Member

New octopus video.

My octopus is becoming more bold every day. It rarely hides anymore. He definitely associates me with food and seems to get very excited when I enter my fish room. Right now I am just trying to teach him that while I give him food my hand is not food lol. He still likes to pull my fingers like he thinks that's his food. Here is a video I took last night of our interaction. Sorry for the shakiness and poor quality. I was filming with my phone with one hand and interacting with him/her with the other. Enjoy!

Unread 05/19/2011, 06:47 AM   #261
frankpayne32
Registered Member

Updated tank video tour.

The quality is bad and the color is way off but oh well, enjoy!

Unread 05/19/2011, 07:20 AM   #262
Uncle Salty 05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpayne32 View Post
My octopus is becoming more bold every day. It rarely hides anymore. He definitely associates me with food and seems to get very excited when I enter my fish room. Right now I am just trying to teach him that while I give him food my hand is not food lol. He still likes to pull my fingers like he thinks that's his food. Here is a video I took last night of our interaction. Sorry for the shakiness and poor quality. I was filming with my phone with one hand and interacting with him/her with the other. Enjoy!
That is extremely cool! I love cephalopods.
I just recently acquired 3 cuttlefish eggs. Hopefully I will have some video in a few weeks. (if I can figure out how to post it)

Unread 05/19/2011, 07:23 AM   #263
frankpayne32
Registered Member

Quote:
That is extremely cool! I love cephalopods.
I just recently acquired 3 cuttlefish eggs. Hopefully I will have some video in a few weeks. (if I can figure out how to post it)
Awesome! They are definitely up there on my list of favorite animals. Where did you get the ceph eggs? Are you planning on raising mysis to feed them? Let me know when you post info/vids on them, I'd definitely be interested in learning more about them.

Unread 05/19/2011, 07:28 AM   #264
sponger0
Registered Member

Wow....now I have a reason to visit georgia lol. I thought there was a bigger aquarium in Toyko. Anyone correct me if im wrong

sponger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2011, 07:31 AM   #265
frankpayne32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger0 View Post
Wow....now I have a reason to visit georgia lol. I thought there was a bigger aquarium in Toyko. Anyone correct me if im wrong
Definitely worth the visit. Not 100% about the aquarium in Tokyo but Georgia advertises itself as the world's largest.

Unread 05/19/2011, 07:52 AM   #266
Uncle Salty 05
Registered Member

Quote:
Awesome! They are definitely up there on my list of favorite animals. Where did you get the ceph eggs? Are you planning on raising mysis to feed them? Let me know when you post info/vids on them, I'd definitely be interested in learning more about them.
One of the local shops, Exotic Aquatic sends me weekly updates of the stuff they get in. I saw cuttlefish eggs and immediately called them to hold some for me. I am hoping I can get them started eating on the amphipods in my refugiums. If not I will have to order some live mysids or try to find a place where I can collect my own wild ones. (I love living in Florida)
I had an encounter with a mated pair a couple of weeks ago while snorkeling.
It was very cool, they swam right up to me and were as interested in me as I was in them. They say there are no cuttlefish in the western hemisphere, but that was my second time seeing them at the beach.
If they hatch and grow I will post pics or video on this thread.

Unread 05/19/2011, 08:02 AM   #267
frankpayne32
Registered Member

Quote:
One of the local shops, Exotic Aquatic sends me weekly updates of the stuff they get in. I saw cuttlefish eggs and immediately called them to hold some for me. I am hoping I can get them started eating on the amphipods in my refugiums. If not I will have to order some live mysids or try to find a place where I can collect my own wild ones. (I love living in Florida)
I had an encounter with a mated pair a couple of weeks ago while snorkeling.
It was very cool, they swam right up to me and were as interested in me as I was in them. They say there are no cuttlefish in the western hemisphere, but that was my second time seeing them at the beach.
If they hatch and grow I will post pics or video on this thread.
Very cool. I've done some reading on them at tonmo and from what I understand you need a pretty steady supply of food for the youngsters. Unless you have a ton of amphipods you'll probably need some live mysids. Good luck!

Unread 05/19/2011, 08:12 AM   #268
Uncle Salty 05
Registered Member

Quote:
Very cool. I've done some reading on them at tonmo and from what I understand you need a pretty steady supply of food for the youngsters. Unless you have a ton of amphipods you'll probably need some live mysids. Good luck!
Yeah, I've been doing some research on tonmo as well.
I do have a pretty good supply of amphipods, and I am hoping I can find a wild source of mysids. I have read that they are prevalent on both Florida coasts.

Unread 05/19/2011, 11:19 AM   #269
flyhigh123
funky member

do you have any closeups of where the black bezel of the tank meets the white framing? how about the glass tank to the white frmaing? does the black bezel leave a gap in the glass to white frame? thanks!

flyhigh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2011, 11:30 AM   #270
frankpayne32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post
do you have any closeups of where the black bezel of the tank meets the white framing? how about the glass tank to the white frmaing? does the black bezel leave a gap in the glass to white frame? thanks!
I assume the bezel is the plastic rim around the aquarium? If so then it bumps right up against the moulding. It can be seen if you look at the right angle but not from straight on. No closeups but these angled pics show it reasonably well. Hope that helps.

Also, here is a pic before the moulding was added. You can see how the stand was incorporated into the wall and the tank is pushed all the way up to the outer edge of the wall.

Unread 05/19/2011, 11:31 AM   #271
jlylec
Registered Member

that little octopus is so cool. do you have to keep them separate from other life or could you put one in a mixed reef?

jlylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2011, 11:33 AM   #272
frankpayne32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlylec View Post
that little octopus is so cool. do you have to keep them separate from other life or could you put one in a mixed reef?
Some people try. They will eat all crustaceans and most snails and fish. However, they will leave corals alone. But, even the diurnal ones aren't huge fans of tons of light.

Unread 05/19/2011, 11:57 AM   #273
jlylec
Registered Member

Quote:
Some people try. They will eat all crustaceans and most snails and fish. However, they will leave corals alone. But, even the diurnal ones aren't huge fans of tons of light.
yeah i just read backwards in your thread and saw that about the crustaceans and fish. Should have done that first!

This is a great idea to plumb in another tank and have somewhere to keep something like that and add to your total volume. So is there nothing else in that tank with the octopus?

jlylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2011, 12:06 PM   #274
frankpayne32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlylec View Post
yeah i just read backwards in your thread and saw that about the crustaceans and fish. Should have done that first!

This is a great idea to plumb in another tank and have somewhere to keep something like that and add to your total volume. So is there nothing else in that tank with the octopus?
Yeah, I'm really glad I did it. This means I can keep ugly frag plugs out of the tank too but still only have to maintain one system.

There's nothing else in with the octopus besides live rock and sand.

Unread 05/19/2011, 02:05 PM   #275
flyhigh123
funky member

Quote:
I assume the bezel is the plastic rim around the aquarium? If so then it bumps right up against the moulding. It can be seen if you look at the right angle but not from straight on. No closeups but these angled pics show it reasonably well. Hope that helps.

Also, here is a pic before the moulding was added. You can see how the stand was incorporated into the wall and the tank is pushed all the way up to the outer edge of the wall.
thanks for more info!

For the area without the black bezel, meaning the glass edge running from top to bottom, is there a gab from one room to the other?

flyhigh123 is offline   Reply With Quote