Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/18/2018, 11:21 PM   #1
mav.23
Registered Member

Adding a Six-Line Wrasse?

Hey! I'm looking to add a six-line wrasse to my 50-gal (and with either 10 or 20 gal sump soon) I have 2 ocellaris, a convict blenny, yellowtail blue damsel and Valentini puffer as well as a emerald crab. I have a bunch of open space in my tank, and wrasses are very pretty. I know like most things in fish keeping they are hit-or-miss but I have been told they are peaceful, will get along w clowns as long as they are the last to be added. I've also heard they are ok until they reach sexual maturity.. does anyone have experience? I love the thought of a more active fish... most of mine hover or are hiding lol

mav.23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 05:38 AM   #2
gurpm
Registered Member

Shouldn't be a problem

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

gurpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 05:55 AM   #3
albano
SALTWATER since '73

IME, 6 lines can become very aggressive and I would never recommend them to anyone.

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 06:22 AM   #4
krs1102
Registered Member

If you haven't already, do some searches on this forum for the six line wrasse and read up on experiences. You see a ton of posts with people saying "never again" - I would find a different wrasse.

krs1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 11:52 AM   #5
mav.23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krs1102 View Post
If you haven't already, do some searches on this forum for the six line wrasse and read up on experiences. You see a ton of posts with people saying "never again" - I would find a different wrasse.
That is good advice, I'll do more research

Unread 08/19/2018, 11:53 AM   #6
mav.23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
IME, 6 lines can become very aggressive and I would never recommend them to anyone.
Is there another wrasse that looks similar that is more docile?

Unread 08/19/2018, 11:53 AM   #7
mav.23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurpm View Post
Shouldn't be a problem

Thanks!

Unread 08/19/2018, 12:45 PM   #8
gurpm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav.23 View Post
Is there another wrasse that looks similar that is more docile?
The rest of your tank is semi aggressive non predators... The six line will fit right in, if out try a mystery or similar wrasse that does not get big

gurpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 12:54 PM   #9
mav.23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurpm View Post
The rest of your tank is semi aggressive non predators... The six line will fit right in, if out try a mystery or similar wrasse that does not get big

Ok thanks! I’m getting the wrasse while it’s young, so hopefully it will be okay.

Unread 08/19/2018, 06:10 PM   #10
OrionN
Moved on

They are aggressive, you likely not able to add any more small fish or any other wrasse. This should be OK since you seem to reach the limit in your tank's stocking.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 07:54 PM   #11
mav.23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
They are aggressive, you likely not able to add any more small fish or any other wrasse. This should be OK since you seem to reach the limit in your tank's stocking.
Okay, thank you. I have a baby clown so should I wait for the baby to get older? I heard they're the last thing you should add

Unread 08/19/2018, 09:27 PM   #12
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Look at the Melanurus Wrasse. They look similar to the six line, are very hardy, are super active, and get along with pretty much any other fish. The only possible drawback is that they can have a taste for some invertebrates, especially worms, but some snails and crabs as well. I do not keep any inverts other than anemones, so they have been a staple in my tanks for a long time.

Unread 08/19/2018, 09:50 PM   #13
OrionN
Moved on

I agree with lpsouth1978. Either H. biocellatus (Redline Wrasse) or H. melanurus would be OK in a 50 gal tank. Both would be superior to a 6-Line wrasse in term of look, however both do get bigger than a 6-line, to about 4 inches max.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 08/20/2018, 07:56 AM   #14
nereefpat
Registered Member

Sixlines always make the list of things people wished they wouldn't have added to their tanks.

Pink streaked wrasse would be much better. So would any flasher and almost any fairy. The smaller Halichoeres would be great too, like the redline Minh mentioned, or H. crysus or vrolik's.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2018, 08:57 PM   #15
OrionN
Moved on

Here is the progress of my Melanurus wrasse. He is not fully colored yet. He is significantly larger then a 6 line, but much more beautiful, when he is full grown. I have had him for about 2.5 months. He colored up quite a bit and his tail start to have a pattern since when I first got him from Petco.

2.5 months ago

1.5 months ago

A few days ago

Unread 08/21/2018, 09:05 PM   #16
brianbrainstein
Registered Member

I love my Melanurus Wrasse, he is constantly hunting around the tank. I’d highly recommend one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianbrainstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2018, 06:10 PM   #17
mav.23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpsouth1978 View Post
Look at the Melanurus Wrasse. They look similar to the six line, are very hardy, are super active, and get along with pretty much any other fish. The only possible drawback is that they can have a taste for some invertebrates, especially worms, but some snails and crabs as well. I do not keep any inverts other than anemones, so they have been a staple in my tanks for a long time.
Thank you! I have an emerald crab, but I already have a Valentini puffer so for the most part my tank is invert free. I'll for sure look into them.

Unread 08/22/2018, 06:11 PM   #18
mav.23
Registered Member

Quote:
I agree with lpsouth1978. Either H. biocellatus (Redline Wrasse) or H. melanurus would be OK in a 50 gal tank. Both would be superior to a 6-Line wrasse in term of look, however both do get bigger than a 6-line, to about 4 inches max.

Thank you! It will take about six years though, right? Once I finish up school and move out, I have some money saved up for a larger tank. Just isn't room now. Thanks!

Unread 08/23/2018, 06:48 PM   #19
mav.23
Registered Member

Quote:
Here is the progress of my Melanurus wrasse. He is not fully colored yet. He is significantly larger then a 6 line, but much more beautiful, when he is full grown. I have had him for about 2.5 months. He colored up quite a bit and his tail start to have a pattern since when I first got him from Petco.

2.5 months ago

1.5 months ago

A few days ago

What a beauty! I am placing the order next week! I've read about them, and they sound like a perfect fish to add

Unread 08/24/2018, 10:59 AM   #20
LPS_Blasto
Registered Member

I had a 6-line wrasse ..... once.

Never again.

His name was not repeatable on this forum - and he earned it.

I also has an ocellarius clown.... once. I will NEVER have another clown fish in ANY tank. They're part of the damsel family and they are JERKS.

LPS_Blasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2018, 03:24 PM   #21
mav.23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPS_Blasto View Post
I had a 6-line wrasse ..... once.

Never again.

His name was not repeatable on this forum - and he earned it.

I also has an ocellarius clown.... once. I will NEVER have another clown fish in ANY tank. They're part of the damsel family and they are JERKS.
I'll take your word for the wrasse, but I have to disagree with you about all clownfish being jerks. I have two and they are as mellow as can be. My female only chases fish after they pick on her or the little one. I haven't seen her attack or nip another fish ever. She even ignores the damsel. It really depends on personality. But if they grow up alone, they are more likely to be hostile to tank mates. I only buy my fish when they are babies so they can be socialized with my fish from a young age. It's kinda like how dogs are I guess. If they don't have any dog friends, they are mean to other dogs. But personality plays a big role too, as well as tank size, what the clown's tank mates are and how much food they have. Thanks!

Unread 09/04/2018, 06:31 PM   #22
MAMGM
Registered Member

I always thought the Sir Lanca wrasse was a good choice for a mixed reef. Mine is very active and has been a model citizen

MAMGM is offline   Reply With Quote