Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/16/2018, 07:59 PM   #1
idan555
Registered Member

Coralife UV sterilizer

Any one head about this one? good/bad?
Some people said not to run UV sterilizer in reef tank? is that true?
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1996912

Dan.

idan555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2018, 09:03 PM   #2
idan555
Registered Member

This one:
https://coralifeproducts.com/Files/P...structions.pdf

Unread 05/16/2018, 10:02 PM   #3
2_zoa
Registered Member

Uv is one of those things. It seems either not too many employ them or folks just aren’t very voictress about them.

They are also very much based on the quality of the unit. So they are unfortunately an expensive piece of gear. Even though I have zero experience with the one you listed. I’m willing to bet it isn’t worth playing with. Aqua UV is one of the best and having only used 2 different UV products personally. Aqua UV and a lifeguard aquatics canister style. The Aqua UV out performs the particular lifeguard I have hands down. To top it off, the Aqua UV (8 watt) was only half the wattage. I switched because the lifeguard (15 watt) fits my system better and allows me more space under the stand. I could tell it’s not as good within a weeks time.

As the thread you linked mentions. Flow rates through the UV dictate what benefits you’ll receive out of them. Flow rate and clean water is very important hen employing a UV.

The current uv I’m using
https://www.marinedepot.com/Lifegard...CABEgLTEfD_BwE

The Aqua UV I had running
https://www.marinedepot.com/Aqua_UV_...AV2113-vi.html

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 05:20 AM   #4
RobZilla04
Registered Member

What size tank?

If you're set on getting one, get a quality one. Aqua UV is quality. They come up used in the For Sale section here often.

Unread 05/17/2018, 02:20 PM   #5
hkgar
Registered Member

If you decide on a UV sterilizer send me a PM. I have a coral life 18 Watt I would sell you.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 07:31 PM   #6
NO3
In Memoriam

Your model shown above is a nitrate-factory that you have to clean out every month.

I've used SUBMERSIBLE ones, like the one below !BUT! the UV light CANNOT shine on any coral or fish or it will kill them. it has to be submersed in a sump AWAY from anything living.

That includes YOU. I cleaned out my sump for 5mins one day and didnt turn off the UVC light 2ft away from my face. The next day my face was 3-shades of sunburn. NO JOKE. UVC is wicked but an awesome tool if you 100% respect the power.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-St...submersible+uv

NO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2018, 06:46 PM   #7
idan555
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3 View Post
Your model shown above is a nitrate-factory that you have to clean out every month.

I've used SUBMERSIBLE ones, like the one below !BUT! the UV light CANNOT shine on any coral or fish or it will kill them. it has to be submersed in a sump AWAY from anything living.

That includes YOU. I cleaned out my sump for 5mins one day and didnt turn off the UVC light 2ft away from my face. The next day my face was 3-shades of sunburn. NO JOKE. UVC is wicked but an awesome tool if you 100% respect the power.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-St...submersible+uv
Is it good? loks ike you don't need pump for that. for the light problem I can still drop it in PVC tube in my sump. (I don't want the light will kill my algae scrubber).

Why the Coralife is nitrate factory?, I doesn't have sponges inside, just a cover.

Unread 05/18/2018, 06:47 PM   #8
idan555
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
What size tank?

If you're set on getting one, get a quality one. Aqua UV is quality. They come up used in the For Sale section here often.
The tank is 60 with 20 gal sump.
This one after all is not cheap at all: 154$.

Unread 05/18/2018, 06:50 PM   #9
Bent
I got nothin'

Don’t those models have a steel reflector that rusts? I think I remember seeing threads about it about a decade ago.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2018, 09:37 PM   #10
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idan555 View Post
The tank is 60 with 20 gal sump.
This one after all is not cheap at all: 154$.
It is cheaply built. Look at what you get vs the others. The price it’s sold for doesn’t mean it’s quality. It means it’s over priced.

I already gave you a comparison of two different brands. The way they are built and the parts used to do so matter. Period.

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2018, 07:36 AM   #11
Timfish
Registered Member

This system had a 120 watt UV running for years at the time of this video so they certainly can be used with corals. As for your original question no they are not needed if you QT EVERYTHING before adding them to your system (the cysts can be transferred from a contaminated system on any rock or equipment). While others claim they are useless battling ick I have used them repeatedly in my maintenance business to eradicate ick from reef systems. The caveots are they have to be properly sized, the flow rate has to maximise the kill rate, they have to be installed to maximise the intake of the larval (won't work if it's stuck on the sump) and they almost certainly will not be effective short term if you already are losing fish to an ick infestation.

I would go with the Aqua UV mentioned above. I've messed with the Coralife UVs and have been seriously under impressed.