Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/24/2019, 02:02 AM   #1
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Australian giganteas

I found 2 small giganteas at a local store today. They looked healthy and not bleached so I took them both. One of them seems actually to be of decent size. In the bag it inflated so much that it filled it out. But when I took it out of the bag and placed it into the QT it contacted again. These are the first pictures of them right after they went into the QT.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2019, 06:48 AM   #2
OrionN
Moved on

I was told that Australian Gigantea cost a lot mainly due to the small numbers allowed to collected. Two legs and an arm. You ended up in a wheel chair buying one of those.
Do you know for sure yours were from Australia?
Nice looking Gigantea

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2019, 07:02 AM   #3
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I was told that Australian Gigantea cost a lot mainly due to the small numbers allowed to collected. Two legs and an arm. You ended up in a wheel chair buying one of those.
Do you know for sure yours were from Australia?
Nice looking Gigantea
Well, its what the store owner told me. And they have other things that come from there. These giganteas came with a recent shipment that contained a good number of haddoni.
I actually didn't pay a lot for them.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 11/24/2019, 08:15 AM   #4
OrionN
Moved on

This is the season for small Gigantea. Traditionally late fall and early winter is when there is a large numbers of Gigantea were collected. I would not consider a flood of Gigantea but a lot more of them.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2019, 01:40 PM   #5
D-Nak
Registered Member

Very nice. I'm curious to see how these look when fully expanded.

Unread 11/24/2019, 09:23 PM   #6
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Video of them in quarantine:

https://youtu.be/Me8DcD0GlUQ

Unread 11/29/2019, 04:17 PM   #7
ChizerBunoi
Registered Member

Very nice find. Gigs are very rare in my country. But to see you get 3 is so awesome.

ChizerBunoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2019, 07:27 PM   #8
QuickxSilver
Registered Member

What's the QT protocol you are using and are you treating with any chemicals?

QuickxSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2019, 01:04 PM   #9
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickxSilver View Post
What's the QT protocol you are using and are you treating with any chemicals?
Just observation and treatment only if they show signs of infection.
Both gigs and the BTA are doing well so no treatment needed at this point. All are still pretty contract, most likely due the hard flow I have in that tank.

Unread 12/05/2019, 04:34 PM   #10
QuickxSilver
Registered Member

Thanks, I'll start doing the same. I would hate for a disease to take out my nems.

QuickxSilver is offline   Reply With Quote