Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/27/2018, 06:28 PM   #1
Nvanells
Registered Member

New to saltwater 93 cube build

I'm finally taking the plunge and starting a reef tank. I've had Africans for the past 20 years.
I'm now waiting for the stand and canopy to be built. Hopefully it'll be done in a month. Mean while the post man is dropping boxes off daily. More to come with lots of questions coming your way.

Nvanells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2018, 04:34 PM   #2
ydrsbtr97
Registered Member

I want to get this tank going so bad. I'm waiting on my custom cabinet and canopy to get built. I splurged on the cabinet and canopy since it will be in our kitchen. I had to go with some cheaper equipment to stay somewhat close my budget. I've got most of the stuff I need to know get it set up. I'm also waiting on a custom sump from Bashsea. I wanted to have the biggest sump I could comfortably fit under the stand with enough room for the bashsea blue devil skimmer I bought from a local reefer. 24x15x15 bio fuge should meet my needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ydrsbtr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2018, 04:37 PM   #3
ydrsbtr97
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydrsbtr97 View Post

I want to get this tank going so bad. I'm waiting on my custom cabinet and canopy to get built. I splurged on the cabinet and canopy since it will be in our kitchen. I had to go with some cheaper equipment to stay somewhat close my budget. I've got most of the stuff I need to know get it set up. I'm also waiting on a custom sump from Bashsea. I wanted to have the biggest sump I could comfortably fit under the stand with enough room for the bashsea blue devil skimmer I bought from a local reefer. 24x15x15 bio fuge should meet my needs.

Ha I guess I have two accounts here. I just started using tapatalk and it logged into my old account.

Unread 04/04/2018, 04:40 PM   #4
ydrsbtr97
Registered Member

RO is mounted and trash cans in place. I have run a water line and electrical cord so I can use this for my ATO and water changes. I'm not planning keeping the ATO trash can full. Just in case something goes wrong I don't want 30 gallons pumping up stairs and wreaking havoc.

Unread 04/04/2018, 04:44 PM   #5
ydrsbtr97
Registered Member

One good thing about waiting, it has allowed me to really do some research. I've watched about every video I can find and have poured through forum after forum. Knowledge is key with this hobby. Much more complicated than my African cichlid tank.

Hopefully these guys don't get jealous.

Unread 04/12/2018, 03:21 PM   #6
Nvanells
Registered Member

Another goodie arrived today! I'm getting excited to get this going.

Unread 05/01/2018, 04:18 AM   #7
Nvanells
Registered Member

My tank, stand and canopy came into my LFS on 4/20. Of course on 4/18 I found it I had to go to Mexico for work until 4/23-4/27. Killing me!
I picked them up yesterday. Just waiting on a few plumbing pieces to begin.

Unread 05/03/2018, 05:00 PM   #8
cellingson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvanells View Post
My tank, stand and canopy came into my LFS on 4/20. Of course on 4/18 I found it I had to go to Mexico for work until 4/23-4/27. Killing me!
I picked them up yesterday. Just waiting on a few plumbing pieces to begin.

Following!

cellingson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2018, 04:47 AM   #9
Nvanells
Registered Member

Back from Mexico now, would have loved to have this up and running by now. I had another set back, muscle spasm in my back. Which has rendered me unable to bend over. My doctor prescribed me a muscle relaxer which allowed me to do a little.
I've got the lights mounted and fans installed in the stand and canopy. I'm hoping my back gets better sonj can get this thing plumbed and filled this week.

Unread 05/09/2018, 05:12 PM   #10
Nvanells
Registered Member

Now we're getting somewhere.

Unread 05/12/2018, 09:27 PM   #11
Nvanells
Registered Member

I

Finally got some water in and with that 80 lbs of live rock. Starting to see some hitchhikers.

Unread 05/14/2018, 06:39 PM   #12
Nvanells
Registered Member

Ok so who's forgotten to glue a fitting? Me! Had to take the drain line down.

I replaced the marineland setup for the overflow drain. I could not get it dialed in to silence it. No holes just the vent tube coming out the top.

I've found four bristle worms so far from my live rock.

Unread 05/17/2018, 04:35 AM   #13
Nvanells
Registered Member

I've been playing around with getting the flow dialed into and out of the sump. When I open the gate valve more on the drain I get micro bubbles. They go away if I close the valve a little bit. Why is this happening?

Unread 05/17/2018, 01:45 PM   #14
reenact12321
Registered Member

Looking pretty good! Don't sweat the hitchhikers. At first you'll put every rock and tiny organism under scrutiny, as you get used to the hobby you begin to realize that as long as things are not particularly destructive (coral eating slugs) or out of control (aiptasia, GHA, Cyano, goddam vermatid snails) that it's a garden, a healthy ecosystem has critters.

reenact12321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 05:27 PM   #15
Nvanells
Registered Member

We're enjoying seeing all of the things that are coming alive from the live rock.

I'm going to be getting a clean up crew going soon. Ive got crazy hair algae growing every where. Lots and lots of pods everywhere.

Tank is cycling nice, I'm dosing ammonia. I'm able to get it to 2 or so ppm. Within a day or two it's right back down. I wanna do this a few more times before getting my first fish.

Unread 06/18/2018, 05:56 AM   #16
Nvanells
Registered Member

We added our first purchased inhabitants today. Three turbo snails, three trochus snails and an emerald crab. We love watching the crab go to town on all of the hair algae.

Unread 06/26/2018, 05:48 PM   #17
Nvanells
Registered Member

We have our first fish! They're doing great so far and are eating any food I put in. My four year old daughter named them bubblegum and beanie.