Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/05/2007, 06:34 AM   #1
3fins
Registered Member

Are these ok?

Hi, I just bought my mom a pico and i came last night. Im thinking about starting a dwarf tank. im aware of the brine shrimp hatching, but i was wondering if it was ok to put zoos and a fether duster...or some ..i dunno somthing realy pretty and i dint know witch ones to put in there or not. Im thinking some live rock 3lb and some sand about 1'' deep.
please leave a list of corals and iverts.

thanx for your time and help 3fins

3fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2007, 08:25 AM   #2
ReefNutPA
Registered Member

Hi! You'll need to do quite a bit of research on your own Since this will be your first try at dwarfs, I'll keep it simple. No corals. No inverts. No zoas. No feather duster.

Any live rock/live sand must be treated with panacur to eliminate hydroids. Dwarf seahorse tanks are not mini-reefs nor can they be set up as one.

Tom

ReefNutPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2007, 10:37 AM   #3
ann83
Registered Member

Instead of corals, you can put in seagrasses and colorful macros. Macros come in a variety of colors and can make an aquarium just as beautiful as one with corals in it.
I second the comment on panacuring your live rock. Hitchhikers, even small ones like hydroids, are a big problem in a dwarf aquarium.
There may be a snail or something you can put in, like a stomatella, but nothing predatory in the slightest. The dwarf forum on seahorse.org has been discussing "tankmates" lately, if you want to check out those discussions, but it is pretty much unanimous that you can't have tankmates with dsh.
Still, a dwarf aquarium can be very pretty without all that other stuff. Macros are wonderful, and don't forget you can always use fake corals instead.

ann83 is offline   Reply With Quote