Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/19/2017, 09:45 PM   #6501
afqu
Registered Member

Macro-algae Lighting ?
I have a 90g. "wave" reef, 9 years running. Doing a good cleaning and new bulbs.....again.
I want to add a fair amount of macroalgae in the display, so the lighting (6 t5s) needs to be different. I want my reds to look red, the mushrooms and the algae. Any advice would be appreciated. I am planning on........

ATI 4- Blu+
1- 6500k
1- ?
or some other combo? and the placement?

afqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 10:25 PM   #6502
Bpb
Registered Member

4 blue+ and either 2 6500k, or 6500k + purple+, or 6500k + 3000k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 01:26 PM   #6503
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

For algae, I'd run a 50/50 of blue plus and GE6500k

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 05:57 PM   #6504
reefslugs
Registered Member

Ati

So what ATI bulbs of each color put out the most par?

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 200g mixed reef, 65g sump/fugium, 4 Viporspectra LED's, Tunze 2105 x 2 with controller, Simplicity return pump & skimmer, Octopus calcium reactor, lots of love.
reefslugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 10:37 PM   #6505
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefslugs View Post
So what ATI bulbs of each color put out the most par?
They're all relatively close. The Blue Plus and Aquablue are tops for PAR. However, the blue plus and Actinic will have the most PUR.

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
Unread 03/22/2017, 01:06 AM   #6506
janci
Registered Member

So we hear a lot of ATI bulbs suggestions, but is there anybody with experience with the Pacific Sun bulbs? They claim to have their own spectrum and the looks seem great. Saw the Crystal Blue bulb the other day and I was happily enjoyed. Nice colour and coral reacted well. Any other experience so far?

janci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2017, 06:19 AM   #6507
paal
Registered Member

I am running Pac Sun's hybrid fixture: 8X39W T5 / 2x 145W LED.

Pac Sun Crystal Blue
Pac Sun Pigment +
Giesemann Pure Actinic
Pac Sun Crystal Blue

LED LED (All channels set to roughly the same values; 33% [red/amber a bit lower])

Pac Sun Crystal Blue
Giesemann Pure Actinic
Pac Sun Pigment Int.
Pac Sun Crystal Blue

I am very happy with how the Pac Sun bulbs look.
Not much to compare them to unfortunately as this is my first T5 setup and I have only replaced bulbs a few times.

My previous setup was 50-50 Giesemann Actinic Blue / Pac Sun Spectra +

I have to say I did not see any difference when changing from G.Act.Blue to the blue PS.C Blue bulbs, and I believe I have read that the G.Act.Blue is slightly darker blue than the ATI Blue+. If so, that should apply to the PS.C Blue as well IMO. (Never tried B+ myself)

I was also a but surprised (in a good way) when I tried the Pac Sun Pigment Int the first time. I thought this would create a much more purple hue than it actually did.
It is hard to compare online pictures to what you see on your own system, but from what I can tell from online pictures, the Pac Sun Pigment Int seems a bit less purple than the ATI purple+ (???)

I have also a set of Pac Sun Ultrawide UV bulbs.
I tried to run them in this setup:

Pac Sun Crystal Blue
Pac Sun Pigment +
Pac Sun Ultrawide UV
Pac Sun Crystal Blue

LED LED

Pac Sun Crystal Blue
Pac Sun Ultrawide UV
Pac Sun Pigment Int.
Pac Sun Crystal Blue

It was OK, but a bit too turquoise for me. I adjusted the LEDs accordingly (no green, no teal and set red channels similar to blues) and it looked fine.

If I had a "conventional 8x T5 fixture", I would probably run:

Pac Sun Crystal Blue
Pac Sun Pigment Int.
Pac Sun Crystal Blue
Pac Sun Ultrawide UV
Actinic
Pac Sun Crystal Blue
Pac Sun Pigment Int.
Pac Sun Crystal Blue

paal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2017, 07:20 AM   #6508
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
Question. I just installed a Aruba Sun 60" retro over my 72"x24"x24" to supplement my Kessil AP700s. How much PAR do you think two ATI Blue Plus are adding to my system?

Bump for responses please

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 01:48 AM   #6509
tony73
Registered Member

Tomorrow I Will mount T5 8x39w
4 actinic blue giesemann
3 aquaazur giesemann
1 super purple

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk

Unread 03/23/2017, 07:24 AM   #6510
alienz
Registered Member

I was thinking of making a retrofit of two T-5's to go along with my LED but I'm having some trouble tracking down 20" bulbs. There are a couple of older fixtures that have 20" bulbs (aqualights), so I figure 20" replacements must be around someplace.

24" is just a little too much for my 34 gallon cube (20x20x20)

Am I just out of luck or is my googling weak?

alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 08:49 AM   #6511
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienz View Post
I was thinking of making a retrofit of two T-5's to go along with my LED but I'm having some trouble tracking down 20" bulbs. There are a couple of older fixtures that have 20" bulbs (aqualights), so I figure 20" replacements must be around someplace.

24" is just a little too much for my 34 gallon cube (20x20x20)

Am I just out of luck or is my googling weak?
I think only two or three manufactures ever made bulbs shorter than 24". The only decent manufacture was UVL and they're long gone. Current USA and Coralife might still make 18" bulbs. They are okay bulbs.

Unread 03/26/2017, 04:52 AM   #6512
janci
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paal View Post
I am running Pac Sun's hybrid fixture: 8X39W T5 / 2x 145W LED.

Pac Sun Crystal Blue
Pac Sun Pigment +
Giesemann Pure Actinic
Pac Sun Crystal Blue

LED LED (All channels set to roughly the same values; 33% [red/amber a bit lower])

Pac Sun Crystal Blue
Giesemann Pure Actinic
Pac Sun Pigment Int.
Pac Sun Crystal Blue

I am very happy with how the Pac Sun bulbs look.
Not much to compare them to unfortunately as this is my first T5 setup and I have only replaced bulbs a few times.

My previous setup was 50-50 Giesemann Actinic Blue / Pac Sun Spectra +

I have to say I did not see any difference when changing from G.Act.Blue to the blue PS.C Blue bulbs, and I believe I have read that the G.Act.Blue is slightly darker blue than the ATI Blue+. If so, that should apply to the PS.C Blue as well IMO. (Never tried B+ myself)

I was also a but surprised (in a good way) when I tried the Pac Sun Pigment Int the first time. I thought this would create a much more purple hue than it actually did.
It is hard to compare online pictures to what you see on your own system, but from what I can tell from online pictures, the Pac Sun Pigment Int seems a bit less purple than the ATI purple+ (???)

I have also a set of Pac Sun Ultrawide UV bulbs.
I tried to run them in this setup:

Pac Sun Crystal Blue
Pac Sun Pigment +
Pac Sun Ultrawide UV
Pac Sun Crystal Blue

LED LED

Pac Sun Crystal Blue
Pac Sun Ultrawide UV
Pac Sun Pigment Int.
Pac Sun Crystal Blue

It was OK, but a bit too turquoise for me. I adjusted the LEDs accordingly (no green, no teal and set red channels similar to blues) and it looked fine.

If I had a "conventional 8x T5 fixture", I would probably run:

Pac Sun Crystal Blue
Pac Sun Pigment Int.
Pac Sun Crystal Blue
Pac Sun Ultrawide UV
Actinic
Pac Sun Crystal Blue
Pac Sun Pigment Int.
Pac Sun Crystal Blue
Thank you so much for your information.
I have the conventional 8x54W fixture (dimmable) and will use the PacSun bulbs in the next exchange.
Have ordered Crystal Blue, Pigment INT, Wide UV and Spectral bulb to tryout the different light settings.

Will probably go for this setup
Pac Sun Crystal Blue
Pac Sun Pigment Int.
Pac Sun Crystal Blue
Pac Sun Ultrawide UV
Pac Sun Crystal Blue
Pac Sun Crystal Blue
Pac Sun Spectral +
Pac Sun Crystal Blue

Unread 03/27/2017, 02:08 AM   #6513
paal
Registered Member

^
Looks like a setup I would like myself, janci.
I suggest buying some extra bulbs right away though just to play around with. If not you will probably end up thinking "what if"...
I would get at least one extra pigment int and one extra spectra; you can use them for future replacements anyways, so... not like it's a waste

Hope you will post again when you try them out.

paal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2017, 12:13 AM   #6514
janci
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paal View Post
^
Looks like a setup I would like myself, janci.
I suggest buying some extra bulbs right away though just to play around with. If not you will probably end up thinking "what if"...
I would get at least one extra pigment int and one extra spectra; you can use them for future replacements anyways, so... not like it's a waste

Hope you will post again when you try them out.
I will, but it will take some time as the tank is just ordered and will be delivered end of April.
I will post for sure as soon as it is set up.
Bulbs and extras have been ordered by now.

Unread 04/07/2017, 01:34 AM   #6515
Akeeb
Registered Member

Hey grim ! I have recently set up a reef tank and gone in for a t5 set up . my tank size is 5 2 2 . currently I'm running4 red sea t5 . 1 actinic blue in the front followed by white , pink , white again . i don't have any corals as of now. just some button polyp which came in the live rock. they are 80 watts each. is this order okay? I've wired them on a diy wooden hood and powered them with a osram ballast kit. I have all 4 on each timer . I run the whites for 8 hours and the blue and pink together for 10 hours . is this fine? any advice would be aweomse. thanks !

Akeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2017, 02:37 AM   #6516
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeeb View Post
Hey grim ! I have recently set up a reef tank and gone in for a t5 set up . my tank size is 5 2 2 . currently I'm running4 red sea t5 . 1 actinic blue in the front followed by white , pink , white again . i don't have any corals as of now. just some button polyp which came in the live rock. they are 80 watts each. is this order okay? I've wired them on a diy wooden hood and powered them with a osram ballast kit. I have all 4 on each timer . I run the whites for 8 hours and the blue and pink together for 10 hours . is this fine? any advice would be aweomse. thanks !
Grim left this thread ages ago.

Personally, I would not use a pink tube in a four-tube set up. It will be overwhelming.

actinic/blue+ coral+ blue+ coral+

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2017, 09:00 PM   #6517
Chris Abbott
Registered Member

Input on lighting schedule needed. I currently have 6x54 plus one reefbrite tech led strip running aprox 8 inches over my standard dim 90. The led stays on for 12 hours simply for the extra ciewing pleasure it provides. The t5 runs for a total of 8 hours but only two of those running all six bulbs. I guess my question relates to how long does everyone keep their t5s running? It is so brite with them all on and i dont want to cook things like i did when i started off with leds

Unread 04/09/2017, 09:29 PM   #6518
Bpb
Registered Member

The T5 Q&a Thread - split

For my 90 gallon standard dimension I run an 8x54 watt sunpower. My photoperiod is as follows

10:00-13:00 - 2 bulbs
13:00-15:00 - 8 bulbs
15:00-17:00 - 6 bulbs
17:00-19:00 - 8 bulbs
19:00-22:00 - 2 bulbs

Fixture is 12" over the water. I wish I had a par meter. Hate guessing if I have appropriate light levels.

Unread 04/09/2017, 10:25 PM   #6519
Chris Abbott
Registered Member

Why the dip in the center time slot? With my 6 bulbs 8inches off the water Im at 400 par another 8 inches into the water in the center of the fixture. 75-100 on the sand bed

Unread 04/10/2017, 05:56 AM   #6520
Bpb
Registered Member

Just trying to avoid over doing it I guess

Unread 04/10/2017, 06:12 AM   #6521
Bpb
Registered Member

Interesting. Those numbers are about perfect fornwhat I would want honestly. I wonder what the two extra bulbs and extra height are adding or taking away. What bulb combo do you use (not that it matters much most the ati bulbs are in the same ballpark)

Unread 04/21/2017, 07:06 PM   #6522
reefslugs
Registered Member

T5

I have been playing around with bulb combo's. On a six bulb fixture has anyone tried ATI two B+ two P+ and two coral+ ?

B+
P+
coral+
coral+
P+
B+

Man I can say the coral colors really pop, but I don't know if it's good for them. By using this combo I get away from the windex look.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 200g mixed reef, 65g sump/fugium, 4 Viporspectra LED's, Tunze 2105 x 2 with controller, Simplicity return pump & skimmer, Octopus calcium reactor, lots of love.
reefslugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 08:56 AM   #6523
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefslugs View Post
I have been playing around with bulb combo's. On a six bulb fixture has anyone tried ATI two B+ two P+ and two coral+ ?

B+
P+
coral+
coral+
P+
B+

Man I can say the coral colors really pop, but I don't know if it's good for them. By using this combo I get away from the windex look.
That's a lot of red in that mix. Probably not an ideal combo but run it and see how the corals respond

Unread 04/22/2017, 04:05 PM   #6524
Paulvd
Registered Member

Smile Advise bulb combo

Hello,.

Tomorrow i wil receive my ati sunpower 6x39W.
What would be the best bulb combo for my 66 gallon (35"/90cm) tank? I have LPS corals and specialy zoanthus. There will be no SPS in the future. (Blue color no problem)

Any advise will be great!

Paulvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 08:02 PM   #6525
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvd View Post
Hello,.

Tomorrow i wil receive my ati sunpower 6x39W.
What would be the best bulb combo for my 66 gallon (35"/90cm) tank? I have LPS corals and specialy zoanthus. There will be no SPS in the future. (Blue color no problem)

Any advise will be great!
That's going to be a ton of light for an LPS and Zoa tank. Mount it high, like 12" at least. Make sure to acclimate slowly as well.

2 Blue Plus, 2 Actinic, 2 Coral Plus and grab a Purple Plus just in case. Might want to grab an extra blue plus too. Then you can easily play around and see what you like. Try each combo for a few days so your eyes adjust to everything.