Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/30/2017, 03:46 PM   #1376
reefer31
Registered Member

My tank is in my unfinished basement so I do not care about the extra spill over. But it does spill out quite a bit at 12". I originally had MH at around 14" previously to these AP700s. I also have seen many from the coral growout/wholesalers keep the lights (LED/MH/T5) around 12-24" above the tanks and it seems be fine for them so I figured I would try it too. I have also been increasing intensity as I raise the fixtures. I placed a JF beach bum at the sand floor and it bleached out when I have my lighting set at 30-35% or so sitting at 8". And I have plenty of nitrate/phosphate in my tank since I have changed over from OCD nutrient control a few months ago. I have noticed that once I raised the lighting and I am slowly increasing intensity the colors are starting to come out on the beach bum. These lights are incredibly strong and I think at 8" it was too intense for my acans/beach bum on the sand. I want a section of the tank that isn't as high in intensity/par which is another reason for raising the lights. Many reasons to raise the lights I guess haha.

reefer31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2017, 01:17 AM   #1377
ReefRealEstate
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
The Android app is so bad for this light, it still drives me crazy. I pulled the APK and decompiled it so I can try to figure out how to send commands to this light on my own. If I get some time, I can create a browser plugin or new app that works better. Such garbage lol.

Buy an older iPhone and use it as your controller for your light and that’s it. You can hook it up to your WiFi and Velcro mount the back of the phone to the wall and now you have a sweet controller. Just sayin’ That’s what I would do if I didn’t use iPhone. I haven’t had any issues with the Kessil ap700 since they ironed out all of the bugs in the app. I love these lights. Mine have been up and running now for about a year. Any questions just ask me, I went through hell and back with this light in the beginning so much so that I feel I could be on their IT payroll. Check out my YouTube channel “ReefRealEstate” for my tank build, kessil lights, and everything you could imagine about my 270 gallon mixed reef tank build, with Frag tank, QT. I pretty much tried to automate everything. Cheers!

Current Tank Info: New Build 270+- gallon
ReefRealEstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2017, 01:22 AM   #1378
ReefRealEstate
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimasv View Post
I have a plan to get 2 units for my 180g 6 ft tank, I am new to the hobby, but I see people I having lots of issues with this lights. Should I better consider another unit Radion or Hydra instead. I heard lots of also good things about kessil so not sure which one to pick.
Go for it man. These lights are great. I had the Hydra lights at first but took them back as I didn’t think they had enough power. I haven’t cranked mine up over 65% yet. Love them. You’re getting in now after all the issues have been ironed out. Mine are flawless now. Check out my YouTube channel and subscribe to ReefRealEstate I have two of them over my 270 gallon.

Current Tank Info: New Build 270+- gallon
ReefRealEstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2017, 06:04 PM   #1379
joshmun
Registered Member

Thoughts on settings for 50g shallow tank

Hi All,

I love the look of this light, but I've had a really hard time dialing it in. I'm running a softy/lps tank that is 18" deep (the IM Lagoon 50). I tried running around 35% all blue @8" above water to avoid too much spillover and it didn't seem like corals had enough light....then gradually raised a few % per week and still some corals are not reacting well. I know each tank is different but is anyone running a similar tank setup? and if so what settings are you using with the AP700?

Seems like most everyone on this thread have very large tanks.

Thanks,
Josh

joshmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2017, 06:58 PM   #1380
Thor2j
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmun View Post
Hi All,

I love the look of this light, but I've had a really hard time dialing it in. I'm running a softy/lps tank that is 18" deep (the IM Lagoon 50). I tried running around 35% all blue @8" above water to avoid too much spillover and it didn't seem like corals had enough light....then gradually raised a few % per week and still some corals are not reacting well. I know each tank is different but is anyone running a similar tank setup? and if so what settings are you using with the AP700?

Thanks,
Josh
That should be plenty for softies. Give it some time for acclimation. Best bet is to get a PAR meter.

Thor2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2017, 11:08 PM   #1381
Bodai
Registered Member

New AP700 owner here

Hello all,

I recently purchased a pair of AP700's for my 135G 72x18x24. This tank is not setup yet as I am still designing the sump, but these lights are crazy. I was originally going to go freshwater or saltwater/FO, so I had 4 A160's, but the reef expert up the road from me talked me into getting these after the wife insisted I go full reef. Fortunately I was already using the expensive mounting arms + stand extensions with the 160's so it was easy to switch.

The build quality on these things is amazing. When I saw those power supplies I knew these were serious over the little wall-warts the A160's use.

Here is my experience so far:
- Had a little trouble connecting them to my WiFi using access point mode, but working with support got that working, I can explain if anyone wants to know. Other than that, the app is adequate. Disappointing that you can't use the USB port for anything but firmware, would have been nice if you could connect directly to it, control it, or even connect to ethernet or something.

- I was sitting at the table working on getting them connected, with one of them face-down on the table. Did not realize it had turned ON until I saw smoke, and sure enough it burned two big spots in my table!! These lights are crazy powerful.... you can probably ignite a napkin if it were 1" away...

- I am planning on loading up the app in an android emulator for Windows so that I can use it on the larger screen of my computer. I have a nice android phone that works fine, but I like things larger, especially now that I am partially blinded by this light....hehe.

- The light-wash into the room is pretty heavy at the 7-9" height, my neighbors are going to think I am growing weed...(which will be even worse when I add H380's to the sump). I was already planning on having a canopy "skirt" made out of ABS both to curtail the light wash and also direct the light back into the tank, reduce evaporation, etc.

- You guys are all scaring me now with how much you are having to turn them down... I knew these were slightly overkill for my tank and would have to turn them down, but damn... At least they use less energy that way.

- It would be nice to be able to control them with an Apex or similar. I saw one poster looking to reverse-engineer the app. But I am wondering if you could use it with something like if-this-then-that...https://ifttt.com/

I will eventually read through this whole thread, and probably be hitting you guys up for advice on settings when I am ready.

-Bodai

Bodai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2017, 11:14 PM   #1382
Bodai
Registered Member

Hello all,

I recently purchased a pair of AP700's for my 135G 72x18x24. This tank is not setup yet as I am still designing the sump, but these lights are crazy. I was originally going to go freshwater or saltwater/FO, so I had 4 A160's, but the reef expert up the road from me talked me into getting these after the wife insisted I go full reef. Fortunately I was already using the expensive mounting arms + stand extensions with the 160's so it was easy to switch.

The build quality on these things is amazing. When I saw those power supplies I knew these were serious over the little wall-warts the A160's use.

Here is my experience so far:
- Had a little trouble connecting them to my WiFi using access point mode, but working with support got that working, I can explain if anyone wants to know. Other than that, the app is adequate. Disappointing that you can't use the USB port for anything but firmware, would have been nice if you could connect directly to it, control it, or even connect to ethernet or something.

- I was sitting at the table working on getting them connected, with one of them face-down on the table. Did not realize it had turned ON until I saw smoke, and sure enough it burned two big spots in my table!! These lights are crazy powerful.... you can probably ignite a napkin if it were 1" away...

- I am planning on loading up the app in an android emulator for Windows so that I can use it on the larger screen of my computer. I have a nice android phone that works fine, but I like things larger, especially now that I am partially blinded by this light....hehe.

- The light-wash into the room is pretty heavy at the 7-9" height, my neighbors are going to think I am growing weed...(which will be even worse when I add H380's to the sump). I was already planning on having a canopy "skirt" made out of ABS both to curtail the light wash and also direct the light back into the tank, reduce evaporation, etc.

- You guys are all scaring me now with how much you are having to turn them down... I knew these were slightly overkill for my tank and would have to turn them down, but damn... At least they use less energy that way.

- It would be nice to be able to control them with an Apex or similar. I saw one poster looking to reverse-engineer the app. But I am wondering if you could use it with something like if-this-then-that...https://ifttt.com/

I will eventually read through this whole thread, and probably be hitting you guys up for advice on settings when I am ready.

-Bodai

Unread 11/02/2017, 11:39 PM   #1383
Bodai
Registered Member

Sorry dudes, website timed out when I was posting and then it double-posted, is there a way for me to fix that?

Unread 11/12/2017, 10:20 AM   #1384
ElementalJ
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmun View Post
Hi All,

Thanks,

Josh

My system is 24X24X18 and I’m running an ap700 at sixteen inches above the surface at peak intensity of 31%. I also invested in the slight diffusion lenses and so far things have acclimated well. Set a schedule and an Intensity level and leave it for a good long while. They’ll adapt rather nicely if you leave them alone. Remember we’re working on consistency just as much as chemical stability of the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 56g Tall, 10g fuge, Dosing suppliments.
ElementalJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 12:03 PM   #1385
Lionfish1965
Registered Member

I want to get this Light for a 250 Gallon Reef Aquarium. Thank you all for your input.

Lionfish1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 02:06 PM   #1386
CTaylor
Registered Member

Hello
I have a AP700. It's about 6 weeks old. As of a few days ago it turns off and on on it's own. Even if I turn the unit off, it will come back on and the lights will light up. It doesnt seem like it's even reverting to whatever program I had it on before it was turned off. The indicator lights are randomly light when the light goes off (not turned off by me). I just made sure I had the latest firmware, by trying to install a new one. I'm updated. Still same issue. I'm reading through this thread, but will take time to see if this is a known issue.
Anyone experience this? I already emailed Kessil. I understand they go by email at first. At least I have a pair of A360 also that I'm using, so it's not an emergency. My tank has been set up for only a month+, very little in it. It's a 108 gallon 48"x24"x22" high, not that it matters for this post
Thanks!!

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 03:24 PM   #1387
ktownhero
Registered Member

Update the firmware, they fixed that in newer versions.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 03:27 PM   #1388
ktownhero
Registered Member

Also, that new BRS analysis of the AP700 demonstrates that as far as spectrum intensity it is one of if not the best you can get. The evenness of both spectrum and par is phenomenal. And the fact that 1 light covers a 4' mixed reef easily makes it one of the cheaper high end options. And honestly based on their testing you could easily do a most or all SPS tank with 1 over 4' as long as you push lower light colonies to the edges.

Unread 11/12/2017, 03:32 PM   #1389
CTaylor
Registered Member

I keep editing.. sorry...
I did the firmware update (said that already ) Problem not solved.
I had the A360's (2) from my previous tank. I was goign to get a third, but drsfosster had this on sale for 25% off (probablya mistake as it's MAP), so I got it. I'm happy with it for sure.. just need this solved. I'm sure it will be with kessil..
The combo I have, with the A360's at an angle helps a lot with shadowing I think. And in the end I can keep whatever I want almost anywhere, with added shading for lower light ones like the few LPS I'll have.

Last edited by CTaylor; 11/12/2017 at 03:40 PM.
Unread 11/12/2017, 07:00 PM   #1390
ktownhero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
I keep editing.. sorry...
I did the firmware update (said that already ) Problem not solved.
I had the A360's (2) from my previous tank. I was goign to get a third, but drsfosster had this on sale for 25% off (probablya mistake as it's MAP), so I got it. I'm happy with it for sure.. just need this solved. I'm sure it will be with kessil..
The combo I have, with the A360's at an angle helps a lot with shadowing I think. And in the end I can keep whatever I want almost anywhere, with added shading for lower light ones like the few LPS I'll have.
Yeah last year I got an entire setup for 25% off at DFS and that included an entire Red Sea Reefer package! Also the AP700!

Unread 11/12/2017, 08:03 PM   #1391
CTaylor
Registered Member

it's funny.. b/c on Drs it has the note on kessil that it is not qual for sales... but you saw like I did, might as well try :-D

Unread 11/12/2017, 08:57 PM   #1392
Lindsay1126
Registered Member

Question About to buy AP700

Hey everyone,
Sorry to intrude on an owners thread. I do have a quick question. I am setting up my first 120 gallon reef (48x24x24). I have fallen in love with the shimmer from kessil. Would one be ok to start with for softies and LPS? I eventually (once I get the tank stable, and experience), want to add SPS, anemones and a clam. I was thinking when that time comes (probably about 12 months), I could add T5 lighting or just another 700 (or would that be too much?). Does this sound like it would work? Is there anything I should be aware of? Thanks.

Lindsay1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 09:55 PM   #1393
ktownhero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1126 View Post
Hey everyone,
Sorry to intrude on an owners thread. I do have a quick question. I am setting up my first 120 gallon reef (48x24x24). I have fallen in love with the shimmer from kessil. Would one be ok to start with for softies and LPS? I eventually (once I get the tank stable, and experience), want to add SPS, anemones and a clam. I was thinking when that time comes (probably about 12 months), I could add T5 lighting or just another 700 (or would that be too much?). Does this sound like it would work? Is there anything I should be aware of? Thanks.
Will totally work. I have a tank exactly like you described . I added T5s but then cut them back to a mere 2 hours per day... They aren't needed.

Unread 11/12/2017, 09:59 PM   #1394
Lindsay1126
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
Will totally work. I have a tank exactly like you described . I added T5s but then cut them back to a mere 2 hours per day... They aren't needed.

Thank you, what kinds of corals could you keep with just the 700?

Lindsay1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 08:06 AM   #1395
ktownhero
Registered Member

Quote:
I have birdnest, pocillopora, acoropora, montipora (setosa, cap and some others), torch, hammers, frogspawns, brain, galaxea, zoanthids, gsp, gorgonians, duncans... A bit of everything! Everything is steadily growing and has been for over a year.

I started with just the AP700 with a 70% peak, then added a canopy with 2x T5s which I had running for ~6 hours a day -- but it seemed like the corals were unhappy, it was too much light. Now I have the T5s down to just 2 hours and everything is super happy. I'm probalby going to just stop using the T5s once these bulbs are done. 2 hours really doesn't do much, if anything. Since I went back to the AP700 only, all of my corals perked and colored up a bit more.

Unread 11/13/2017, 04:26 PM   #1396
drtrash
Registered Member

I have the 2-t5’s as well but only fun ap700 at 45%. T5 on for 4 hrs. Trying to color up some nems so will see what f t5 adds anything to mix

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 06:51 PM   #1397
vhuang168
Registered Member

Quote:
You can keep whatever you want with just the AP700.

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 04:42 PM   #1398
reefer31
Registered Member

Update on my ap700 and maybe something that may help others. I was so cautious about keeping the lights set low and increase intensity super slowly that I was actually harming my corals. I raised the lighting and have increased the intensity about 1%each day from 35% and I’m sitting at 55% now. I have noticed that my beach bum had paled and browned out when I was really paranoid about intensity. Now since changing intensity the corals are starting to really take off and coloration has really increased. Yellows and oranges are coming out on the beach bum finally. I will add that too fast of increase will burn corals and you need to watch your corals. The learning curve is crazy with led that I think that is why people change back to t5 or mh. I do not have experience with radions but the ap700 will grow corals you just have to learn to not change things constantly and go slower than you would think.

reefer31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 08:43 PM   #1399
ktownhero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer31 View Post
Update on my ap700 and maybe something that may help others. I was so cautious about keeping the lights set low and increase intensity super slowly that I was actually harming my corals. I raised the lighting and have increased the intensity about 1%each day from 35% and I’m sitting at 55% now. I have noticed that my beach bum had paled and browned out when I was really paranoid about intensity. Now since changing intensity the corals are starting to really take off and coloration has really increased. Yellows and oranges are coming out on the beach bum finally. I will add that too fast of increase will burn corals and you need to watch your corals. The learning curve is crazy with led that I think that is why people change back to t5 or mh. I do not have experience with radions but the ap700 will grow corals you just have to learn to not change things constantly and go slower than you would think.

I find that if you just think of your AP700 as-if it were MH and behave accordingly everything works out great. I keep mine at 70% for 8 hours a day with 4 hours of added T5. I stopped acclimating corals to the light and just stick them where I want them. Works out great.

Unread 11/20/2017, 05:32 PM   #1400
vhuang168
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer31 View Post
you just have to learn to not change things constantly and go slower than you would think.

This is true for most things reef.

Especially for lighting, trying out a light for 3 months is not going to tell you if the light is good or not. Your corals are going to stress out because it is a different type of light and will most likely look like crap for a while. Give them time to adapt and most will.

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is offline   Reply With Quote