Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/22/2018, 07:12 PM   #1
leicobra
Registered Member

Sps Tank upgrade help and advise need from experience reefers!

Hi all, I am lucky enough to upgrade from a nano to a 70gallon cad light aquarium recently. I currently have a Nuvo 38 and I have no experience in tank swaps or transfer. The tank has many sps conlonies and some lps. The new tank is arriving in a week. What would be safest way to transfer everything into the new tank with little to no lost? Much appreciate it.

leicobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 09:22 PM   #2
kevin_e
Registered Member

From somonecwho has moved several tanks. Take as much water from the established tank as possible. I would suggest new sand, with some seed sand from existing tank, and all the rock from the existing tank.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

kevin_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 09:46 PM   #3
leicobra
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_e View Post
From somonecwho has moved several tanks. Take as much water from the established tank as possible. I would suggest new sand, with some seed sand from existing tank, and all the rock from the existing tank.

Thanks for the reply. I do have 2/20gallon trash cans that can hold all the water from the Nuvo. Should I let the new tank run for a while before put coral in or just a straight transfer?

Unread 04/23/2018, 05:53 AM   #4
kevin_e
Registered Member

I've done both. Ideally you let it run through the complete cycle. I wasn't able to 4 out of 6 swaps/moves, as I was moving residences and had no where to put coral and fish.

Maybe I misunderstood. Are you able to keep your Nuvo up for a few months, or is the new tank going in the same spot? I would just completely recyle the new tank. Use seed sand and maybe a rock or two from the nuvo to help. Keep the nuvo up for now.

Unread 04/25/2018, 12:28 AM   #5
leicobra
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_e View Post
I've done both. Ideally you let it run through the complete cycle. I wasn't able to 4 out of 6 swaps/moves, as I was moving residences and had no where to put coral and fish.

Maybe I misunderstood. Are you able to keep your Nuvo up for a few months, or is the new tank going in the same spot? I would just completely recyle the new tank. Use seed sand and maybe a rock or two from the nuvo to help. Keep the nuvo up for now.

Kevin, the new tank is going in the exact spot as my old one. All I need to do is to move the Nuvo to the side and make space for the new tank. I like the idea you mentioned runing both tank for a while. Planing to add dry sand into the new tank with live rock and water from my old tank. Just making sure water chemistry are as stable as possible. Honestly, sps are growing wild in the Nuvo that's why I needed a upgrade. Hopefully everything will be ok.
Question on adding dry sand, should I put it in the new tank before the live rock and water or rock, water and then add the sand slowly after?

Unread 04/25/2018, 08:49 AM   #6
rhymechizel
Registered Member

If you are using the rock and water from your old tank you’d be fine just to set up the new tank and add everything in. New sand is a good idea IMO but not mandatory. It will be like a big water change. Only need to cycle if you are adding new rock with die off. If you want more rock I would add dry rock so you don’t have to go through a cycle.

rhymechizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2018, 08:53 AM   #7
kevin_e
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicobra View Post
Kevin, the new tank is going in the exact spot as my old one. All I need to do is to move the Nuvo to the side and make space for the new tank. I like the idea you mentioned runing both tank for a while. Planing to add dry sand into the new tank with live rock and water from my old tank. Just making sure water chemistry are as stable as possible. Honestly, sps are growing wild in the Nuvo that's why I needed a upgrade. Hopefully everything will be ok.
Question on adding dry sand, should I put it in the new tank before the live rock and water or rock, water and then add the sand slowly after?
Gotcha. Well I think breaking down the old one and doing a quick swap over will be okay. I would add sand and water. Then add live rock and additional dry rock after it clears up a bit and settles in. Try and minimize die off on the live rock.

Unread 04/27/2018, 05:13 PM   #8
scottbeyer101
Registered Member

Any and everything you can bring over from the old tank will help seed the bacteria in the new. Sand, rock, old filter media, equipment, anything that has that slightly slimy coat of bacteria on it. Stir up old tank and do water changes to the new.

In my experience, you're still likely to cycle a bit (diatoms and other nuisance ugly) but you should be fine if you can move enough stuff. Lighten up on feeding alot and then gradually increase. And enjoy the new tank!

For safety, grab an ammonia meter for $5 just to be sure the bacteria is enough

Unread 05/06/2018, 10:03 AM   #9
Softhammer
Registered Member

I have moved several setups cross country and upgrades. Don’t worry about a cycle if you are reusing things but I highly highly recommend having way more ready to go saltwater than you think you’ll need and rinse as much dirt out of your existing sand as possible! As you scoop up the old sand the water will look like chocolate milk if it’s of any age and release all kinds of nutrients that were safely contained before hand. These things could cause a major bloom which can easily be avoided if rinsed. Not to mention hydrogen sulfide gas that can be trapped. You’ll know if you see black sand patches. No major cause for concern, but rinse it! I moved a 15 year old 90g into a 180 and the slop was appalling. However zero losses of livestock.

Unread 10/23/2018, 02:30 AM   #10
leicobra
Registered Member

Here is a update 5 month after the move. Was a lot of work and so far the tank has finally stabilized.
Ph always around 8-8.1
Calcium at 420
Alk level at 8.3 - 8.6 DKH

Recently I went on a trip to Asian. Parameters had a big swing and Killed a lot of my sps. With some patience, things are starting to turnaround.
I will be making some changes on the lighting this week. The 24” 6 bulb ATI fixture I currently have on the tank will be replaced by 2 radions.
IMG_1786.jpgIMG_1787.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by leicobra; 10/23/2018 at 02:41 AM.