Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/22/2018, 02:33 PM   #1
ffoott
Registered Member

Mantis Shrimp in a SPS tank = disaster?

Hey guys,

I've got a 11g mixed reef / SPS tank. It's stable and growing. Recently made it bare bottom in order to lower the needed maintenance.

I've been working on getting a mantis for this particular tank for a while, before having started on the SPS world.

If I were to get a small mantis for this tank, I'm particularly concerned about the impact it would have on time needed on maintenance.

I assume my trochus snails would suffer. That could make algae, that does not give any problems at the moment, to start acting up.

Also, most of my SPS are frags and have not yet incrusted into the rock. They are basically super glued. I fear they might get bulldozed.

Finally, is it being bare bottom a problem?

Your input would be tremendously helpful!

Enviado do meu SM-N950F através do Tapatalk

ffoott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2018, 02:55 PM   #2
Koshmars
Registered Member

Lack of a sandbed will be a problem unless it uses a burrow out of pure rock.

Koshmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2018, 02:57 PM   #3
Koshmars
Registered Member

You can also slightly negate the predation on your snails by target feeding 2-3 times a week. Your SPSs will be moved if not attached.

Koshmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2018, 10:44 PM   #4
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

No sandbed is a pretty bad idea.

Especially if it isn't lined with acrylic, he's pretty much going to try and punch down a tunnel beneath the rock.

As for coral destruction, it can happen, depends on where the little guy settles. He's not out to get the coral its just in his way.

Unread 10/24/2018, 07:59 PM   #5
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

Some species chip out holes in rock and coral, others find existing crevices and use rubble/shells to shape it how they want. With no sand bed and no rubble I think its going to be a problem for you unless you build a PVC tube for it. You can make a U shaped burrow and glue rocks and sand to it so it looks a little nicer then wedge it down into your rock work some how.

Also some species appear to be more light tolerant than others. You would want a shallow water high light species. I had a G. Ternatensis in my mixed reef and it worked out really well. Others like peacocks are suspected of getting shell rot from it but I'm not sure if that's ever been confirmed or not.

You will need to PLAN on replacing your CUC every month or two. If you feed foods they prefer then it will definitely cut down on CUC losses but here will always be times when it feels it needs a midnight snack or something and go get whats available. I used live fidler crabs to feed mine and he loved them. I tried to feed him one a week to every other week and I used frozen silversides and clams on a skewer for his normal feedings.

All your frags are basically going to be fair game for 'home redecoration' and without a ton of rubble and shells to choose from you can bet the will get used.

Plexi on the bottom of the tank is also something you should do.

mndfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote