Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/10/2006, 09:42 AM   #1
alebrun
Registered Member

chili coral

Anyone have any info on chili coral? photosynthetic or nonphoto,feeding,or survival in the reef tank/

alebrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2006, 06:48 AM   #2
apjunky
Registered Member

If its the same "Chili Coral" I have it is not photosynthetic . Mine only opens at night and at the first hint of daylight closes up and shrinks to about 1/3 the size . I have had it for about a year and half and it has more than doubled in size and seems to be pretty hardy .

apjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2006, 10:37 AM   #3
Herpervet
Registered Member

I have had a cluster of 4 of them in a shady part of my tank for almost a year now.

They love to be target fed with a very small food. I use a product called Otohime A from Reed mariculture. It is a japanese larval diet used in mariculture. It is about 250microns in size about the size of a rotifer.

I put about a teaspoon of it in a 2 oz plastic dropper bottle fitted with a long section of rigid airline tubing and target feed them whenever I see them open.

Mine are kind of irregular at times and are somewhat unpredictable in when they will be open but my light regimen is also out of whack (I manually turn the lights off and on)

Anyway the Otohime A is eagerly consumed and I can see the body cavity of each polyp with a nice heap of the stuff inside after feeding.

I feed cyclopeeze also but it doesn't appear that the polyps are as efficient at catching the copepods. For whatever reason they don't grab them like they do the Otohime A.

Herpervet is offline   Reply With Quote