Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/03/2010, 06:35 AM   #1
alan_bessa
Registered Member

I need help with SPS diseases!!

Hello,

I´m getting some problems with my SPS and I can´t identify what diseases is that and what is the right treatment to that.

Below I put some pictures to show the problems

Any help should be great!

Thanks

alan_bessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2010, 07:29 AM   #2
plyle02
Registered Member

AEFW bite marks IMO...

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2010, 08:02 AM   #3
borcu
bordox

Aefw.

borcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2010, 10:31 AM   #4
CleveYank
20 Years and Over

If you have some betadyne handy (usually easier to get than revive unless your SPS vendor is right around the block)?

Take 6ml of betadyne and 1000ml of tank water in a clear container.
(I use a clear container so I can light up the container with a powerful flashlight and inspect the betadyne for the AEFW with magnifying glass.)
Take out the coral and use a baster to puff water medium power all over the coral. You will see flat scrolling worms come off. .1 to .9 cm in length. The betadyne is absorbed by them and they become the orange of the betadyne.
This very quickly yet complete and in 45 seconds. Do not soak the coral in the betadyne it will brown out and or kill the coral.
Rinse with system water, inspect with magnifying glass for little tiny olive green to brownish eggs. Scrape them off of the dead tissue with an exacto blade (usually right at the receding edges or bottoms of the coral) rinse and place back in the system. Done in this qucik dip fashion I was able to dip even my most delicate SPS every week.

The 6 line wrasse stuff and basting the system manually all the time is all just a maintenance step.
And you will still have them in the system and removal of all acros from the system into another quarantine and letting them expire clear in 6 to 8 weeks in the main display is the ONLY complete way to know you got rid of them.

Also, melev's website has some information on some fluke medication that he used by Jungle brand.
(Note he used FLUKE Medication and NOT flatworm medication to rid the AEFW....But that's another story.)
Google his website for that recipe. Like revive not as handy unless fish store is right down the block that stocks it. Since you will most likely have to dip them a 2 or more times that would be a good next step over the betadyne unless you can get the "special" fluke medicine ASAP. The betadyne is available at almost any CVS or Walmart.

Good luck.

Last edited by CleveYank; 03/03/2010 at 10:37 AM.
CleveYank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2010, 02:54 PM   #5
jcal
Registered Member

The first picture doesn't look like it has oval bitmarks...the rest, kind of hard to tell, but it may be AEFW...

jcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2010, 08:15 PM   #6
luther1200
Premium Member

It might be AEFW but it kind of looks different IME. Usually they are like a spotted line going right across the coral. This looks like clusters of something. But it could be. I used CoralRx to kill AEFW and it worked great. I would either dip 1 of them in CoralRx or Revive and see if any fall off.

Current Tank Info: 65g reef, mix of sps, lps, few softies. Hoping to upgrade within the year.
luther1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2010, 11:33 PM   #7
RRaider
Registered Member

That's exactly what my corals looked like when I had AEFW.

RRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2010, 06:37 AM   #8
alan_bessa
Registered Member

First of all, thank you for the answers!!!

Well, I was thinking that could be really AEFW, (my first option), but I can´t see any bugs and eggs on the corals.

I agree with luther1200 when he said that is little different:

"It might be AEFW but it kind of looks different IME. Usually they are like a spotted line going right across the coral. This looks like clusters of something. But it could be. "

(My second option)I was thinking if could be some related disease bacterial infeccion, because the "clusters of something" it´s like a little sponge that don´t move by itself. Last weekend I tried the revive to see if any fall off, but I can´t see any thing. I stopped with Vodka just to make sure that carbon source isn´t the problem.

I have many SPS on this aquarium, but I getting problems just with the Nasuta, Baby Blue and Valida. Any Millepora that I have show up the problem and looks fine.

(My third option) Could be related with Bailling Method. Because a started it two weeks ago and my Alkalinity was at 6 and now was at 11 and PH was 8.2 and now 8.5. Today I stopped and I´m just applying Kallwasser.

Thanks

Unread 03/04/2010, 10:25 AM   #9
happysak
Registered Member

Do you vodka dozing? I had same sponge looking blisters on my acro,
when I was dozing with Vodka. They went away after I stoped.

happysak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2010, 10:41 AM   #10
cwegescheide
YOU have been ignored!

+1 on AEFW..

cwegescheide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2010, 11:00 AM   #11
RRaider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_bessa View Post
First of all, thank you for the answers!!!

Well, I was thinking that could be really AEFW, (my first option), but I can´t see any bugs and eggs on the corals.

I agree with luther1200 when he said that is little different:

"It might be AEFW but it kind of looks different IME. Usually they are like a spotted line going right across the coral. This looks like clusters of something. But it could be. "

(My second option)I was thinking if could be some related disease bacterial infeccion, because the "clusters of something" it´s like a little sponge that don´t move by itself. Last weekend I tried the revive to see if any fall off, but I can´t see any thing. I stopped with Vodka just to make sure that carbon source isn´t the problem.

I have many SPS on this aquarium, but I getting problems just with the Nasuta, Baby Blue and Valida. Any Millepora that I have show up the problem and looks fine.

(My third option) Could be related with Bailling Method. Because a started it two weeks ago and my Alkalinity was at 6 and now was at 11 and PH was 8.2 and now 8.5. Today I stopped and I´m just applying Kallwasser.

Thanks

You need to do more research on aefw. Most never see them until they pull the coral out of the tank, dip it in something like revive and then blow them off with a turkey baster. Valida is one of the acros that aefw seems to prefer.

RRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2010, 11:13 AM   #12
Registered Member

I think I can see 4 or 5 flatworms in pics 3 and 4. Their munching away around the area where the branches meet.

121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2010, 04:30 PM   #13
sanababit
Registered Member

i really can't tell if its aefw or not, lets not jump the gun here guys, i have seen this before and it could be waste from the coral itself, or a nipper (bicolor blenny, flame angel), i been there, to make sure its not aefw do as others suggest, get the coral out and dip, good luck

sana

Current Tank Info: 90RR inwall, Octopuss Skimmer, 2 MP40 wQD, 1 MP10 WQD, 2 Radions G4 Pro, Apex Doser, Apex Controller, 400w heater, 30 Gal Sump, Biopellets, Carbon, Gfo, Macroalgae
sanababit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2010, 06:14 PM   #14
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Doesn't quite look like AEFW to me either... snap off a branch and dip, as recommended, to find out. I personally would just dip a branch in FW to find out for sure. Looks like you have plenty of coral to spare. IME AEFW will fall off within seconds of hitting FW.

I once had weird "stuff" on my coral like you are seeing, see pics below... there was a thread about it in this forum too.

Weird stuff:

AEFW:

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2010, 07:39 PM   #15
luther1200
Premium Member

I agree with SDguy, they really don't look like AEFW to me. You can see in his picture the clear bite marks.

Here is some pictures of the eggs.

Here is that whole branch.

Here is were the STN started at the base

Here is another picture of the eggs. Its not a good close up, but you can easily see them all around the base of the frag.

Current Tank Info: 65g reef, mix of sps, lps, few softies. Hoping to upgrade within the year.
Unread 03/06/2010, 01:10 PM   #16
alan_bessa
Registered Member

Hi,

I did the revive medication today but I can't see any bugs (just some planarias that I have on substrate) and I didn't see any eggs too. Below I put some new pictures during the medication and after medication. I clean the "sponge" that I saw on the coral and then I could see a hole!!!

Thanks!!!

With Revive

Unread 03/06/2010, 01:10 PM   #17
alan_bessa
Registered Member

After Revive

Unread 03/06/2010, 01:26 PM   #18
luther1200
Premium Member

I have never seen a hole like that. Does anybody know what causes that?

Tags
disease, sps