Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/18/2018, 08:37 PM   #1
nycman
Registered Member

AquaUV sterilizer

I have been running an AquaUV 57W sterilizer on my 220 gallon system for a year. I asked advice on sizing and it seems the responders were thinking fish only, not reef, tank. Tank looks great, beat a cyano outbreak 6 months ago. Am putting very low flow through it and after reading a number of threads am thinking I am way over doing it - 250 GPH through 57 watts. I have it on an external network with its own dedicated external 800GPH pump. Can I buy a 25W bulb and ballast, replacing the same for the 57W and leave the housing and plumbing as is, but bump the flow to 800GPH? This way am not killing plankton. Does this seem like a good move? I can always put the 57W ballast and bulb back in action temporarily if the tank has an algae problem.

Aqua UV 28W
nycman is offline   Reply With Quote