Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/16/2010, 07:27 AM   #2601
SamandRichies55
Registered Member

Hello everyone, reppin' Tampa, FL here.

Searched RC for help with new 55gal and info helped our panic attacks on the little stuff that I had no idea was common. Doing lots of searches on what we've got going on in the 55.

We're looking forward to watching our little ecosystem grow into a beautiful tank.

SamandRichies55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2010, 10:14 AM   #2602
AnayaReef
Registered Member

Hello all

I live in the Chicago suburbs. I posted all of my soon-to-be tank info last night in a separate post. I am finally working on getting a mixed reef tank built this year. This forum is a great source of info. Looking forward to hanging out on here as my tank project moves forward. Any and all advice in my other post would be well accepted. Thanks!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1849405

Current Tank Info: 37g setup to seed live rock & sand; Will be setting up a 150gal tall mixed reef w/ 55gal fuge/sump combo
AnayaReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2010, 10:21 AM   #2603
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandRichies55 View Post
Hello everyone, reppin' Tampa, FL here.

Searched RC for help with new 55gal and info helped our panic attacks on the little stuff that I had no idea was common. Doing lots of searches on what we've got going on in the 55.

We're looking forward to watching our little ecosystem grow into a beautiful tank.
It is good to read that you are researching and learning as much as you can. You will definitely enjoy your 55.

To Reef Central

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2010, 10:29 AM   #2604
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnayaReef View Post
Hello all

I live in the Chicago suburbs. I posted all of my soon-to-be tank info last night in a separate post. I am finally working on getting a mixed reef tank built this year. This forum is a great source of info. Looking forward to hanging out on here as my tank project moves forward. Any and all advice in my other post would be well accepted. Thanks!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1849405

Rhonni, To Reef Central

You're in luck because I have a tank with an above refugium and a below sump, just like you are asking about. I will comment in your other post.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/16/2010, 01:25 PM   #2605
rdhall
Registered Member

Newcomer with questions

Hello all,

I've been a member for about a month and have been reading up when I can. A newcomer to reef keeping. My neighbor gave me one of his old BioCube nano's (14g).

My current status: Tank fully cycled. Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites at zero. Purchased 9 lbs of premium live rock from a display tank at local fish store. 6 lbs of base rock. and 1 lb. of live rock in the back of the nano as my bio filter. No fish or corals yet. Have a cleaner crew of 4 turbos and 8 red legged hermits. Also got two peppermint shrimp to take care of some aiptasia that hitchhiked with the live rock.

I've got copepods developing in my tank. But also have flatworms that are multiplying. Which brings me to my first question. Which fish is best as a natural predator for flatworms? I've read about wrasses and mandarin gobies. But not sure if either one is appropriate for my size tank or with my current setup. Aware of flatworm exit as a remedy. But I'm trying to do this tank, and pest management, as natural as possible, without chemical additives or treatments (not sure yet if its even possible).

Also, I would like to do some soft corals as well. Should I establish my corals in my tank prior to doing fish?

Appreciate any reply. Thanks for the forum.

rdhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2010, 01:32 PM   #2606
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhall View Post
Hello all,

I've been a member for about a month and have been reading up when I can. A newcomer to reef keeping. My neighbor gave me one of his old BioCube nano's (14g).

My current status: Tank fully cycled. Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites at zero. Purchased 9 lbs of premium live rock from a display tank at local fish store. 6 lbs of base rock. and 1 lb. of live rock in the back of the nano as my bio filter. No fish or corals yet. Have a cleaner crew of 4 turbos and 8 red legged hermits. Also got two peppermint shrimp to take care of some aiptasia that hitchhiked with the live rock.

I've got copepods developing in my tank. But also have flatworms that are multiplying. Which brings me to my first question. Which fish is best as a natural predator for flatworms? I've read about wrasses and mandarin gobies. But not sure if either one is appropriate for my size tank or with my current setup. Aware of flatworm exit as a remedy. But I'm trying to do this tank, and pest management, as natural as possible, without chemical additives or treatments (not sure yet if its even possible).

Also, I would like to do some soft corals as well. Should I establish my corals in my tank prior to doing fish?

Appreciate any reply. Thanks for the forum.

To Reef Central

you're question is a good one, a six line wrasse would be the best choice. But just like anything it all depends on the particular fish. I had a diamond goby that would keep the flat worms at bay. but also heard that they are hit and miss as well. Clear as mud?

I would recommend to establish the fish prior to adding corals, that way you can get a good routine and establish the tank before jumping in.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/16/2010, 07:56 PM   #2607
tivoklr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoklr View Post
Just reestablished a 75 gal acrylic that was shut down during a protracted divorce. It's built into the wall and really makes the house (it's a small house in the mountains, it's definitely off the beaten path up here).

This is the third time I've operated this tank.

I lost some of the xenia but that'll come back, and everything else seems to be happy. Might I add I moved all this livestock in a blizzard? Crazy!
Here's a linky to some of the xenia that made it. Things seem good. Test kit, ro/di, hob skimmer expected wednesday. Not sure when the lights get here, but I've got a nice 175w MH pendant that is enough for the time being.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2mXlTVJh9A

Flikr pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2591623...7623951480681/

Last edited by tivoklr; 05/16/2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: added pic
tivoklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2010, 08:31 PM   #2608
Brett J
Registered Member

New to the hobby

Hi I'm Brett and I'm a reef-aholic, along with my wife. We used to have a 55gal freshwater tank. Then changed it to saltwater. That lasted about 6 months, until the middle support in it broke, and the tank started to bow out. So we got out of the hobby for awhile.

We recently went to are local pet store and found a good deal on a 29 gal Eclipse saltwater started kit. So we bought it and set it up.

So now we are back into the hobby again. On a smaller scale then before. But I would rather do it right on a smaller scale then wrong on a bigger scale. This website is helping us get it right.

I would like to thank every on here on the info I got while I was lurking.

Brett J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2010, 09:40 PM   #2609
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett J View Post
Hi I'm Brett and I'm a reef-aholic, along with my wife. We used to have a 55gal freshwater tank. Then changed it to saltwater. That lasted about 6 months, until the middle support in it broke, and the tank started to bow out. So we got out of the hobby for awhile.

We recently went to are local pet store and found a good deal on a 29 gal Eclipse saltwater started kit. So we bought it and set it up.

So now we are back into the hobby again. On a smaller scale then before. But I would rather do it right on a smaller scale then wrong on a bigger scale. This website is helping us get it right.

I would like to thank every on here on the info I got while I was lurking.

To Reef Central

This is indeed a great site.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/17/2010, 04:46 PM   #2610
emantclphie
Registered Member

Wink Hello!

Hello RC!

I am fairly new to the hobby for about 3 months and can definitely use some edumacation. I really enjoy this hobby and have been adding more and more aquariums at my place. I have plenty more room to grow and could also use some extra tanks and equipment if anyone is trying to get rid of them.

I am currently housing a 55g, 20g, 5g rubbermaid for aquatic plants, and a antique oriental fishbowl. Looking to expand my hobby into the marine area with a 30gal setup for the cheapest diy price

Nice to meet everyone!

TC

emantclphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2010, 04:50 PM   #2611
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emantclphie View Post
Hello RC!

I am fairly new to the hobby for about 3 months and can definitely use some edumacation. I really enjoy this hobby and have been adding more and more aquariums at my place. I have plenty more room to grow and could also use some extra tanks and equipment if anyone is trying to get rid of them.

I am currently housing a 55g, 20g, 5g rubbermaid for aquatic plants, and a antique oriental fishbowl. Looking to expand my hobby into the marine area with a 30gal setup for the cheapest diy price

Nice to meet everyone!

TC
be sure to check out our diy forum

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2010, 04:51 PM   #2612
new2corals
Registered Member

Hello my name is Deidra. My husband and I just got started in reefs. We have an 8 gallon tank with a mushroom, some zooanthids, a pulsing xenia and a blue ricordia in it. Along with 2 clowns and a peppermint shrimp. Looking to get more corals in the future. We also have a 46 bow front set up, but its empty except for live sand and live rock But we want to set it up as a reef tank also. I joined here for info on corals and coral talk and such! Been a great experience thus far! Thanks to those that keep it going!

new2corals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2010, 04:54 PM   #2613
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2corals View Post
Hello my name is Deidra. My husband and I just got started in reefs. We have an 8 gallon tank with a mushroom, some zooanthids, a pulsing xenia and a blue ricordia in it. Along with 2 clowns and a peppermint shrimp. Looking to get more corals in the future. We also have a 46 bow front set up, but its empty except for live sand and live rock But we want to set it up as a reef tank also. I joined here for info on corals and coral talk and such! Been a great experience thus far! Thanks to those that keep it going!

would love to see a picture of your coral tank as I am sure others would too.

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2010, 07:01 PM   #2614
Clownfeesh
Registered Member

Hello all,
I am new to this hobby. I am 14 years old and have reasearched for the past 7 months about this hobby. After stetting up my 75 gal aquarium, I added my live rock, now my tank is fully cycled and everything is good. Well, now, there is all this dtuff just popping out. I know mostly everything that has popped out.. except this on thing... There is this red anemone looking thing that has popped out. It has bright green florescent tips. It has a very pronounced mouth. Any help would be much appreciated!

Clownfeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2010, 07:09 PM   #2615
BigJer77
Registered Member

Hey...

I am still a N00b to the world of Reef Tanks and Marine Fish. I decided to throw my hat into ring in Jan '10 and I am still fine tuning my tank (120g Perfecto). I live in Central New Jersey and most of my weekends consist of looking for new LFS with a good selection. Fee free and PM and give me as many pointers that you wish.. lol Glad to be part of the team..!!

BigJer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2010, 07:43 PM   #2616
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownfeesh View Post
Hello all,
I am new to this hobby. I am 14 years old and have reasearched for the past 7 months about this hobby. After stetting up my 75 gal aquarium, I added my live rock, now my tank is fully cycled and everything is good. Well, now, there is all this dtuff just popping out. I know mostly everything that has popped out.. except this on thing... There is this red anemone looking thing that has popped out. It has bright green florescent tips. It has a very pronounced mouth. Any help would be much appreciated!

To Reef Central
It's going to be hard to id something based on description alone, I can guess that it's some sort of anemone but without a picture, it's just speculation. Start a new thread in the New To The Hobby forum and post the pic.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/17/2010, 07:46 PM   #2617
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJer77 View Post
Hey...

I am still a N00b to the world of Reef Tanks and Marine Fish. I decided to throw my hat into ring in Jan '10 and I am still fine tuning my tank (120g Perfecto). I live in Central New Jersey and most of my weekends consist of looking for new LFS with a good selection. Fee free and PM and give me as many pointers that you wish.. lol Glad to be part of the team..!!

To Reef Central

Hope you find a good LFS. Have you looked in the local area for a good reef club? RC has a great section with local clubs. Check out this link there are 2 from NJ and one looks like it's active.

Good Luck.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/18/2010, 09:23 AM   #2618
Scorpion85
Registered Member

New to the Hobby

Hi guys my name is ken and im very new to this hobby( 4 days). I have a 180 gallon saltwater community tank. Its my first tank and im very excited!! I need help though)

Scorpion85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 09:34 AM   #2619
shortaf
Registered Member

Hello!
I got suckered into the hobby by those beautiful coral display tanks at our LFS and my husband. He's into freshwater and had a 125g tank but really likes saltwater, unfortunately for him, he's too impatient to do it. :P He bought me a 14g biocube for our anniversary, if that's not a hint I don't know what is. I have two peppermint shrimp and am looking to add a new coral as soon as my levels look good. Overall, I'm enjoying it so far and am looking forward to creating a beautiful landscape.

I'm glad to find such a helpful group of people!

shortaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 11:58 AM   #2620
funkman262
Registered Member

Hey RC,

I was recently drawn into the saltwater hobby and hoping to turn my 10g live rock w/ inverts tank into a nano reef. I love the pics I've seen from members' tanks. The big issue I'm having right now is lighting and I'm hoping this site will help me get that taken care of soon. I tried making a thread in the DIY section asking for help with LEDs but it said I need to wait for a Mod's approval. Anyone have any clue how long that might take (I posted it over 12 hours ago)? Anyway, I'm excited to continue reading through the threads and learning as much as possible

funkman262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 12:33 PM   #2621
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion85 View Post
Hi guys my name is ken and im very new to this hobby( 4 days). I have a 180 gallon saltwater community tank. Its my first tank and im very excited!! I need help though)

To Reef Central
You've come to the right spot for help. Start a new thread and ask away. Good luck with your 180

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/18/2010, 12:35 PM   #2622
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortaf View Post
Hello!
I got suckered into the hobby by those beautiful coral display tanks at our LFS and my husband. He's into freshwater and had a 125g tank but really likes saltwater, unfortunately for him, he's too impatient to do it. :P He bought me a 14g biocube for our anniversary, if that's not a hint I don't know what is. I have two peppermint shrimp and am looking to add a new coral as soon as my levels look good. Overall, I'm enjoying it so far and am looking forward to creating a beautiful landscape.

I'm glad to find such a helpful group of people!

To Reef Central
Once you establish that biocube you know that your husband is going to want to convert that 125 over... just wait.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/18/2010, 01:30 PM   #2623
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkman262 View Post
Hey RC,

I was recently drawn into the saltwater hobby and hoping to turn my 10g live rock w/ inverts tank into a nano reef. I love the pics I've seen from members' tanks. The big issue I'm having right now is lighting and I'm hoping this site will help me get that taken care of soon. I tried making a thread in the DIY section asking for help with LEDs but it said I need to wait for a Mod's approval. Anyone have any clue how long that might take (I posted it over 12 hours ago)? Anyway, I'm excited to continue reading through the threads and learning as much as possible

To Reef Central

that mod approval thing is just to verify you aren't a BOT. as for the LED lighting you're in the right spot because those guys in the DIY forum know more about it that the majority of us. Good luck with your nano reef.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/18/2010, 04:42 PM   #2624
shortaf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post

To Reef Central
Once you establish that biocube you know that your husband is going to want to convert that 125 over... just wait.
LOL, the funny thing is that he's already mentioned that. I think he may use it as an excuse to upgrade his 125g and "give" it to me.

shortaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2010, 01:25 AM   #2625
Philberthain33
Registered Member

Hey,

I am also new to this forum. That welcome smiley is nice, how do you get that. Share all about your hobbies, mine is philately and monately.

best port wine

Philberthain33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral