Reef Central Online Community
SpectraPure

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 01/06/2018, 12:42 PM   #2651
LQT
Registered Member
 
LQT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fairfield, CT
Posts: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by souk View Post
I'm pushing but either will do. I will get some pix up for you when I get back home.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Sweet... Thanks!


__________________
- Leon (aka - Water Dog)

Working on an upgrade: Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden
LQT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2018, 01:58 PM   #2652
souk
Registered Member
 
souk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQT View Post
Sweet... Thanks!
Here are a few pics to give an idea. Not the best looking pictures. Lol. 1st pic, swapped out input with ph probe holder. 2nd pic, changed output to feed line. 3rd pic, was ph port which I had to buy a bushing from Menards and tapped with 1/8 npt for the fitting.

This is the way I did it. There might be a better way if doing it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk


__________________
185 DSA, 40br Sump w/some stuff in it
ATI 8x80 w/bulbs
souk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2018, 12:08 PM   #2653
souk
Registered Member
 
souk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Change your Apex program to just shut off the regulator if pH gets to 6.3 (lower than that and it can turn media into mush). Watch it for a day and see where it settles out. If tank dKH continues to decrease than increase the PSI or bubble count to lower the pH of the effleunt. If dKH increases than lower the PSI or bubble count to raise the effluent pH. Do not set a high shutoff with the Apex.
Thanks again for suggesting to drop it down to 6.3. The chart is telling me that I'm injecting too much. Which route do you think is best, back off on the co2 or add more flow through the m/f?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk


__________________
185 DSA, 40br Sump w/some stuff in it
ATI 8x80 w/bulbs
souk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2018, 06:02 PM   #2654
ReefPharmer
Registered Member
 
ReefPharmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: los angeles
Posts: 1,823
So this may be helpful for alot of people or maybe not... i am currently using reborn media. Lets assume that due to my lack of maintenance of the lower levels of media, the reactor clogged up some, causing the recirc pump not to break/push the bubbles enough--causing bubbles to form and ph in the reactor not to drop properly. W/ that said...

How often do you guys clean the reactor? Do you toss old media? Can you just rinse the old media (smaller pieces at the bottom half of the reactor) and use them? Reborn doesnt seem to be all that cheap so thats why i ask. Ty


ReefPharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2018, 09:59 PM   #2655
souk
Registered Member
 
souk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 95
So after setting my ph in the rx at 6.3 to see if it would plateau but it just wants to go even lower then 6.3. So I decided to check my mag, alk, and cal to see where it's sitting at since the change. Looks like my mag stayed the same at 1380, my alk dropped from 7.35 to 6.85, and cal dropped from 400 to 390.

By dropping my ph in the rx shouldn't my effluent be more concentrated hence raising my levels? Any reason why it would continue to drop?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk


__________________
185 DSA, 40br Sump w/some stuff in it
ATI 8x80 w/bulbs
souk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2018, 11:57 PM   #2656
five.five-six
Registered Member
 
five.five-six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Corona
Posts: 6,472
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by souk View Post
So after setting my ph in the rx at 6.3 to see if it would plateau but it just wants to go even lower then 6.3. So I decided to check my mag, alk, and cal to see where it's sitting at since the change. Looks like my mag stayed the same at 1380, my alk dropped from 7.35 to 6.85, and cal dropped from 400 to 390.

By dropping my ph in the rx shouldn't my effluent be more concentrated hence raising my levels? Any reason why it would continue to drop?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
You might want to collect some of your effluent, cut it with RO/DI and test it.

The fact that your mag consumption isnít rising leads me to think that probably calcium and alk consumption isnít rising.

On a side note, your mag is on the low side and being on the high side, 1500 and above doesnít seem to hurt anything but if your test kit is off by a bit, low mg can lead to ca/alk precipitation.


__________________
Originally posted by yellowslayer13:

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 135 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 250W X2 20k radiums mixed SPS
five.five-six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2018, 02:19 AM   #2657
tkeracer619
Registered Member

 
tkeracer619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 17,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefPharmer View Post
So this may be helpful for alot of people or maybe not... i am currently using reborn media. Lets assume that due to my lack of maintenance of the lower levels of media, the reactor clogged up some, causing the recirc pump not to break/push the bubbles enough--causing bubbles to form and ph in the reactor not to drop properly. W/ that said...

How often do you guys clean the reactor? Do you toss old media? Can you just rinse the old media (smaller pieces at the bottom half of the reactor) and use them? Reborn doesnt seem to be all that cheap so thats why i ask. Ty
I clean about once or twice a year. I don't toss the old media.


__________________
Hobby Experience: 9200ish gallons, 26 skimmers, and a handful of Kent Scrapers.
Current Tank:
Vortech Powered 600G SPS Tank w/ 100gal frag tank & 100g Sump. RK2-RK10 Skimmer. ReefAngel. Radium 20k.
tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2018, 02:21 AM   #2658
tkeracer619
Registered Member

 
tkeracer619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 17,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by souk View Post
So after setting my ph in the rx at 6.3 to see if it would plateau but it just wants to go even lower then 6.3. So I decided to check my mag, alk, and cal to see where it's sitting at since the change. Looks like my mag stayed the same at 1380, my alk dropped from 7.35 to 6.85, and cal dropped from 400 to 390.

By dropping my ph in the rx shouldn't my effluent be more concentrated hence raising my levels? Any reason why it would continue to drop?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Add more effluent and gas. Sounds like you simply aren't driving the reactor hard enough.


__________________
Hobby Experience: 9200ish gallons, 26 skimmers, and a handful of Kent Scrapers.
Current Tank:
Vortech Powered 600G SPS Tank w/ 100gal frag tank & 100g Sump. RK2-RK10 Skimmer. ReefAngel. Radium 20k.
tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2018, 08:04 AM   #2659
souk
Registered Member
 
souk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Add more effluent and gas. Sounds like you simply aren't driving the reactor hard enough.
I'll crank up the effluent first and see what happens since the co2 still wants to go lower then 6.3. Thx

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk


__________________
185 DSA, 40br Sump w/some stuff in it
ATI 8x80 w/bulbs
souk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2018, 01:47 PM   #2660
hkgar
Registered Member
 
hkgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dewitt MI
Posts: 4,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by souk View Post
I'll crank up the effluent first and see what happens since the co2 still wants to go lower then 6.3. Thx

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Part 3 on this site:
http://reef.diesyst.com/reactor/reactor.html
Will give you the adjustments to make, but you do need to determine the dKH of the effluent. What test kit are you using for dKH?


__________________
Gary


180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 8 ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Reef Octopus CaRx

Current Tank Info: 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head, Yellow/Purple, Hoevans, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, Purple & Atlantic Blue Tangs, Matted Filefish, 2 Percula Clown, 4 PJ Cardinals, Swallowtail Angel
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2018, 01:56 PM   #2661
souk
Registered Member
 
souk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Part 3 on this site:
http://reef.diesyst.com/reactor/reactor.html
Will give you the adjustments to make, but you do need to determine the dKH of the effluent. What test kit are you using for dKH?
Thanks for the site. The test kits that I'm using for dkh is Salifert and Hanna. Both are reading about the same.


__________________
185 DSA, 40br Sump w/some stuff in it
ATI 8x80 w/bulbs
souk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2018, 02:36 PM   #2662
hkgar
Registered Member
 
hkgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dewitt MI
Posts: 4,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by souk View Post
Thanks for the site. The test kits that I'm using for dkh is Salifert and Hanna. Both are reading about the same.
Same two that i use. I like the Hanna as there is less noise from 1 ppm versus .01ml.

I use the Salifert for testing the dKH of the effluent. 2 drops to 2 ml effluent.


__________________
Gary


180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 8 ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Reef Octopus CaRx

Current Tank Info: 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head, Yellow/Purple, Hoevans, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, Purple & Atlantic Blue Tangs, Matted Filefish, 2 Percula Clown, 4 PJ Cardinals, Swallowtail Angel
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2018, 03:59 PM   #2663
five.five-six
Registered Member
 
five.five-six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Corona
Posts: 6,472
Blog Entries: 6
Funny to note that you havenít done the latest update either. I read that there are all sorts of problems with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by souk View Post
Thanks again for suggesting to drop it down to 6.3. The chart is telling me that I'm injecting too much. Which route do you think is best, back off on the co2 or add more flow through the m/f?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk



__________________
Originally posted by yellowslayer13:

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 135 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 250W X2 20k radiums mixed SPS
five.five-six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2018, 04:17 PM   #2664
hkgar
Registered Member
 
hkgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dewitt MI
Posts: 4,517
6.3 is too low. Media can turn to mush at that level. If dKH is increasing increase the dKH of the effluent by either decreasing the bubble count or decreasing the PSI of each bubble. Do not increase flow unless you can no longer meet the demands (usage) of the tank at a pH level of about 6.35

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/


__________________
Gary


180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 8 ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Reef Octopus CaRx

Current Tank Info: 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head, Yellow/Purple, Hoevans, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, Purple & Atlantic Blue Tangs, Matted Filefish, 2 Percula Clown, 4 PJ Cardinals, Swallowtail Angel
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2018, 06:09 PM   #2665
souk
Registered Member
 
souk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
Funny to note that you havenít done the latest update either. I read that there are all sorts of problems with it.
Currently running the latest firmware and haven't seen any issues.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk


__________________
185 DSA, 40br Sump w/some stuff in it
ATI 8x80 w/bulbs
souk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2018, 08:50 PM   #2666
souk
Registered Member
 
souk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
6.3 is too low. Media can turn to mush at that level. If dKH is increasing increase the dKH of the effluent by either decreasing the bubble count or decreasing the PSI of each bubble. Do not increase flow unless you can no longer meet the demands (usage) of the tank at a pH level of about 6.35

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/
I'll bump it back up to 6.5 and monitor it. I'll see how the numbers play out. I did bump up my effluent from 38 ml/min to 48.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk


__________________
185 DSA, 40br Sump w/some stuff in it
ATI 8x80 w/bulbs
souk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2018, 01:50 PM   #2667
fixmgood
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by souk View Post
Here are a few pics to give an idea. Not the best looking pictures. Lol. 1st pic, swapped out input with ph probe holder. 2nd pic, changed output to feed line. 3rd pic, was ph port which I had to buy a bushing from Menards and tapped with 1/8 npt for the fitting.

This is the way I did it. There might be a better way if doing it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Souk did this modification solve your problem? I have a GEO reactor with the extra chamber and also getting major bubbles when I up my bubble count in order to achieve the correct ph. If I lower the amount that the Master Flex is pulling rather than upping the bubble count I land up with the same bubble issue.


__________________
Ivan

Current Tank Info: 450g AGE,200 gallon sump, Red Dragon Speedy 230w return pump and closed loop,4 way Ocean Motion,PM Balistic Skimmer.3 Sea Swirl returns.AI Hydra 52HD,Apex contoller. Build thread "The after disaster 650g build"
fixmgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2018, 04:15 PM   #2668
souk
Registered Member
 
souk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmgood View Post
Souk did this modification solve your problem? I have a GEO reactor with the extra chamber and also getting major bubbles when I up my bubble count in order to achieve the correct ph. If I lower the amount that the Master Flex is pulling rather than upping the bubble count I land up with the same bubble issue.
The mod is just to fix the air issue. My issue is a different thing.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk


__________________
185 DSA, 40br Sump w/some stuff in it
ATI 8x80 w/bulbs
souk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2018, 05:01 PM   #2669
fixmgood
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 907
Air issue being the bubbles?


__________________
Ivan

Current Tank Info: 450g AGE,200 gallon sump, Red Dragon Speedy 230w return pump and closed loop,4 way Ocean Motion,PM Balistic Skimmer.3 Sea Swirl returns.AI Hydra 52HD,Apex contoller. Build thread "The after disaster 650g build"
fixmgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2018, 06:03 PM   #2670
souk
Registered Member
 
souk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmgood View Post
Air issue being the bubbles?
Yes. In your case it could be from injecting too much co2 or air is getting in from one of the fittings or pump. If all connections are good and backing off the co2 is not the answer then you'll have to mod the first tube so the trapped air can vent out to the 2nd tube.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk


__________________
185 DSA, 40br Sump w/some stuff in it
ATI 8x80 w/bulbs
souk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2018, 08:48 PM   #2671
Justjohno
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 37
I've read through the many pages on this post, which has plenty of good content. I'm new to calcium reactor's and I'm finally going to break down and add to my tank. I have several questions and hope someone can share their knowledge. I have a 120g DT, mixed reef that is SPS heavy. Sad to say, but i probably understand about 30% of what I need to get this setup. I'm looking at the GEO CR612x2, with Electronic Carbon Doser, which I think comes with a regulator. First few post I see a different regulator that is attached to the carbon doser.

I'm looking at the many Peristaltic pumps from that cole parmer has to offer. First post from several brushless pumps are referenced. Those models are very expensive used on ebay, What am I looking for in a pump - brushless? RPM? Does the pump need to be all in one vs. modular?

How much flow do I need going into the reactor? I've read a lot about push / pull. If I plan to pull, do I setup the pump to pull from the top effluent? If I pull with the peristaltic pump, do I need to feed the reactor from my manifold? How much flow is coming from the peristaltic pump and back into the tank?

Thanks in advance for the help.


Justjohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2018, 05:12 PM   #2672
fixmgood
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 907
Souk the bushing where the probe is,did you have to replace it.If you did was the original bushing glued in.If it was glued how did you get it out?


__________________
Ivan

Current Tank Info: 450g AGE,200 gallon sump, Red Dragon Speedy 230w return pump and closed loop,4 way Ocean Motion,PM Balistic Skimmer.3 Sea Swirl returns.AI Hydra 52HD,Apex contoller. Build thread "The after disaster 650g build"

Last edited by fixmgood; 01/13/2018 at 05:13 PM. Reason: spelling
fixmgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2018, 08:45 PM   #2673
souk
Registered Member
 
souk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmgood View Post
Souk the bushing where the probe is,did you have to replace it.If you did was the original bushing glued in.If it was glued how did you get it out?
The black probe holder screws off and the original 1/2" pvc bushing that is glued on is still there. What you see is a 1/2" nylon screw on that had a barbed end that I had cut off and then tapped with 1/8 for the mur-lok fitting. I also added a black o-ring to help seal it. Not sure if it's needed but wanted to be safe. HTH

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk


__________________
185 DSA, 40br Sump w/some stuff in it
ATI 8x80 w/bulbs
souk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2018, 11:03 PM   #2674
fixmgood
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 907
Souk not sure that we are talking about the same thing. I am talking about where the probe holder is in its new position.The black fitting is 1/2" the bushing is 1/4",did you replace the bushing or drill and tap it? If this needs to be moved to a new thread I will be happy to do so.


__________________
Ivan

Current Tank Info: 450g AGE,200 gallon sump, Red Dragon Speedy 230w return pump and closed loop,4 way Ocean Motion,PM Balistic Skimmer.3 Sea Swirl returns.AI Hydra 52HD,Apex contoller. Build thread "The after disaster 650g build"
fixmgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2018, 12:16 AM   #2675
souk
Registered Member
 
souk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmgood View Post
Souk not sure that we are talking about the same thing. I am talking about where the probe holder is in its new position.The black fitting is 1/2" the bushing is 1/4",did you replace the bushing or drill and tap it? If this needs to be moved to a new thread I will be happy to do so.
Sorry about that. If you are talking about the bushing that I circled then mine is 1/2". So no mod on my end. I'm not sure if he changed the fitting on other models but mine is the 818.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk


__________________
185 DSA, 40br Sump w/some stuff in it
ATI 8x80 w/bulbs
souk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:08 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.