Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/18/2017, 07:58 PM   #751
soulpatch
Registered Member

Likely grab one of these setups...

http://poseidonreefsystems.com/produ...copepod-system

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 05:17 PM   #752
texdoc77
Registered Member

Ok boss would you kindly give me your exact sps dipping instructions. Such as concentrations, minutes and order. I'd appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Currently Rebuilding
texdoc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 05:25 PM   #753
soulpatch
Registered Member

Roughly 10ml of bayer per every 2 cups of sw. Take frags off plugs, take soft tooth brush to frag, dip for 5 minutes, brush again and put in sw rinse. Dip in 50/50 peroxide and sw dip for another 5 minutes or so with final brushing and onto fresh plug then into tank.

Old plugs dried out and scrubbes to be used at later time months later

Unread 03/19/2017, 08:37 PM   #754
texdoc77
Registered Member

Thanks very much. Get your WD coral yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 03/19/2017, 08:38 PM   #755
soulpatch
Registered Member

Going up April 15 to pick it up and perhaps a few other items....

Unread 03/23/2017, 09:25 AM   #756
soulpatch
Registered Member

If not one thing its another. I got the vertex running right after I fixed the one bushing in the motor. Went to turn it on the other night and no bueno on the solenoid only for it to open shortly after post stripping it apart and putting it back together.

I have also been dealing with Spectrapure for the past week as their pump has been siezing up on me some which is my reactor feed pump. So now I need to take that offline and send into them for repairs. It stinks about the delays but at the same time this is why I went with the spectrapure pump over a used masterflex. I wanted the warranty. So now I will need to wait on that to get repaired and back out to me.

In the mean time I think I will swap in a 1/4" bulkhead to my manifold and feed the calrx through that and use the needle valve for fine adjustment until I get the spectrapure back. I want my tnk stable ASAP.

On the plus side all fish are now in DT and my rainbow nem decided to split again. I saw the baby nem last night as I was going to bed riding around on the back of my large turbo snail. So he is in a spot now that I hopw he will stay in until I decide if I will sell him or not.

Unread 03/23/2017, 06:47 PM   #757
Darthv247
Registered Member

haha thats awesome. hitchhiker nem.

Darthv247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 07:50 PM   #758
C.poindexter
Registered Member

Nice build. Congrats.

C.poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 03:35 AM   #759
homer1475
Registered Member

Just stole your Banjo coupling idea for my mixing station. Not sure where you bought yours, but I found them on a site called Zoro? A little confusing on what parts to order as they have the coupling and adapter listed in 2 different sections of the website. lol

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 07:18 AM   #760
texdoc77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
If not one thing its another. I got the vertex running right after I fixed the one bushing in the motor. Went to turn it on the other night and no bueno on the solenoid only for it to open shortly after post stripping it apart and putting it back together.

I have also been dealing with Spectrapure for the past week as their pump has been siezing up on me some which is my reactor feed pump. So now I need to take that offline and send into them for repairs. It stinks about the delays but at the same time this is why I went with the spectrapure pump over a used masterflex. I wanted the warranty. So now I will need to wait on that to get repaired and back out to me.

In the mean time I think I will swap in a 1/4" bulkhead to my manifold and feed the calrx through that and use the needle valve for fine adjustment until I get the spectrapure back. I want my tnk stable ASAP.

On the plus side all fish are now in DT and my rainbow nem decided to split again. I saw the baby nem last night as I was going to bed riding around on the back of my large turbo snail. So he is in a spot now that I hopw he will stay in until I decide if I will sell him or not.
Ugh. You know with the issues you have had with your reactor I may not consider adding one until my wife and I move. We plan on moving within the next 3 years and part of the remodel will be adding a fish room. I think I won't try the reactor until that stage.

In the meantime I am dosing 2-part. Just curious how much you are dosing daily. I am at 28ml of alk and about 12ml of calcium at the moment, just a dribble of mg, I think like 2ml daily...

Unread 03/24/2017, 07:40 AM   #761
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Just stole your Banjo coupling idea for my mixing station. Not sure where you bought yours, but I found them on a site called Zoro? A little confusing on what parts to order as they have the coupling and adapter listed in 2 different sections of the website. lol
Um amazon. LOL. BRS also stocks some of them as well. I think I got my last few from them when I placed a different order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdoc77 View Post
Ugh. You know with the issues you have had with your reactor I may not consider adding one until my wife and I move. We plan on moving within the next 3 years and part of the remodel will be adding a fish room. I think I won't try the reactor until that stage.

In the meantime I am dosing 2-part. Just curious how much you are dosing daily. I am at 28ml of alk and about 12ml of calcium at the moment, just a dribble of mg, I think like 2ml daily...
I wouldn't worry about my issues. I knew going into it that I would likely have issues with the spectrapure pump as I am basically beta testing it in an application it is not really intended for but they think it can handle. So at this point I am sending it back in to be looked at but the pump "works" right now sending 30ml a min to my tank (30ml of water as I havent really turned on the gas yet).

My solenoid is working at the moment as well but I had some issues with it so going to send out to Alanle to have him fix it since I bought from him. Might look to buy a spare as well as I like having duplicates.

As for the reactor pump itself that was a very basic manufactoring defect that took me looking at the bushing to notice. I wouldn't have any qualms recommending the reactor and their US based service is top notch. I still might look into buying a spare pump assembly as they are only $60 but it is not high on my list at the moment.

As for manual dosing I am not dosing 2 part daily. I test probably once or twice a week and bring things back up to spec there. I will have to switch to daily though this week and until I can get the calcium reactor online. I need things completly stable for the next 3 weeks before I go putting in name pieces. I do eat though calcium pretty fast though and since switching back to regular IO I have to dose more to bring it up to spec. In the next few weeks my calcium reactor should handle that for me though.

When we finally move (now looking like next 3-5) I will have a basement fish room as well and likely add a fowlr tank for some other types of fish. Not sure I would have wanted to wait for a calcium reactor till then but then again I am way more into sticks then you are at thi point. If I was still just acans and softies I wouldn't have worried about it and kept my dosing setup that Homer now has.

BTW Homer did you see Pac Sun has a KH monitor coming out that will link to the doser? I saw that and was immediately jealous. Their stand alone unit might come this year but I think is slated for next year at this point...

Unread 03/29/2017, 09:26 AM   #762
LQT
Registered Member

How has your Lifereef skimmer performed thus far on your 150? I just scored a used SVS2-24 (non-flanged) skimmer that I intend to use on a 70 total gallon system, but would like the flexibility to upgrade to no more than a 150 gallon tank in the future. Wondering if the 24 is sufficient for the 150 and how it has performed for you.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 10:27 AM   #763
soulpatch
Registered Member

I have no issue with my 24 on the 150. It skims great. My only issue with it is that it takes forever to get back to normal operation after a chemiclean treatment. My older needle wheel units did not take nearly as long to make it back. That said I would never go back to needle wheel. The SVS-24 is probably ok up to a 180 gallon tank though pushing it. I will upgrade to a 36 or larger unit one day when I upgrade and will get it flanged (my current is also not flanged) for any potential upgrades so I only need to get extensions.

Unread 03/29/2017, 10:48 AM   #764
LQT
Registered Member

Nice! I appreciate the heads up. Also, what pump are you currently running with it?

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 10:49 AM   #765
soulpatch
Registered Member

I have a dct8000 or 12000 on it right now. The mag it came with was sending current into my tank so I had to swap out.

Unread 03/31/2017, 12:48 AM   #766
texdoc77
Registered Member

Just wanted you to know how much I appreciate your help and support. I know I am not the only one that has benefitted from your advice and timely responses, but I really feel like my saltwater experience has significantly benefitted from your guidance and no nonsense take on reefing.

Thanks!!

Unread 03/31/2017, 07:31 AM   #767
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdoc77 View Post
Just wanted you to know how much I appreciate your help and support. I know I am not the only one that has benefitted from your advice and timely responses, but I really feel like my saltwater experience has significantly benefitted from your guidance and no nonsense take on reefing.

Thanks!!
Thanks man. Just trying to pay it forward from all the help others have given me...

Unread 03/31/2017, 12:35 PM   #768
LowHangingFruit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
Roughly 10ml of bayer per every 2 cups of sw. Take frags off plugs, take soft tooth brush to frag, dip for 5 minutes, brush again and put in sw rinse. Dip in 50/50 peroxide and sw dip for another 5 minutes or so with final brushing and onto fresh plug then into tank.

Old plugs dried out and scrubbes to be used at later time months later

SPS can handle dips in hydrogen peroxide?

Unread 03/31/2017, 12:42 PM   #769
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowHangingFruit View Post
SPS can handle dips in hydrogen peroxide?
Yes. All of my SPS and LPS have gone through a peroxide dip. You can see my process posted earlier and if you read the super long peroxide thread on here you will see it has almost no impact to most corals. your results might vary but with so much anecdotal evidence including my own I am fine stating as such.

PLEASE NOTE that the dip is not into straight peroxide but a 50/50 mix with SW. I do not recommend putting straight peroxide onto anything other then bare rock even though some have had no issues. Straight peroxide dips have had some mortality issues

Unread 03/31/2017, 03:21 PM   #770
Darthv247
Registered Member

BRS.com has a good video about dipping corals on their page. They pretty much put their corals through hell and back before placing them in the tank.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/...ps-and-tricks/

Unread 03/31/2017, 03:37 PM   #771
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthv247 View Post
BRS.com has a good video about dipping corals on their page. They pretty much put their corals through hell and back before placing them in the tank.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/...ps-and-tricks/
Coral rx and such is ok but the coral dips are very limited in pests they will get rid of. For those of is in sps red bugs arent touched by the stuff which is why manu of us have gone to bayer.

As for tank updayes i dont have many but here is a new toy and a fts during feedimg

Unread 03/31/2017, 08:35 PM   #772
Darthv247
Registered Member

right. i just meant its good to see their procedure. they use bayer in the video too but the other dips are just products they are trying to sell.

how do u like the pod system so far? looks cool if nothing else haha.

Unread 04/01/2017, 09:09 AM   #773
soulpatch
Registered Member

Already had one batch of pods and phyto. Figire it cost me 130 for everything so in a few weeks of harvest it pays for itself amd i jave endless food for fish and corals..

Random shots this morning. No filters just my normal phone camera.

Unread 04/01/2017, 09:37 AM   #774
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Some nicely colored corals. I really like the rainbow colored acan in the pic above the hydnophora. Have to keep us posted on how your new toy works out. I was thinking of investing in something similar but DIY. If you have good luck with yours though I might have to go with the same.

Current Tank Info: System 1 Mixed Reef: 180g DT,180g Fuge, 120g Sump http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2611735
JonezNReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2017, 09:47 AM   #775
soulpatch
Registered Member

No hydrophora. That is a bad pic of a sunset mille