Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/14/2011, 01:17 PM   #1
MNfish84
Registered Member

Butterflies/angels compatibility with RBTA

Anyone have any experience mixing Angelfish or butterfiles with Large sized RBTAs? I know that angels will munch on just about everything but have never heard nems mentioned. Also what about Butterfly fish? I know that they will go after pest nems like aptasia and such but again have never heard anything mentioned about full grown BTAs. I've been thinking about making some new additions again. My tank is pretty much FOWLR right now but I do have 4 BTAS left from when I took down my 75 reef.

MNfish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2011, 07:47 PM   #2
MNfish84
Registered Member

no one has any input?

MNfish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2011, 10:39 PM   #3
alex_bayarea
Registered Member

I have dwarf angels - Flame, Lemon Peel, and Bi-color in my 150 FOWLR tank and the aptasia problem I had completely disappeared. I am looking to stock butterfly fish too but given that the dwarf angels have already been established there for a while I am more worried about butterfly fish compatibility among each other at this point.

alex_bayarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2011, 11:49 PM   #4
Reef264
Where's The Reef?

I know Butterflies eat Aptasia Anemones.They are in the Family of Anemones, but not the same species as RBTA's.I only know of clown fish mimicking the mucus of anemones, protecting them, so I don't think that the Angels, or Butterflies Would Take a whack at the RBTA, seeing as they would be stung, and if they did I think they would figure out that corals taste a lot better, I am assuming we are talking about Large Angels.

Current Tank Info: 150g SPS Reef, 2x250w 14k Pheonix Metal Halides w/T-5 Actinics, 2 Tunze 6095's, Tunze 7096 controller, Ozone, Precision Marine Skimmer, Reef Octopus Bio-Churn Bio Pellet Reactor, GFO & Carbon Reactor, Ozone Reactor, ATO, Reef Keeper.
Reef264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2011, 02:31 AM   #5
Scottkelly911
Registered Member

Large Angels can be a toss up depending on their personality. Butterflies are a definite no go.

Unread 11/07/2011, 03:18 AM   #6
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

MNfish84, I have aiptasia, RBTA's and a Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel. The angel eats any featherduster I had or put in, but not the anemones (I wish it would go after aiptasia)! I just got a Mueller's Butterfly and after 2 weeks in QT to make sure it was eating I moved it last night to the DT. So far so good. I may have to pull the Red Sea Purple Tang (it's currently in a fish trap) as the tang just wanted to fight with the butterfly. The butterfly hasn't gone after any aiptasia yet (some do and some don't). I less worried about the RBTA and more worried about my clams.