Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/13/2020, 01:56 PM   #1
steve1981
Registered Member

Maroon clown babies on edge of glass

Hi all.

My gold strip maroon clowns eggs have just hatched in my hatch tank and I'm happy to say that there are loads! (i have been trying for about 18 months with varying success.)

I have noticed that the larvae are hanging around the edges of the tank and staying up against the sides. They did this even before I introduced the rotifers to feed on.

A) Is this normal?
B) Is it ok for them to be doing this?
C) If not, how can I get them away from the edges?

I'm kinda worried that if they stay close to the walls, they might not be eating and consequently die.

I have a small LED strip light above the tank, white paper on the bottom so I can see dead ones or debris, and black paper surrounding the tank so they only get light from above to see the rots. (I tried removing the black paper from one side but didn't really do anything, they were still against the edge on that side. )

Any advice would be welcomed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1418.jpg (32.1 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by steve1981; 12/13/2020 at 01:57 PM. Reason: SPELLING
steve1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2020, 03:14 PM   #2
Anna LR
Registered Member

I think it is too late for this reply, but one reason for larvae staying at the glass is if you have not tinted the water with microalgae. The other reason is too much light.

The water should be just a bit cloudy or cloudier and tinted green if you are using a green algae.

Anna LR is offline   Reply With Quote