Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 06/14/2018, 08:51 PM   #1
kaotica
Registered Member

lighting question

I used to have a 120G w/ halides and VHOs and tore the tank down about 11 years ago, a year later i got a JBJ 28nano w/ HQI hood, tank cracked and i got a warranty replacement but never did anything with it for years. I then set it up about 2 years ago but removed the hood and put an AI PrimeHD on it.

I ran it as a FOWLR mostly because I wasn't super convinced of the AI for growing LPS and zoanthids. I got the Aquamaxx HOB skimmer for it, but never really felt convinced the water was "ok". I finally got it to take off and was getting decent coralline and polyps to grow, and i was excited it was finally progressing, then Hurricane Irma hit and everything died, including my son's 3 year old sergeant major. I tore it down and set it up again a few months later, but fish didn't live very long overall neither did anything else i put in there.

I wanted to increase water volume so we ended up getting a RedSea Reefer 170, which I am filling up w/ water as we speak...

I am debating about the lighting. I don't want to spend any money if i don't have to. will the AI cut it, or do I need more light? I was thinking of possibly building a hood and putting the JBJ's 150W HQI and 2x24W PC's I have; is that the old-school me asking for a salvo? I am a little lost when it comes to this newer lighting.

I plan on having a few fish, LPS, polyps and inverts... I don't think i will go the SPS route again because of the amount of work needed and the absence of time available to perform said work.

What do you guys recommend I do?

Old 06/15/2018, 04:45 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

The single AI prime is stated to cover up to 24" x 24"..
Your tank is 24" x 20"..
That single fixture should be sufficient for most low/medium light corals and you can easily just put "higher" light corals up top/center..

IMO... run it and see how it goes... adapt as needed

Old 06/15/2018, 09:50 PM   #3
kaotica
Registered Member

fair enough! i'll give it a shot, thanks!