Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/09/2019, 08:49 AM   #1
Chris918
Registered Member

Question Acrylic Lid with Mesh Net

Hello friends,

I recently ordered a tsunami lid from clearview. While I'm pleased with the general look of it, the custom cuts that were done for my light mounts are too small. Granted I should've asked for a cut bigger than the exact size of the mount so I take the blame there. The cut is the size I asked for, but because the acrylic curves on one end of each cut, the mount doesn't fit. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could make the cut bigger? What's the best way to cut acrylic when I'm just making a small extension to a cutout area?

Thanks!

Chris918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2019, 08:52 AM   #2
journeyman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris918 View Post
Hello friends,

I recently ordered a tsunami lid from clearview. While I'm pleased with the general look of it, the custom cuts that were done for my light mounts are too small. Granted I should've asked for a cut bigger than the exact size of the mount so I take the blame there. The cut is the size I asked for, but because the acrylic curves on one end of each cut, the mount doesn't fit. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could make the cut bigger? What's the best way to cut acrylic when I'm just making a small extension to a cutout area?

Thanks!
I don't know if it's the best way, but you can use a Dremel to cut acrylic.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2019, 08:59 AM   #3
Chris918
Registered Member

I was hoping the small cutting tool would work, but without the ability to snap the acrylic since the lid is already one piece it didn't seem likely. I'll try and look into a few tools.

Chris918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2019, 10:07 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Can you post pictures so we can see exactly what you are talking about?
I'm not clear on what really needs to be done.

Could be as simple as using a file or hacksaw/jigsaw

Unread 04/12/2019, 07:14 AM   #5
Nrdau
Registered Member

I would use a jigsaw

Nrdau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2019, 09:00 PM   #6
Dr RBG
Registered Member

If it's a small amount the safest way would be to sand it use medium grit. May take a while but it is controlled

Dr RBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2019, 04:33 PM   #7
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

FYI, they're made of polycarbonate not acrylic. Slightly different workabilities between the two. But I would say sand it if it's a small amount, or use a router with a flush trim bit and just take slivers off at a time.

Unread 04/20/2019, 02:08 PM   #8
OCReeferr
Registered Member

This exact thing happened to me when I ordered from ClearView.

I had emailed them before ordering and asked if I needed to add any ‘slop room’ or allowances for clearance and they told me to give them the exact measurements and would handle the rest.

Couple months later the lid showed up looking as beautiful as ever but when I tried to put it on the tank it wouldn’t fit! I emailed them right away and after a couple emails back and forth they sent me a return label and told me they would route the holes again for me.

I just received it back from them last night actually and it fits perfect. I WOULD NOT CUT IT YOURSELF!! Send them a friendly email and they should work with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OCReeferr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acrylic, custom lid, diy lid