Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/14/2019, 07:46 AM   #1
Mikegray
Registered Member

Salt mix station in garage

Thinking of buying a couple water storage tanks and pumping about 40 ft across my hall into office where the 130 is gonna be. My only thought is what's everybodies thought on parking cars in garage. Pulling in and out. Exhaust a major issue?

Mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2019, 08:22 AM   #2
shellsea
Registered Member

I have mine set up in the garage. Never thought of that potential down side but don’t think it is that concerning. I never had any issues. Garage door is, or SHOULD be open whenever car is running. Lol. Good thought though. Curious to hear what others say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 04/14/2019, 10:34 PM   #3
Mikegray
Registered Member

What about the norwesco tank full of salt water. Mixing it for 24 hours in garage with car in there and using. Or going the route of always having some saltwater in there in case its needed. I know the top is self vented. Do you think that little tank like 40 gallon will have I'll effects on the vehicles. I'd hate to put it out there and my Corvette stays in garage on battery tender. I wonder if that's enough salt to ruin car over time. Then again the tank isnt really open. Just has that vent.

Looking for people's input. Am I to worried? Lol

Unread 04/15/2019, 01:43 AM   #4
laverda
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegray View Post
What about the norwesco tank full of salt water. Mixing it for 24 hours in garage with car in there and using. Or going the route of always having some saltwater in there in case its needed. I know the top is self vented. Do you think that little tank like 40 gallon will have I'll effects on the vehicles. I'd hate to put it out there and my Corvette stays in garage on battery tender. I wonder if that's enough salt to ruin car over time. Then again the tank isnt really open. Just has that vent.

Looking for people's input. Am I to worried? Lol
I don’t think the container of water itself will be a problem. You could always run a hose from the vent outside just to be sure. Filling containers and spills will be a bigger issue. We all know they happen.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2019, 10:05 AM   #5
reelredfish
Registered Member

I mix up 55 gallons at a time in my garage. So pretty much always have saltwater on hand since I do auto water change. While I don’t keep cars in mine I do have a bunch of tools and I can say since 2014 to today I have nothing rusting. I think the door is open often enough to also help with air exchange. On weekends are door is open most of the day.

reelredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2019, 07:52 PM   #6
Mikegray
Registered Member

I ordered norwesco 40 gallon tanks. For a salt mixing pump how much GPH do I need also anyone have a external pump that I can use for loop to mix the salt. Also on water change day. I need it to pump about 40 feet tops down the hall to my tank. Same level of the house just a distance. Was thinking of cor20 since my return pump will be cor20 so it would be a backup. but dont think it will cut it with 40 ft run.

Unread 04/16/2019, 10:18 PM   #7
Mikegray
Registered Member

For mixing the salt well and pumping the water through 3/4 hose maybe I'm good with pan world 50 or pan world 100? They seem to have lower flow but stronger to push further I don't like how they eat a lot of electricity but only plan on using it to mix water for 24 hours then pump to tank and then turn it off repeat bi weekly

Any thoughts or ideas for my station?

Unread 04/17/2019, 10:05 PM   #8
reelredfish
Registered Member

I have a pan world i think or one of the likes. The yellow one did not do a big one think its a 50 cause I only use it to mix or transfer RODI to salt tank. When I make a fresh batch I turn it on and let it run for about half the day then back to my auto setting in Apex which is 5 or 10 minutes every hour dont recall set it up so long ago.

reelredfish is offline   Reply With Quote