Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/15/2017, 07:39 PM   #1
Steelfn86
Registered Member

Newbie here

Hello all. New to the saltwater game. Have had freshwater tanks for years. I have a 40g all in one tank I have a 4” bed of live sand have 30-35 lbs of live rock. I went to my local fish store after having the tank cycling for about two months with no fish. The second month we added two shrimp 6 snails and about ten hermit crabs. After the second month water levels were perfect and had them rechecked by the local fish store. (Yes) time to add a couple fish. We added a frostbite clown and a dwarf bicolor angel along with an lta. Everything seems to be going well been one week nitrates are the only thing that are a little high they are 30ppm. Just did a water change. Was wondering is once a week enough right now or do I need to do a water change more often. Thanks

Steelfn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 07:52 PM   #2
Jwheld
Registered Member

How big are the water changes? Weekly is probably fine. Although 30ppm isn’t outrageous for a fish only system.

Jwheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 08:05 PM   #3
Steelfn86
Registered Member

Been doing 6 gal. Have a little green algae forming on some of the rock. Do you think I may need more snails or anything else.

Unread 11/15/2017, 08:06 PM   #4
Jwheld
Registered Member

If it’s a new tank wait it out... you’ll see varies algae stages throughout the first 6+ months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 11/15/2017, 08:07 PM   #5
Steelfn86
Registered Member

Yes the tank has only been up a couple months

Unread 11/15/2017, 08:26 PM   #6
Steelfn86
Registered Member

So when you say wait it out are u meaning not to get anymore snails or anything else

Unread 11/15/2017, 09:22 PM   #7
Jwheld
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelfn86 View Post
So when you say wait it out are u meaning not to get anymore snails or anything else

Sorry, I meant the algae is part of new tank syndrome. If you load up on snails, just know some may perish when the tank stabilizes. I have 3 snails and 5 hermits in my 40 gallon, And that seems plenty in my situation, even from day one.

Unread 11/16/2017, 07:49 AM   #8
tjm9331
Registered Member

all new tanks go through the ugly stages, you're going to have diatoms then green algae/hair algae then maybe even cyano.

The trick is to be patient and let it pass but if you get hair algae or cyano you want to do your best to keep it under control by manual removal until your tank gets past it.

I wouldn't add any more clean up right now, let your tank settle and see how your current crew keeps up

tjm9331 is offline   Reply With Quote