Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/19/2014, 08:22 PM   #1
cichlid9
Registered Member

starting over

Hi guys, I'm the guy with the aptasia infested 20 gallon. Soooooooooo let me start. These were my plans today. I was going to place the corals that survived and my two clowns in a ten gallon tank with the old water. Then I was going to take out the live rock (dry it) and get rid of the sand. While all of my equipment and the tank were drying out to kill any aptasia hiding out I was going to sand the stand and repaint it. Tomorrow i was going to mix up the water in the cleaned tank and add some of the caribsea live sand. Once the clouds disappeared I was going to return the fish and corals back to the 20 gallon. During the week I was going to get some established live rock from a friends sump. The reason I didn't go through with the plans is that I got scared that my tank would have to cycle. But wouldn't the established live rock prevent it? Any ideas would be appreciated.

cichlid9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2014, 09:58 PM   #2
Jet Black
I finally found this!

You may get a mini cycle but usually if you have established rock you wouldn't need to cycle a new tank. A lot of the aquarium stores will set up tanks and have livestock in them the same day.

Waiting a few days and being careful shouldn't hurt but usually it's not necessary. Good luck!

Unread 07/19/2014, 11:56 PM   #3
Saltwaternooby
SPS junkie

Plus one, I bet you will still get a small cycle but nothing big. Good luck

24g cube for ORA Picasso
Saltwaternooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2014, 01:10 AM   #4
gREEF stricken
Registered Member

Agree...mini cycle but not a huge deal...water changes.

GS

gREEF stricken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2014, 01:36 AM   #5
cichlid9
Registered Member

thanks for the advice everyone. I figured I would be good but then my girlfriend said, "you better not kill your fish". lol. She put that doubt in my mind.

cichlid9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2014, 07:45 PM   #6
Borchers
Reefer Who needs Help!!!

The other half can do that to us!

"You only get one spark of insanity, never lose it"
Robin Williams you will be missed.

Current Tank Info: 50 gallon Cadlights Artisan II Cube , EcoTech Radion Gen 4 Pro, Ecotech MP10QD, Vertex Omega 150i skimmer, EcoTech Reeflink, JBJ Autoe Top-off, Neptune Systems Apex and lots of other small goodies!
Borchers is offline   Reply With Quote