Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/20/2017, 08:26 PM   #176
biecacka
Registered Member

Mike, great looking tank! Some awesome looking frags too man. Did you beat the dins/cyano as well?
How do you like the DastAco reactor? it is on my wish list for sure!

corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 09:29 PM   #177
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike810 View Post
Here's my experience with the arid reactor. I started off with a golf ball size amount of chaeto. It grew a little bit to maybe a soft ball size in month. Since then, it hasn't really grown anymore. I tried several different photo periods from 8, 12 and 18 hours a day. Still, no more growth. I get some hair algae growing in the reactor also and it grows on the chaeto also.

Maintenance is not bad since I have it in a open location. I did move the dastaco and arid around a bit to make getting to the arid more convenient. I don't clean it often as I don't see much in the way of growth but when I do, I simply remove the led bar, remove the top and into a 5 gallon bucket. I rinse everything off when a hose and a final rinse with RODI. Rinse the chaeto and replace.

My tank has very low nutrients so I'm not sure if it's due to the arid or other means. I tested no3 and po4 today and results were no3=1 and po4=.02, tested with salifert and hanna ulr. I'm going to dose the provided nitrate solution to try and bring up nitrates a bit. I'm not really sure I even need the arid reactor on this system to be honest.

It's crazy because I have close to 50 or just a little over 50 fish, about 8 tangs, some fairly large. I feed the fish 2-3 times a day with 6-8 cubes of frozen each feeding. If I feed from a flat pack, I break off big chunks of food, I think this tank gets fed a lot but it still has low nutrients.
That’s a surprising bit of feedback. My guess is that your arid reactor is helping to keep your water Params in check. Plus when your tank is older and the sand isn’t so clean anymore, your reactor will save the day without much effort. Thanks for sharing the details.

ReefKeeper64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2017, 05:47 PM   #178
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

any updates on the tank?

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 10:47 PM   #179
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Happy New Year! Any updates of your build?

Unread 04/16/2018, 09:33 PM   #180
mike810
Registered Member

I haven't updated in awhile. There were a lot of uglies going on for several months with the tank. Dinos hit and pretty much smothered most of my corals. Hit the tank with DINO-X and it wiped out the dinos. Then came cyano and a couple weeks or dosing KZ zeozyme, coral snow and zeobak took care of the cyano. Then came the GHA and that took awhile to get rid of.

The arid reactor wasn't enough to keep nutrients down. Nutrients were climbing to no3 100ppm and po4 .31. So I added a Avast marine vibe reactor to run KZ zeolites to help bring down the nutrients some more. The zeolites were able to drop nutrients down to no3 25 and po4 .16 and it's been stuck there for a couple months now.

I just started dosing some redsea nopox at half the recommended dose to try and lower it some more. Some of the corals are doing well but others are suffering. Most likely due to the elevated nutrients.

Here's a huge picture dump. I had photoshop auto correct these pictures via the curve option. I don't know how to work photoshop so the majority of these pictures are true to life while some are a little off. Some of the blues and yellow is hard to capture.

mike810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 09:34 PM   #181
mike810
Registered Member

Unread 04/16/2018, 09:34 PM   #182
mike810
Registered Member

Unread 04/16/2018, 09:35 PM   #183
mike810
Registered Member

Unread 04/16/2018, 09:35 PM   #184
mike810
Registered Member

Unread 04/16/2018, 10:16 PM   #185
Dainese954
Registered Member

Wow it looks pretty good! Could we please get a FTS? Thank you

Dainese954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2018, 07:47 AM   #186
norfolkgarden
Registered Member

Beautiful wrasses!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

norfolkgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 04:26 PM   #187
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Glad to see things are looking up. That one yellow and blue wrasse is definitely $$xpert only. Not sure of the name but its a beauty!

Unread 04/24/2018, 06:10 PM   #188
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
Glad to see things are looking up. That one yellow and blue wrasse is definitely $$xpert only. Not sure of the name but its a beauty!
Is it listed as expert? It’s a feminus wrasse and it’s just like any other wrasse if you ask me, just more expensive. I had a much harder time trying to keep a blue star leopard and potters wrasse alive. Those two don’t ship very well and even picking one up locally doesn’t ensure survival. That said, I’ve been on the hunt for another potters for this tank.

I’m lucky this feminus made it. I purchased 6 wrasse total, a bells flasher wrasse, lennardi wrasse, chaoti wrasse, male rhomboid wrasse, Mauritius leopard wrasse and the feminus. 5 out of the 6 were DOA, only the feminus made it. It was a sad day to say the least.

Unread 04/24/2018, 07:18 PM   #189
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

Quote:
Is it listed as expert? It’s a feminus wrasse and it’s just like any other wrasse if you ask me, just more expensive. I had a much harder time trying to keep a blue star leopard and potters wrasse alive. Those two don’t ship very well and even picking one up locally doesn’t ensure survival. That said, I’ve been on the hunt for another potters for this tank.

I’m lucky this feminus made it. I purchased 6 wrasse total, a bells flasher wrasse, lennardi wrasse, chaoti wrasse, male rhomboid wrasse, Mauritius leopard wrasse and the feminus. 5 out of the 6 were DOA, only the feminus made it. It was a sad day to say the least.
Wow hope u get your refund back that an expensive fish lost.

ABC corals

Current Tank Info: 360g Peninsula sps
ycnibrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 10:12 PM   #190
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycnibrc View Post
Wow hope u get your refund back that an expensive fish lost.
Just waiting on the vendor to get the fish back in stock to ship again. Hopefully I’ll be able to get some ventralis anthias instead of the bells flasher wrasse

Unread 04/26/2018, 05:59 AM   #191
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:

Anampses feminus. It’s definitely considered an expert only fish. I double checked to be sure. ��

You may have received one that was already eating prepared foods. She may have spent a good while in a tank and had already become accustomed to eating prepared foods. That’s the main issue with these so called expert only fish.

I bought a total of 4 blue Star leopards and 2 ultimately made it. I have read that these expert only fish are easy to keep once they transition over to prepared foods.

The two that didn’t make it went into hiding in the DT soon after they were introduced. They just hid most of the time, didn’t eat, seemed intimidated by other fish, and parished. When I got the last two I put them in the refugium for two weeks until they started eating prepared foods. Seemed like a win because there would be plenty of live food and no other fish to intimidate them. Plus they could acclimate to the new water conditions. It worked. When I moved them to the DT, they didn’t hide much and jumped right in to get prepared foods at feeding time.

You can request oversized shipping containers and extra water on your next expert fish order if you like. That meaning, they can put your fish in a styrofoam box made for a much larger fish. It will contain much more water that way. Costs a little extra but is worth it I think for the more delicate fish.

Last edited by ReefKeeper64; 04/26/2018 at 06:09 AM.
ReefKeeper64 is offline   Reply With Quote