Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/17/2009, 09:08 PM   #26
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crvz
Some great work done so far, well done! I look forward to seeing this thing up and stocked.
Thanks crvz! I was checking out your thread the other day. Nice work yourself. Great job on that sump. I might try and do one myself but I'm much more hand when it comes to glue and screws. Don't know if acrylic is my thing. There's a good acrylic guy that all the LFS in the area use. I might go ahead and use him.

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2009, 09:17 PM   #27
gradth
Registered Member

Hey we got the same tank. Looking good, have to hang around and get some ideas.

Click on the redhouse for my 180 build.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon pennisula reef
gradth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2009, 09:20 PM   #28
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JDL
looks nice. now come over to my house and finish my in-wall setup.

what type of sump are you going to use, a normal tank or a rubbermaid stock tank?
Haha, if I lived close.... As detailed as your pictures show you'll have no problems cutting and framing that hole. My plan is to do an acrylic sump under the display. I'm leaning towards something like 60xs20x14. Water level will stay about 9" for the skimmer. It will be a two zone sump, just skimmer (drain) and return areas. I'm going to plumb a remote refugium tank on another stand to the right of the display in the sump room. It will be fed from the return pump and gravity drain back to the sump.

Once I get a little further on the stand I'll post some pics of the sump. Hopefully I'll get some creative feedback on it.

Unread 03/17/2009, 09:21 PM   #29
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gradth
Hey we got the same tank. Looking good, have to hang around and get some ideas.
Sweet! Do you have it set up yet? I think I'm the one that needs the ideas.

Unread 03/17/2009, 09:47 PM   #30
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

Had a few minutes today so I continued working on the legs. Still trying to ad-lib the bottom shelf because the floor is so out. I think I got it pretty level, what do you think....

Here's the adhesive I've been using. It's a polyurethane construction adhesive made by PL. Out of all the construction adhesives I've used for projects I can say this one is by far the best. It has a long open time so if you are slow like me it's nice to have. It's not quite as viscous as Liquid Nails so it flattens a lot better when clamped, and won't foam up like Gorilla Glue. It's waterproof and sticks to just about everything. Good stuff.

Last edited by Misled; 04/02/2018 at 04:56 PM.
Unread 03/17/2009, 09:53 PM   #31
drummereef
Team RC Member

Tomorrow I'll have the legs finished and start framing the bottom shelf. Planning on the shelf being the width of the room, left to right, and the depth of the stand front to back. That way I'll have plenty of space for the return pump on the right and some free space on the left. Still hashing that one out though...

And for those who think my shop isn't messy... here.

One more progress pic....

Last edited by Misled; 04/02/2018 at 04:57 PM.
Unread 03/18/2009, 05:14 AM   #32
crvz
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drummereef
Thanks crvz! I was checking out your thread the other day. Nice work yourself. Great job on that sump. I might try and do one myself but I'm much more hand when it comes to glue and screws. Don't know if acrylic is my thing. There's a good acrylic guy that all the LFS in the area use. I might go ahead and use him.
You'll never know until you try, right? I've only made a few sumps, but they've all worked out pretty well and it was a fun experience. Just takes a little effort. Good luck in any case, though. Maybe if you get a quote from your acrylic guy you'll be more motivated to DIY!

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
crvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2009, 11:48 AM   #33
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
You'll never know until you try, right? I've only made a few sumps, but they've all worked out pretty well and it was a fun experience. Just takes a little effort. Good luck in any case, though. Maybe if you get a quote from your acrylic guy you'll be more motivated to DIY!
I hear that, crvz. I might give it a try, we'll see. The size I want is just pretty big so material alone is going to be costly. The biggest thing that worries me is the glue joints. I have most, if not all, the tools I'd need but the getting those joints glued up scares me. You want to make it for me? J/K

Unread 03/18/2009, 12:11 PM   #34
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

Got the legs finished this morning and made a run to the orange box to get some plywood for the top. I went ahead and got 3/4" sanded ply. I plan on laminating the top, sides, and back edge of the plywood to make it a little more water resistant. I'll prime the bottom tonight and hopefully get it cut down to finished size in the next day or two. Got to take it over to Pop's house for that. He's got a nice table and fence on his saw.

Told you I'd be updating every step of the way...

This design called for two laminated 2x6's since I was spanning the 6' length with no center support. I bought 2x8's and ripped them down to roughly 6" then ran them through the jointer a few times to get them really flat. With my 6' level along the front and back side there's no gap the entire span. Turned out pretty nice. Used the PL Glue to laminate the 2x's together then screwed them tight. The tank will be sitting directly over the 2x on the inside of the two. The other 2x is just to carry the load. I did it this way simply because of where the drain/return holes are located on the tank.

Unread 03/18/2009, 07:47 PM   #35
crvz
Team RC Member

Quote:
I hear that, crvz. I might give it a try, we'll see. The size I want is just pretty big so material alone is going to be costly. The biggest thing that worries me is the glue joints. I have most, if not all, the tools I'd need but the getting those joints glued up scares me. You want to make it for me? J/K
No doubt, raw materials can be pretty steep. But, so can labor. good luck either way.

Unread 03/18/2009, 08:45 PM   #36
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
No doubt, raw materials can be pretty steep. But, so can labor. good luck either way.
I hear that. I'll let you know what I find out.

Unread 03/18/2009, 11:15 PM   #37
drummereef
Team RC Member

Starting to get ideas for my sump. It will be a 2-zone sump, drain/skimmer on the left and return on the right. Planning on a couple bulkheads in the top for the drains. Wondering if I need any baffles between the drain and skimmer? Trying to eliminate bubbles from the start... Thoughts???

Unread 03/19/2009, 06:42 AM   #38
crvz
Team RC Member

Quote:
Starting to get ideas for my sump. It will be a 2-zone sump, drain/skimmer on the left and return on the right. Planning on a couple bulkheads in the top for the drains. Wondering if I need any baffles between the drain and skimmer? Trying to eliminate bubbles from the start... Thoughts???

the skimmer will produce as many bubbles as the drain, so I wouldnt worry about trying to isolate the two. I don't and it's no issue.

Unread 03/19/2009, 10:33 AM   #39
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
the skimmer will produce as many bubbles as the drain, so I wouldnt worry about trying to isolate the two. I don't and it's no issue.
Gotcha, sounds reasonable. Do you think with the length of the sump being 60", or close to it, I won't have a bubble issue? Those baffles are also 2" apart. Better or worse than 1" baffles?

Unread 03/19/2009, 12:17 PM   #40
crvz
Team RC Member

I very much prefer 2" baffle spacing, and actually went a bit larger on the last sump I built. If you can get your hand between the sections, it makes maintenance so much more tolerable.

Regarding the 60", that will help with bubbles, but the real workhorse are the baffles. What is the front/back depth of the sump?

Unread 03/19/2009, 12:41 PM   #41
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
I very much prefer 2" baffle spacing, and actually went a bit larger on the last sump I built. If you can get your hand between the sections, it makes maintenance so much more tolerable.

Regarding the 60", that will help with bubbles, but the real workhorse are the baffles. What is the front/back depth of the sump?
Gotcha. I forgot to put that dim in the drawing. It's 60x20x14. Speaking to Melev right now and he's got some nice ideas about the return from the fuge. I'll try and incorporate some of his ideas on a new drawing but here's the current design again with updated dims.

Last edited by Misled; 04/02/2018 at 04:58 PM.
Unread 03/20/2009, 10:42 PM   #42
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

I was able to get the top of the stand cut and painted today, so went ahead and installed it. Turned out pretty good. I plan on laminating the top in a couple days. Here's a couple pics...

Painting the underside of the stand top.

Progress between posts.

From the family room.

Last edited by Misled; 04/02/2018 at 04:59 PM.
Unread 03/20/2009, 10:47 PM   #43
drummereef
Team RC Member

So I have a potential issue here... need some advice (again ). I set up the level to double check my work and am finding on the back side of the stand, a very small gap in the middle between the plywood and level. It's VERY small. As you can see from the pic it's about the thickness of a Home Depot receipt folded in half. I didn't glue it, just used screws so i could adjust if necessary.

Do you think this is going to be an issue with the tank? Remember, it's a Marineland glass tank with a rim. I'm just not sure how close the tolerance should be...

Last edited by Misled; 04/02/2018 at 04:59 PM.
Unread 03/21/2009, 05:22 AM   #44
ryan115
Registered Member

Are you going to have the tank sitting on a foam pad? If so this should make up for the slight gap.

ryan115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2009, 11:01 AM   #45
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ryan115
Are you going to have the tank sitting on a foam pad? If so this should make up for the slight gap.
No, it's going to set directly on the plywood. It's a Marineland 180g glass tank with top and bottom trim. The manufacturer doesn't recommend sitting their tanks on foam.

Unread 03/21/2009, 01:07 PM   #46
AJP
Registered Member

I don't see that being an issue. When you figure the weight of the tank full of water and rock I see it compressing the plywood where it needs to to even it out just perfect.

But I of course take no blame if you have 180 gallons of salt water on your floor.

AJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2009, 02:25 PM   #47
thejuggernaut
Registered Member

tear it down and start again..haha...j/k...you stand looks straighter than the ones that are made by the tank manufacturers. I think the thickness of two sheets of paper is a non issue..

thejuggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2009, 02:59 PM   #48
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AJP
But I of course take no blame if you have 180 gallons of salt water on your floor.
Thanks AJP. I appreciate your confidence.

Unread 03/21/2009, 03:00 PM   #49
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thejuggernaut
tear it down and start again..haha...j/k...you stand looks straighter than the ones that are made by the tank manufacturers. I think the thickness of two sheets of paper is a non issue..
I know, I know. I think it's just my OCD kicking in. Need things to be perfect right? I think I'm finished shimming. It's about as good as I can get it. Most important is that all four corners are level and planar.

Unread 03/21/2009, 04:00 PM   #50
AJP
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks AJP. I appreciate your confidence.
Have you ever seen how the sit on a factory stand? It is scary how poorly made they are. I have an oceanic stand for mine which is better made than some but still it is a little weak I think. I can imagine using a pressboard stand like the ones at wal-mart.

But I digress, the fact is I would be willing to bet that it is fine, like I said the weight of the tank should even things out.

And call me Adam if you like.

AJP is offline   Reply With Quote