Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/02/2008, 06:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

Is chaetomorpha the best algae for nutrient export?

I was wondering if there are any other algaes that are as good as chaetomorpha for nutrient export.

Chaeto seems to me like the best because it dosen't go sexual and also dosen't attach itself to LR.

121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2008, 07:45 PM   #2
EllieSuz
Premium Member

Yes, I believe it's the best. I know that soon after I introduced it in my sump the Cyano vanished. So, for all the reasons you mentioned, it's great.

Eileen

Current Tank Info: I'm out of the hobby, but used to have a60 gal. reef, refugium in sump, Internal Mag 9 return, SC 302 skimmer, two Maxi-Jet 1200's modded, four bulb T5 Lighting, Reefkeeper Lite Controller with three PC4's, Little Fishes GFO reactor.
EllieSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2008, 01:10 AM   #3
parkpark
Registered Member

yea!

Current Tank Info: 6 gallon
parkpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2008, 05:19 PM   #4
ScarabRa
Registered Member

I have used Caulerpa Prolifera (Blade Alge)

In a tray with heavy top current flow (meaning evenly across the top of the shallow water.

Cheto was not around in the trade then (over 14 years ago)

This stuff is good as it does not spore, it proliferates with "roots / shoots"

Im currently using cheto now, as i havent re stocked up on this one yet.

Caulerpa Prolifera seems to grow allot faster ni the correct conditions, so it would suggest it will export more nutrients (in theory)

In order to get the nutrients out though, you have to cull (remove) it from your system, sort of like mowing the lawn. When the trays full pull 50% of it out, and let it grow back in.

Feeding the plants to your fish will re introduce the nutrients stored in the plant blades back in to your system.

But its ok to feed them some of it, just dont store it for later. Just pull some out of the sump when u want to give your fish a special treat. tangs love this stuff.

ScarabRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2008, 08:19 PM   #5
yrema
Lounger

Caulerpa is a bit faster than chaetomorpha. But nothing beats microalgae in terms of nutrient export. Beats any macroalgae, hands down.

Marty, Amery and Seth :)

Current Tank Info: 100gal Low-tech, Low-cost Mixed Reef
yrema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2008, 09:55 PM   #6
johnmaloney
Registered Member.

established macro keeps micro from forming though so... caulerpas are the best at removal, but they come with risks so chaeto is more ideal in a way, because it presents a lower risk of going sexual and spreading out of control. so yes and no. If you are good at keeping caulerpa, it is the best, prolifera is a nice choice. If youare not good at keeping caulerpa then chaeto is the way to go.

johnmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2008, 03:35 PM   #7
rivoth
Registered Member

Ulva and Gracilaria are also good nutrient exporters that don't run the risk of going asexual like Caulerpa. But chaetomorpha seems to be the hardiest for most people.

rivoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2008, 07:12 AM   #8
mastou
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rivoth
Ulva and Gracilaria are also good nutrient exporters that don't run the risk of going asexual like Caulerpa. But chaetomorpha seems to be the hardiest for most people.
Gracilaria does not go asexual but can reproduce sexually. Whether it can spread from a refugium to the main aquarium by this way I don't know, but it might be possible (tjeck this thread):
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=890936

/Magnus

mastou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2008, 03:25 PM   #9
rivoth
Registered Member

The danger with Caulerpa going asexual is not that it will spread to the display. The shear volume of material released can cause serious water quality issues.

rivoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2008, 12:39 PM   #10
K' Family Reef
Registered Member

even though this is totally unrelated
(to macros/this forum atleast)... it is related to the subject of nutrient export...

XENIA
here is a link to an article by dr ron shimek discussing the benefits of various nutrient exporting methods (macros/skimming etc)... the conclusion was that XENIA actually was the BEST at nutrient export but (IN MASS) caulerpa won overall...
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

bottom line
xenia is something that can easily/successfully added to any lighted fuge (not so good in the main dt unless one doesnt mind it spreading all over) and adds significantly to the overall nutrient exporting potential as well... add to that trading/selling xenia (as it grows/pulls nutrients from the water column) then not only does it serve a USEFUL purpose but it also serves a MONETARY one as well!

besides xenia
we use chaeto w/ moderate success in our system... chaeto definitely appears to be one the 'safest' macro options... although many still prefer caulerpa - there still is risk involved in using it and have heard too many stories of it spreading into the main dt and becoming an 'invasive' pest - difficult if not impossible to eradicate!

regards

K' Family Reef is offline   Reply With Quote