Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/07/2007, 10:20 AM   #101
chrismhaase
Registered Member

Here is another new addition it is a sea cucumber. It is really pink. He really moves around the tank and is keeping my sand clean. Plus he is different looking than the normal brown ones. He gives a little more color interest into the tank.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

chrismhaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2007, 11:22 AM   #102
CMcNeil
Registered Member

do you have any idea how long the UPS will run the pump?

Unread 08/07/2007, 02:03 PM   #103
chrismhaase
Registered Member

No I dont, I am actually going to test it out. Just looking at the numbers, my Panworld 50PX-X (return pump only) uses 90 Watts per hour and the UPS is rated for 300 Watts of backup power. So without testing it I would assume that it will last for 3 hours and 20 minutes.

Unread 08/07/2007, 02:55 PM   #104
poknsnok
Registered Member

love and envy the sump room..

poknsnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2007, 08:10 AM   #105
chrismhaase
Registered Member

Thanks Poknsnok, it took a lot of BEGGING. It was finally made possible by my fiance's friend's mom suggested the very same idea and for some reason when one female told another it clicked. Weird.

The one good thing I had going was the lady is an interior decorator, and she was over giving MEgan some advice about drapes, wall color and so on. So she said "when you guys move all you have to do is take a little drywall and patch it up, it is really easy. I do it all the time." And those magic words granted my Rubbermaid sump. Which I went out about 2 hours after the approval.

So with all that being said, don't give up on fighting the good fight. I just always make sure that it looks really professional and not half a_ _. So at least you are not fighting the "it doesn't look good" comments.

Unread 08/08/2007, 08:39 AM   #106
chrismhaase
Registered Member

Update Guys: If you were subscribed to my old thread called "stand build for my 90" I had the name changed since this thread has become my build for my 90 now. So please take note and resubscribe if you haven't already. I am not sure if Reef Central automatically switched subscriptions. So do it just in case and as always input is always welcome.

Thanks, Chris

Unread 08/08/2007, 07:46 PM   #107
chrismhaase
Registered Member

GUys - I stopped in at FAIOS, and John is having a sale on Tunze powerheads. I picked up the 6000 model Tunze for $200, when they normally go for $259 plus shipping. So I bought 2 6000s, 1 7095, and 2 magnets. Good deal, can't wait to hook them up after I get home from work.

Thanks John.

Chris

Unread 08/10/2007, 12:50 PM   #108
chrismhaase
Registered Member

1 month update 8/10/07

Here are some more pictures and an update of what I have been doing. I finally have my fish tank area cleaned up and is not presentable if someone were to come over. All the screw drivers, Zip Ties, screws and so on are gone. So here is my current view under the Tank.

What I did: - add a 3 drawer plastic organizing bin to keep all my stuff.
- I Zip Tied all electrical wires
- Labeled everything.

And then I went to FAOIS just to pick up a few dollars worth of stuff and came home with 2 6100s, a 7095 controller, and 2 magnets. The powerheads were on sale, so I saved money on something I was going to do anyway. So here is my electrical setup I did. I incorporated all the Tunze electronics with the Aqua Controller Jr Stuff. I also added a power strip.

And here is my full tank shot. I have added a few frags here and there. I have also noticed a lot of purple coraline algae growing on the the rocks that didn't have any or were white when I got them. So that is good. I think that some of this can be attributed to my implementation of KALK in my top off. I am dripping using KALK in the 5 gallon KENT dripper.

And a side tank shot. This is from the right.

Thanks for looking. SPS frags welcome. Still looking for some cheato. I have a free 30 gallon glass tank. PM me about any of this.

Thanks,

Chris

Unread 08/10/2007, 01:27 PM   #109
markandkristen
Moved On

looks awesome your like me just waiting for the frags to grow...

markandkristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2007, 03:52 PM   #110
CMcNeil
Registered Member

i got some pod packed cheato for you.ill get over to your house when you get back in town.

Unread 08/10/2007, 03:59 PM   #111
lazaro torres
Moved On

looking awesome man, I got to get those too, thats a super deal.I was in there a couple days ago and picked up a couple of corals and saw the stock he had to get rid of and at those prices you gotta get it now before there gone.

lazaro torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2007, 05:24 PM   #112
chrismhaase
Registered Member

M&K- thats right, GROW BABY GROW!!

Chris- that sounds good, I will come over or if you want to come over that works for me.

Laz- go for it man. I always wanted them, and that was such a good deal I had to do it.

Unread 08/10/2007, 08:20 PM   #113
markandkristen
Moved On

yeah my frags are starting to encrust or whatever you call it when the bottom starts to branch out onto the place that you stick it too .....so im getting excited.

i see your running 14ks
im running 20ks but with a magnetic ballast so it seems more like 14ks i think they look great glad i went mhs. using vho for actinics it makes my green slimer look cool

Unread 08/10/2007, 09:10 PM   #114
chrismhaase
Registered Member

yeah that is one of the frags I am going to buy when I find it. It seems like a really good grower and is pretty cool looking to. When did you get yours? Since you are in Lakeland, do you go to Nolan's to get frags? They seem to have a small, but nice frag section, and some decent prices for acro frags.

Unread 08/10/2007, 09:41 PM   #115
markandkristen
Moved On

yes nolans has descent frags and not to bad of a selection. when i get a chance i want to get some frags from matt.

Unread 08/11/2007, 06:38 PM   #116
ReefArtist
Moved On

Chris excellent job! Very nice and clean looking, I don't think you'll be getting any complaints from your fiance. It's nice when you have a room to put everything, makes everything much easier. Now it's time you get to enjoy it.

ReefArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2007, 09:02 PM   #117
chrismhaase
Registered Member

I think she is happy so far. And yes it is time for me to have fun!!

Unread 08/22/2007, 07:45 PM   #118
chrismhaase
Registered Member

Alright here is an update;

- Tunzes - i love the water movement they create. I talked to Roger, the US Tunze rep and told him what I have and what I was trying to accomplish and was looking for recommendations of flow patterns. I followed his recommendations and have noticed a positive reaction in my SPS polyp extension. They look much better in both polyp extension and their color has improved.

- Lighting Cycle - I have increased this aspect.
- 11am VHOs on, 10:30 PM off
- 12PM MHs on, 9:30PM off
- Fuge light on a reverse cycle

- Water Chemistry *Salifert testing / Aqua Controller Jr.
- Temp @ 9PM = 78.7 degrees F
- PH = 8.11
- CA = 480
- KH = 9.6
- Alk = 3.43
- Salinity = 1.025
- Nitrates = not noticable

Any comments and or suggestions please.

-- Chris

Unread 08/22/2007, 07:47 PM   #119
mflamb
Registered Member

Test for Mg.

Click on my red house to see my 390 and 300 build thread. Those are my last 2 tanks in Tampa. Now in Pasadena waiting to buy a house to set up my next tank....anemones and clowns...probably a 3x3 150 gallon.
mflamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2007, 08:01 PM   #120
CMcNeil
Registered Member

where are the pics.............................................
sounds like those tunze are working nice for you.

Unread 08/22/2007, 08:03 PM   #121
chrismhaase
Registered Member

I know mike, I need to go buy a MG Salifert tester tomorrow. I will post pics in a few.

Unread 08/22/2007, 09:21 PM   #122
chrismhaase
Registered Member

Picture Updates - about 1 month Progress

Here are some pictures.

Full Tank Shot (MH lights on)

Right Side (MH lights on)

Here are some frags that I am trying to power grow... GROW BABY GROW.

Orange Cap - From Greg

Left to Right - Greenish Pocillopora, Ora Blue Stag, Ora green Scrips

Greenish Pocillopora

Pink Pocillopora - From Greg

Ora Scipps Stag - from Chris

Frog Spawn

Hydnophora

Unread 08/22/2007, 09:37 PM   #123
chrismhaase
Registered Member

Here is some Candy Cane Coral

Blue/Green Prostata - From Chris (it looks much better, but I couldnt figure out my camera at the time.

And here is my new fish, I always have wanted a Red Sea Purple Tang. And my fiance and I were driving back from shopping at Target and she said o look there is a fish store. It was Aquarium Star on Bloomingdale. And she sees the purple tang. It was in a small tank with a Niger Trigger and was a little nipped. The lady there said the tang was in the shop for almost 8 months. It is about the size of a tennis ball, sticker price $99, but it had a little lateral line. So I bargained the fish down to $45. I normally wouldn't do this, and I definitely bought it against my general rule of thumb, but Megan said "we have to save it." So I figured a good diet and it should be better. So I had it fed and she ate a lot. I have now had it in my tank since Saturday and it is eating like a pig. Seaweed, Lifeline, Formula 1 and 2 flakes, cyclopzees, brine shrimp, you name it. I also got some ZoeCon to help replace lipids and aid in the repair of the lateral line problem. So here is Lucy, (Megan named her)

Unread 08/23/2007, 06:30 AM   #124
Aqua Star
Registered Member

We had "Lucy" for so long, that we almost miss her now that she is out of the store!! I'm glad she went to a reef tank rather than a fish only tank, I have seen fish with a much worse case of lateral line recover and look great. BTW, we normally don't negotiate the price of our fish, but in this case I felt that it would be better to get the fish into an aquarium and out of our little cubicles. Also, for what I've heard from some wholesalers, Red Sea fish are going to become more difficult to get. Enjoy!!

David,
Aqua Star Aquarium Center

Aqua Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2007, 06:55 AM   #125
chrismhaase
Registered Member

David,

I want to thank you guys for letting me and Megan have the chance to save her. Megan really wanted her. I know you guys normally don't do this on a regular policy and thank you for it. Your wife was really nice. In regards to eating, she is a little pig. As I mentioned before, he will eat anything I put in the tank. I am also taking pictures and notes so I can post them as she progresses and I will make notes of what I have done. Hopefully we will have a successful recovery and my notes will help others. Thanks again.