Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/15/2018, 03:59 PM   #1
Michael_
Registered Member

Aquarium stand bowing…

Hey guys!

I just got my new 75g rimmed glass aquarium set up and it has been cycling for 3 days now. We recently built a stand for it out of a kitchen buffet server reinforced with many 2x4s. Before we set the aquarium on the stand, we put a yoga mat on the stand to make sure the weight was distributed evenly. Now, I'm noticing that the middle of the stand is bowed pretty badly. Should I be worrying about this? Will the glass crack eventually?

Michael_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 04:46 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Pictures are absolutely need here to have any sort of an accurate answer
Define "bowed pretty badly"? Is that 1/16" or 6" or 6ft?

Unread 01/15/2018, 04:56 PM   #3
Michael_
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Pictures are absolutely need here to have any sort of an accurate answer
Define "bowed pretty badly"? Is that 1/16" or 6" or 6ft?
I would say about a fourth inch... But there is a yoga mat underneath.

Unread 01/15/2018, 05:07 PM   #4
heathlindner25
Moved On

Drain and fix it asap

heathlindner25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 05:34 PM   #5
Michael_
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathlindner25 View Post
Drain and fix it asap
I can't shim or anything? Also, people are saying glass only needs supported at the corners…

Unread 01/15/2018, 05:36 PM   #6
hijinks
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_ View Post
I can't shim or anything? Also, people are saying glass only needs supported at the corners…
If its bowing them something is wrong and its only a matter of time before it collapses or the tank cracks

hijinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 05:43 PM   #7
Michael_
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hijinks View Post
If its bowing them something is wrong and its only a matter of time before it collapses or the tank cracks
The stands stability is something I should not be worried about. We put reinforcements all through it. The problem is that we left the 2" thick panel on the top from the original layout and that's what's bowed.

Unread 01/15/2018, 05:45 PM   #8
heathlindner25
Moved On

I/4" in 3 days.... I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight. Is it somewhere where if 7 5 gallons hit the floor it wouldn't matter?

heathlindner25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 05:58 PM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Pictures.......

Unread 01/15/2018, 06:04 PM   #10
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Yep, really impossible to offer much in the way of useful advice. BTW, as a general rule, normal furniture makes a really bad aquarium stand ...... even if you think you reinforced it.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 06:51 PM   #11
organism
code monkey

Quote:
The stands stability is something I should not be worried about. We put reinforcements all through it. The problem is that we left the 2" thick panel on the top from the original layout and that's what's bowed.
Your personal opinion that it isn't something you should be worried about has no bearing on the fact that you have 900 pounds of water and rock on a failing stand that homeowner's insurance won't cover.

I'm going to guess that the 2" thick panel is particleboard, and maybe you did something along the lines of reinforcing Ikea furniture?

Unread 01/15/2018, 07:08 PM   #12
Michael_
Registered Member

The warp is 1/8" my bad

Unread 01/15/2018, 07:15 PM   #13
Misled
RC Mod

Quote:
Pictures.......

Unread 01/15/2018, 07:37 PM   #14
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Should I be worrying about this?
Hell yes!

Get a proper stand, there enough weight to seriously hurt you if it fails

Let alone the tank failing

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 07:37 PM   #15
LQT
Registered Member

Yoga mats do nothing in terms of support for rimmed tanks. Rimmed tanks are supported by the plastic trim. The fact that you have bowing and a 1/8 - 1/4” gap means that the trim is not evenly supporting the weight of the water. So now you have uneven pressure points exerted on the glass. This will lead to either a split seam or a cracked panel. As stated before... drain the tank and properly address your stand issues.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 07:45 PM   #16
VoltzNSalt
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
Quote:
Pictures.......

VoltzNSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 08:09 PM   #17
SRQreef3r
Registered Member

You just set the tank up, go ahead and tackle the problem now rather than dealing with much worse problems later on

SRQreef3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 09:14 PM   #18
windlasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey guys!

I just got my new 75g rimmed glass aquarium set up and it has been cycling for 3 days now. We recently built a stand for it out of a kitchen buffet server reinforced with many 2x4s. Before we set the aquarium on the stand, we put a yoga mat on the stand to make sure the weight was distributed evenly. Now, I'm noticing that the middle of the stand is bowed pretty badly. Should I be worrying about this? Will the glass crack eventually?
You say that you reinforced it.
Are you a carpenter?
Do you completely understand how to connect wood so that it compresses together under pressure rather than separates?
Did you use glue, screws or nails? (Hint: Glue it and screw it) No nails.
If you weren't worried, you wouldn't have posted here. Get a real stand or get someone who knows how to properly build one.

windlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 10:32 PM   #19
Dyraxe
Registered Member

I see said the blind man who got out his hammer and saw. Please forgive me for being facetious. I just found this humorous.

In all seriousness you need to build another stand.

Dyraxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 10:43 PM   #20
HBtank
Premium Member

“Reinforcing” means more than a structure that simply won’t collapse.... when it comes to correctly supporting hundreds-thousands of pounds across glass, and not all tanks are the same.

You really don’t want to skimp on stands, when you get years down the road you have far less options than now, and the wear and tear will be accumulating.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 10:55 PM   #21
Joe0813
Registered Member

Waiting for the post saying he's leaving the hobby because kitchen furniture did not support the tank and came crashing down

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 01:50 AM   #22
thegrun
Registered Member

Easy Mates, he's asking for help here, no need to pile on. Yes, as posted above we really need pictures to offer up much more than drain the tank ASAP. You should be very concerned at this point.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 11:04 AM   #23
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Did they post pictures yet?
Ttiwwop

Unread 01/16/2018, 11:20 AM   #24
billdogg
Registered Member

Please post some pictures for us so we can help. I don't really care too much about the outside of the stand either. What we need to see is the "reinforcement" you did to it.

Are you anywhere close to Columbus? If needed, I can throw together a rock solid 2x stand in a afternoon. I'm sure there are plenty of others who can/would do the same.

You DO NOT want the tank to fail. They can fail catastrophically in situations like this, sending large pieces of plate glass sailing right along with the water they used to contain. If you or anyone is close by, very serious injury can occur. At that point, the 75g of water on the floor are nothing more than a passing thought - something that will have to be dealt with after the visit to the ER.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 11:21 AM   #25
Sk8r
RC Mod

Look at it this way. You're going to sleep a lot better if you bite the bullet now and get it fixed. Yes, it's work, but that's a lot of water, and salt water at that, which can ruin furniture and floor. It's not true that you only need support it at the corners. Over time, with warm water and stress, you could have a big mess, maybe half a year on, after you have a lot more work invested in it, to boot. Fix it now. Best fix I know is go down to Lowes or HD and get a short section of kitchen counter by the yard...take that counter section and put it atop the stand you've built, securing it middle as well as corners, be sure it's level, then put the tank back. You don't have to toss your water: get a couple of Brute Rubbermaid trash cans, the grey ones, and you can pump it out to that, then pump it back in after the fix. The kitchen countertop is salt-proof, warp proof, and easy to clean. Comes in black. And if the stand holds up under it, that surface will last.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, bowed, crack, glass, stand