Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/11/2018, 01:50 PM   #1
Dsekula
Registered Member

File clam aka flame scallop breeding

When I was 100% a noobie one of my first purchase based on lfs recommendation was a flame scallop (I stopped giving them business at this point)

Seeing as they filter feed and get preyed on I tossed this sucker in my overflow box hoping for the best. I do regularly add ocean magic photo so it does get fed.
At this point it's been in there about two years. Im cleaning the tank and noticed a smaller file clam next to the big clam
Did it have a baby? Is that possible? See attached photo for "proof?" I'm baffled at this since based on my research I've been waiting for it to die and hoping it didn't..
IMG_20180311_154148.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2018, 10:23 PM   #2
Dsekula
Registered Member

Common hasn't anyone kept these successfully? Anyone know how they reproduce? Am I going to start finding them all over my tank and in my rocks or something?

Unread 03/20/2018, 06:43 PM   #3
Softhammer
Registered Member

That looks like something else altogether. Baby scallops look 100% identical to adults, coloration of the shell and all. My guess would be a boring clam of sorts, I see identical ones hanging out of my live rock. Plus I think you’d need two scallops to make babies at a minimum.

Unread 03/20/2018, 07:16 PM   #4
Dsekula
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softhammer View Post
That looks like something else altogether. Baby scallops look 100% identical to adults, coloration of the shell and all. My guess would be a boring clam of sorts, I see identical ones hanging out of my live rock. Plus I think you’d need two scallops to make babies at a minimum.
Thanks for the reply!!
The little one has wiskers sticking out like the big one I know it's hard to tell in the pic.. I put on light and they close or take a dark pic . Would/could a boring clam jump up I'm to my overflow box? The whole thing has me puzzled. Do you need two file clams to reproduce or are they a sexual?

Unread 03/23/2018, 10:13 AM   #5
Dsekula
Registered Member

Just found #3 !?!? See the little guy in the middle... Comments anyone please? KIMG0539_2.jpg

Unread 04/13/2018, 12:35 PM   #6
Fylerb
Registered Member

Any update on if they are?

Fylerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2018, 10:39 PM   #7
Dsekula
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fylerb View Post
Any update on if they are?
No clue, still have all three living in the over flow. They seem happy? Eating and growing at least. The part that makes me question the smaller ones showing up in the overflow box. I haven't brought in any live rock. Started the tank "dead" and brought in a very small piece of rock to seed. I used a softballish size piece from a friend that I'm 99% sure didn't have pests etc. Now don't get me wrong I know things come in on coral etc occasionally. it seems odd for this animal to have dislocated from where ever and swim up into the overflow and even more odd for two? But anythings possible right?

Unread 05/12/2018, 05:48 AM   #8
Cybister
Registered Member

It looks like some sort of mussel to me

Cybister is offline   Reply With Quote