Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/21/2018, 09:35 AM   #1
Shark888
Registered Member

Yellow tang red mouth

Hello,

I got a Yellow Tang 10 days ago, since today it seems his mouth changed color to red (or dark brown), Im not very sure, is this bad or not ?

Im treating the Tang with cupramine in my QT tank, as it seems to have also black and white ich and maybe flukes also...

Shark888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 09:36 AM   #2
Shark888
Registered Member

picture

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180521_232348A.jpg (29.7 KB, 36 views)
Unread 05/22/2018, 02:53 AM   #3
Shark888
Registered Member

The Tang is breathing heavily, please help, his mouth is still red.

I have already do a 80% water change.

Unread 05/23/2018, 01:43 AM   #4
Shark888
Registered Member

Just for info, after the 80% water change, I tested the nitrites and it was very high, wow crazy.

I did a 100% water change, cleaned the whole QT tank and the Tang seems much more better, today it do not have the red mouth.

Unread 05/23/2018, 05:03 AM   #5
Louis Z
Registered Member

You may want to in a seperate small container fill 3 or 4 media bags with porous substrate and inoculate with a maufactured bacteria culture such as fritzyme, biospira, or dr Tim’s branded bio cultures . I let them soak in the solution overnight at least so that the cultures permeate the substrate . I toss a bag in with every tank change or new treatment change . This so that you don’t have a nitrogen spike . You are not alone for that has happened to me . Can you do a FW dip to see if you can knock off the skin or gill flukes. I would also consider doing the TTM method if you are familiar with it. In addition to your current copper treatment . Doing a complete change of tank eliminates the high nitrogen waste buildup . With the TTM every 3 days the N toxicity can be minimalized . Is the tang eating?

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 11:15 AM   #6
scooter31707
Registered Member

if nirites are high that means you got some ammonia going on. I bet the redness and breathing heavy is coming from ammonia. I try and dose some Prime and continue daily water changes

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 12:01 PM   #7
Shark888
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Z View Post
You may want to in a seperate small container fill 3 or 4 media bags with porous substrate and inoculate with a maufactured bacteria culture such as fritzyme, biospira, or dr Tim’s branded bio cultures . I let them soak in the solution overnight at least so that the cultures permeate the substrate . I toss a bag in with every tank change or new treatment change . This so that you don’t have a nitrogen spike . You are not alone for that has happened to me
Im using small sponge that stayed weeks in my sump display tank and adding new bacteria every other day. They should be plenty of bacterias inside, I do not have ammonia (Seachem badge and salifert test) only nitrites are going high, the sponge should be same as your solution with substrate. Maybe Cupramine is killing all bacterias, I see only this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Z View Post
Can you do a FW dip to see if you can knock off the skin or gill flukes. I would also consider doing the TTM method if you are familiar with it. In addition to your current copper treatment . Doing a complete change of tank eliminates the high nitrogen waste buildup . With the TTM every 3 days the N toxicity can be minimalized . Is the tang eating?
Yes I did a 5mn FW dip during the 100% water change and there was plenty or "things" left in water. Today the Tang is looking much more better, not scratching anymore but not eating yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter31707 View Post
if nirites are high that means you got some ammonia going on. I bet the redness and breathing heavy is coming from ammonia. I try and dose some Prime and continue daily water changes
Im doing Cupramine treatment, I will continue daily water changes for the moment

Unread 05/23/2018, 03:23 PM   #8
Louis Z
Registered Member

You are in a tough spot . How long has the tang not been eating and how is body fat/ fullness look . Don’t know how else to describe it . But if hollowed belly and not eating = not good . Is the tang swimming or hiding in the tank ? Does he look confident or skittish ? The reason I ask is I have had tangs go down this road before . If they are skittish and hiding they won’t want to eat . I have had to darken the sides to my 40 gall breeder and put in rock work and substrate to help calm them down . I know that is not what a hospital tank looks like but when tangs don’t eat and they don’t have much reserves then they may perish suddenly . Especially difficult with all the usual commotion of HT: dipping , moving and treating . Copper can also be an appetite suppressant . Keep us posted

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote