Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/21/2018, 06:51 PM   #1
Mryin
Registered Member

Sick tang need sickness identity

Hey everyone. Have a sick tang and am not sure what it is. I’m converting over from freshwater discus and am very new to saltwater fish. This powder blue is doing a lot of hiding and isn’t eating. Been doing it for 2days now. I noticed today this discoloring on its left side face and cheek. Of course my first thought is that there is a problem. Can anyone help ID this disease/sickness and recommend treatment? The only meds I have on hand is Furan 2. Worked miracles on discus.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg C7385B1C-EFC0-4600-8C50-753B13414E62.jpg (26.3 KB, 51 views)
Mryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 06:52 PM   #2
Mryin
Registered Member

The picture turned out horrible. I’ll try to get a better one. It’s really hard, that PBT doesn’t wanna come out from the rock work

Unread 02/21/2018, 07:03 PM   #3
Mryin
Registered Member

This one is a little better

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2C6AB1CE-00B5-4F91-B79F-D4B350D9855A.jpg (66.6 KB, 64 views)
Unread 02/21/2018, 07:51 PM   #4
flfireman1
Wrasse aficionado

Need more info. New fish or old? Any other fish in the Aquarium? Was he eating and normal before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flfireman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 08:09 PM   #5
OhsCC
Registered Member

Agree. We need more tank and age info.

You should have seaweed select attached to a rock at least 2 to 3 times a week for all tangs.

OhsCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 08:12 PM   #6
Mryin
Registered Member

It is a new addition. Been a week in the DT. It’s the only fish in the DT. Tank has been running a year now no problems. Had a miniatus grouper but removed it for the tang. Few inverts, feather duster, and corals. Was eating like a hog. Started acting funny yesterday. Pecked at some food today but still in hiding. Did notice a little bit of scratching first day but none sense. Today I noticed a slight discoloration as seen in the photo and started to worry a bit.

Unread 02/21/2018, 08:17 PM   #7
Mryin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhsCC View Post
Agree. We need more tank and age info.

You should have seaweed select attached to a rock at least 2 to 3 times a week for all tangs.
The PBT was eating prime reef flake. I didn’t have any nori so I ordered a clip and nori and received it today. PBT did try the nori tonight but spit it out. Really didn’t eat it well. I turned the lights on the DT off and left the nori in there maybe the PBT will eat tonight.

Unread 02/21/2018, 08:19 PM   #8
OhsCC
Registered Member

What was it eating? Have you ever had a tang?

Unread 02/21/2018, 08:23 PM   #9
Mryin
Registered Member

Quote:
What was it eating? Have you ever had a tang?
No I’ve never had a tang. This is my first saltwater tank. I’m a freshwater discus guy but have always wanted to give salt a try. Yes, the PBT was eating prime reef flake last week.

Unread 02/21/2018, 08:25 PM   #10
OhsCC
Registered Member

Spend the extra money and get seaweed select. It has garlic (highly debated) but I believe in it. Helps with appitite ank keep immune system up. Prime reef is good.

Seaweed is so important for tangs. My yellow tang is 20 years old and cream Angel 23 yrs old. I think this seaweed helps verse other variations. Green is better liked.

Unread 02/21/2018, 08:27 PM   #11
Mryin
Registered Member

Quote:
Spend the extra money and get seaweed select. It has garlic (highly debated) but I believe in it. Helps with appitite ank keep immune system up. Prime reef is good.

Seaweed is so important for tangs. My yellow tang is 20 years old and cream Angel 23 yrs old. I think this seaweed helps verse other variations. Green is better liked.
I will order it now. So whatcha thinking? Am I making a big deal of nothing?

Unread 02/21/2018, 08:36 PM   #12
OhsCC
Registered Member

Powder blues are not the easiest of tangs. I am thinking the color loss is due to bad nutrition. I feed my fish prime reef, but my tangs stomach gets pinched in if you don't feed it seaweed. Tangs are constantly grazing.

Hard to tell right now on the fish status. Keep us posted.

Unread 02/21/2018, 09:21 PM   #13
Mryin
Registered Member

I did want to note that I did NOT quarantine the PBT before adding to the DT. I don’t know if this matters on diagnosis. I ordered from Liveaquaria. During drip acclimation “he” looked great and healthily so I dunked him.

Unread 02/22/2018, 07:38 AM   #14
OhsCC
Registered Member

This thread should help you. Read the 2nd and 3rd post in the link, sounds similar.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ht=powder+blue

Unread 02/22/2018, 08:06 AM   #15
Mryin
Registered Member

Quote:
This thread should help you. Read the 2nd and 3rd post in the link, sounds similar.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ht=powder+blue
Thank you for that. I’ll check it out and keep ya posted

Unread 02/22/2018, 08:21 AM   #16
OhsCC
Registered Member

Just do a search on powder blues. There is a lot of stuff out there. Research, Research, Research and seeing the warning signs early is key. Once a fish stops eating it is normally the end.

http://www.animaldiscoveryonline.com/powder-blue-tang/

Unread 02/22/2018, 04:29 PM   #17
jmicky41
Registered Member

To me it looks like the fish scraped it's face on the rocks. Usually this will clear up quickly.

Current Tank Info: 125 fowlr: 280watts VHO, 75LBS of mixed rock, Deltec AP600 skimmer, wet dry, GRi 518 return pump, 15 watt Aqua UV,(2) tunze 6000 on a 7095, goldflake angel(RIP), flame angel(8 years old), mitratus butterfly, yellow tang, majestic rabbitfsih
jmicky41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 07:00 PM   #18
Mryin
Registered Member

Well OhsCC I took your advice and dug in a little after work this afternoon and noticed some things I needed to do.

First is temp and salinity. My tank is 74 so I bumped the heater to 78. My salinity sits around 1.023-1.025 depending. I mix at 1.025. just tested the tank and it’s at 1.023. I read a few things on salinity and the recommendations were 1.027. Don’t know. Opinions?

Also read to skin wet. I usually skim dry but I’ll try a little wetter skim.

And an update on the PBT.... haven’t seen “him” at all this afternoon. Didnt come out to great me like he did a week ago. Didn’t even come out to take a look. With a flash light I can see his tailing moving around in his little pocket in the rock work but other than that...nothing.

Unread 02/22/2018, 07:01 PM   #19
Mryin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmicky41 View Post
To me it looks like the fish scraped it's face on the rocks. Usually this will clear up quickly.
That’s exactly what I thought at first but his hiding and not eating is making me question

Unread 02/22/2018, 08:13 PM   #20
OhsCC
Registered Member

Most refers keep the salt at 1.024 to 1.026. The salt and temperature are not the problem.

Fish can go much lower, but do not like fluctuations. LA keeps theirs at 1.018 to keep more disease out.
Keep them constant.

At this point not coming out and not eating is not promising.

Unread 02/22/2018, 09:00 PM   #21
Mryin
Registered Member

Quote:
Most refers keep the salt at 1.024 to 1.026. The salt and temperature are not the problem.

Fish can go much lower, but do not like fluctuations. LA keeps theirs at 1.018 to keep more disease out.
Keep them constant.

At this point not coming out and not eating is not promising.
I did notice when the PBT arrived, I tested the salinity in the bag water and it was 1.019. You are correct.

I’ll just wait it out I guess. I wish I knew what it is causing this though. All my ammonia and nitrates are 0 out. PH is a little low. Around 7.8-8.0. I’m totally lost on this one.

Unread 02/23/2018, 12:22 AM   #22
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I am suspect of a wait it out and see approach.

Unfortunately in this hobby that often results in the loss of a fish.

I think you need to do a freshwater dip on this fish and check for flukes. Once a fish stops eating after it was eating it is a bad sign. Many problems occur a week or more after you acquire the fish. If you ordered from live aquaria they ship direct from a wholesaler unless you go through divers den. Then you're often only 2 to 3 weeks removed from the wholesaler.

You really need to QT in copper, chloroquine phosphate, or tank transfer method. Then treat with prazi for flukes. We deal with so many pests and diseases it is ridiculous.

Try to use a black or dark colored bucket. Use RODI, temp adjusted to your tank, PH adjusted to your tank with baking soda. Aerate the water. Dip the fish for 3 to 5 minutes. Look for white spots that look like rice grains after the dip.

If nothing shows you may want to start treatment with copper or chloroquine in a QT tank.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 01:43 PM   #23
lagatbezan
Registered Member

I agree with above.they are usually really active and if your is hiding thats not a good sign.
Couple of questions:
1.what are you water parameters? ammonia zero?
2.what type of water circulation you have in the tank? good oxygen exchange? tangs need a water rich in oxygen.
3. how did you acclimate the fish?
I would do a 5 min fw dip and confirm you are not dealing with flukes:

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 06:05 PM   #24
Mryin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagatbezan View Post
I agree with above.they are usually really active and if your is hiding thats not a good sign.
Couple of questions:
1.what are you water parameters? ammonia zero?
2.what type of water circulation you have in the tank? good oxygen exchange? tangs need a water rich in oxygen.
3. how did you acclimate the fish?
1. Ammonia and nitrates are zero
2. 2X Current USA wave pumps (lots of flow), they are pointed so that they do turn the surface water. Not sure if this answers your oxygen exchange question.
3. Drip acclimate. PBT was doing great the first 3-4 days. 3 days ago he began hiding

Unread 02/23/2018, 06:14 PM   #25
Mryin
Registered Member

This morning I woke up and checked the tank. The PBT was out of the rock work laying on its side. Not good at all. Very heavy breathing. Gave me a chance to net him. I put him in a freshwater dip and then in a qt with prazi but it was way to late. He died late this afternoon. The PBT did have flukes. At least I suspect. There was some weird tiny little white tadpole looking things in the freshwater.

So....now my question. How the heck did flukes kill him so fast? I guess I’m not used to that. Discus would show signs for days. At least gave my some time to react. Then again may not have been, maybe something I did. I just don’t know.

Does anyone run prazi and something like furan2 during the QT for new arrivals? I used to do both with new discus arrivals.