Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/30/2015, 03:37 PM   #2401
karimwassef
Registered Member

Yes. Doesn't do anything

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2015, 03:39 PM   #2402
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Yes. Doesn't do anything
What about raising pH for a few days to around 8.4 - 8.6?

I have been looking up ways to do this, but can not figure it out. I do not have auto top off, so it wouldn't be possible to use kalk.

Any ideas on what I can do to raise pH? My cal is 460 and Alk is 10 so I don't want to do anything to raise those either.

Billybatz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2015, 03:51 PM   #2403
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybatz9 View Post
What about raising pH for a few days to around 8.4 - 8.6?

I have been looking up ways to do this, but can not figure it out. I do not have auto top off, so it wouldn't be possible to use kalk.

Any ideas on what I can do to raise pH? My cal is 460 and Alk is 10 so I don't want to do anything to raise those either.
You could still use a little kalk mixed up and dripped in very slowly. People have done for that a long time or a supplemental dosage. Get a jug, mix it up, insert an airline tube(off the bottom), and start a siphon. Then tie off the airline tub siphon so it very slowly drips. Alk may go up slightly but the pH will increase even more especially if combined with the CO2 scrubber mentioned in that other thread.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2015, 04:15 PM   #2404
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
You could still use a little kalk mixed up and dripped in very slowly. People have done for that a long time or a supplemental dosage. Get a jug, mix it up, insert an airline tube(off the bottom), and start a siphon. Then tie off the airline tub siphon so it very slowly drips. Alk may go up slightly but the pH will increase even more especially if combined with the CO2 scrubber mentioned in that other thread.
I guess it's worth a shot. Never dealt with kalk, so I hope I don't kill anything

Unread 12/30/2015, 05:29 PM   #2405
karimwassef
Registered Member

I've kept it at 8.6 for a couple of weeks and kept Mag at 1600. If you use kalk to keep the pH up, you have to keep your salinity and Mg high or your calcium will precipitate.

Did nothing...

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 12/30/2015, 05:31 PM   #2406
karimwassef
Registered Member

After almost 18 months, I come back to the same basic concepts... Competition and predation.

Every single reef tank has some population of dinos. They're natural. The epidemic occurs because something ELSE is missing. So the dinos occupy the most biological range they can.

Unread 12/30/2015, 05:35 PM   #2407
karimwassef
Registered Member

What's missing? Bacteria, biofauna, good dinos, pods, benthic plankton, algae, macroalgae...

Maybe combination of these. In the end, the dino explosion is the result of an immature and uncultured system that is being fed with light or nutrients.

So, it's not about making the environment hostile for dinos. They are likely the most resilient pests in the ocean. It's about making it more favorable for other life and making sure that life has properly seeded the system.

Unread 12/30/2015, 05:43 PM   #2408
karimwassef
Registered Member

There are plenty of things we haven't tried yet. For example, how about a water transfusion?

Yes- like a blood transfusion. Take dirty water from a well established system and use it instead of fresh makeup water. The more established and healthy the donor system, the better.

Or a sand transfusion.

I still like the lightem and trashem dino trap idea. Run 100% dark, except for one contained area that is brightly lit with a mesh for them to grab on to. The return into darkness can be driven through a fine mesh and a UV. Run the dark/light setup until the mesh is thick with them. Then break off the flow (go around the container) and throw away the container, mesh and water.

Maybe that's the precursor to the water transfusion.

Unread 12/30/2015, 08:27 PM   #2409
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
What's missing? Bacteria, biofauna, good dinos, pods, benthic plankton, algae, macroalgae...

Maybe combination of these. In the end, the dino explosion is the result of an immature and uncultured system that is being fed with light or nutrients.

So, it's not about making the environment hostile for dinos. They are likely the most resilient pests in the ocean. It's about making it more favorable for other life and making sure that life has properly seeded the system.
What would you suggest to buy to properly seed tank with micro fauna and algae?

Unread 12/30/2015, 08:35 PM   #2410
Fish Keeper82
Registered Member

Quote:
What would you suggest to buy to properly seed tank with micro fauna and algae?
I'd be affaid of what else i was letting into my tank. Be my luck and I would get ICH or something of the sort.

Fish Keeper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2015, 08:44 PM   #2411
Dans85
Registered Member

Quote:
There are plenty of things we haven't tried yet. For example, how about a water transfusion?

Yes- like a blood transfusion. Take dirty water from a well established system and use it instead of fresh makeup water. The more established and healthy the donor system, the better.

Or a sand transfusion.

I still like the lightem and trashem dino trap idea. Run 100% dark, except for one contained area that is brightly lit with a mesh for them to grab on to. The return into darkness can be driven through a fine mesh and a UV. Run the dark/light setup until the mesh is thick with them. Then break off the flow (go around the container) and throw away the container, mesh and water.

Maybe that's the precursor to the water transfusion.
You might be on to something here. I have had success moving dinoflagellates into my fuge by leaving the fuge light on a 24 hrs photo period and reducing the photo period and intensity in the display. As far as using water from another established system, I have read that dinoflagellates seem to melt away in some cases if they are added to a healthy system. I'd be interested in seeing results if someone tries it out.

Dans85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2015, 08:56 PM   #2412
karimwassef
Registered Member

Ich usually comes on infected animals, not in water.

Dinos are the last stage infection IMO. Just about anything else waterborne is more tolerable if you plan on keeping SPS.

I guess that just as with blood transfusions, you'd need to make sure your supply is healthy. But when I was ready to tear down the tank, this would have been acceptable risk. Like life-saving surgery... 10% chance of survival is better than 0%.

Unread 12/30/2015, 09:02 PM   #2413
Fish Keeper82
Registered Member

Quote:
Ich usually comes on infected animals, not in water.

Dinos are the last stage infection IMO. Just about anything else waterborne is more tolerable if you plan on keeping SPS.

I guess that just as with blood transfusions, you'd need to make sure your supply is healthy. But when I was ready to tear down the tank, this would have been acceptable risk. Like life-saving surgery... 10% chance of survival is better than 0%.
There is a free swimming stage of the ICH cycle.....
Usually comes in on fish but once its in .... its in. There was talk about transfusion of sand as well where ICH can incubate for a long time.

Unread 12/30/2015, 09:04 PM   #2414
Dfee
Registered Member

Id take every fish in my take infected with ich over Dino's any day

Dfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2015, 09:08 PM   #2415
Fish Keeper82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfee View Post
Id take every fish in my take infected with ich over Dino's any day
Maybe for you... but my dinos case is no where near considering a trade for ICH

Unread 12/30/2015, 09:10 PM   #2416
Dfee
Registered Member

Quote:

I really think I had a major problem with feeding and that's what brought Dino's. Like half a cube of mysis every 3-4 days. (75 gal)

I feed a whole cube everyday now plus seaweed. Added a fuge with cheato. Added pods and phyto. Now I only see them when I do a water change that will last in a slight dusting for about a week. So they aren't gone yet, got my nitrates up to 40

So how do I keep my tank from getting too dirty because apparently I can never do a water change again? Ive looked into carbon dosing but have mixed feelings about it.

Dfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2015, 09:11 PM   #2417
Fish Keeper82
Registered Member

It might be how i promoted Dinos in the first place by using all dry rock with intent to keep ICH out. I added no live rock what so ever other than what came in on coral frags that make it past coral dip and H2O2.
I have limited diversity

Unread 12/30/2015, 10:18 PM   #2418
seamonster124
Registered Member

Dinoflagellates.

How many with Dino's started with dry rock?

Last edited by seamonster124; 12/30/2015 at 10:44 PM.
seamonster124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2015, 10:40 PM   #2419
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonster124 View Post
How many of with Dino's started with dry rock?
I have pukani dry rock.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2015, 10:46 PM   #2420
seamonster124
Registered Member

I have not been able to read through all 100+ pages, is there a connection between dry rock and Dino's?

Unread 12/30/2015, 10:59 PM   #2421
karimwassef
Registered Member

Yes. I had dry rock too.

It's a key ingredient IMO.

Unread 12/30/2015, 11:00 PM   #2422
Fish Keeper82
Registered Member

Not that i can remember but i just mentioned it because of the previous post about water transfusion suggestion low biodiversity.
I agree its likely a contributing factor.

Unread 12/30/2015, 11:09 PM   #2423
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Does anyone know if bacteria fuels dinos? Thinking about dosing a few strains of bacteria to help water quality. What do you guys think?

Unread 12/30/2015, 11:11 PM   #2424
Fish Keeper82
Registered Member

Only real connection I can remember is pristine water low phosphate and nitrate levels.
Several reported: when green algae stops growing on glass Dinos rises. That happened in my case i have not had algae growing on my glass now for about 2 months. Only a bit of Dinos on glass thats sticking to cerith snail eggs and such.

Unread 12/30/2015, 11:15 PM   #2425
Fish Keeper82
Registered Member

Quote:
Does anyone know if bacteria fuels dinos? Thinking about dosing a few strains of bacteria to help water quality. What do you guys think?
I've wondered that myself. My Dinos did not get out of balance till i used red slime remover to get rid of Cyano bacteria.