Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/05/2009, 08:35 PM   #1376
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post
Hayley,

To Reef Central

Seems like your off to a good start, to answer a few questions and to offer some advice, I may have missed it but I didn't see what your goals are with the tank. is it going to be for fish or are you wanting to get some corals in there tank? living in Australia I would assume you’re going to have corals. As far as water movement you're off to a good start put you're going to want more flow from power heads. calculate your GPH (gallons per hour) and you're going to want to have at least 20-30X the tank volume in GPH. so with a 10 gallon tank you want 200-300 GPH.

Same with the rock 5kgs are not going to be enough (but I get it that stuff is expensive) get it when you can afford it.

Lighting is going to be determined by what's in the tank. if you have fish only, then any type of light will work, it usually comes down to the owners preference. but if your adding corals they are going to require good light for growth you’re going to want t-5's, VHO's or metal halides. etc

They make chillers for just about any application.

a great place to get more answers is here good luck with your build.
sister--and interesting post on ich from Krowleey
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...1750852&page=3
Love to hear your comments on the post

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2009, 10:25 PM   #1377
MOB1224
Registered Member

New

Hello my name is Ron I am fairly new 2 the hobby I had a 55 gal fish only tank for a couple years but ended up having 2 get rid of it when I moved. I am currently wanting 2 get back into the hobby. I would like 2 get started with a tank no smaller than 75 gal. I also want 2 try a reef tank this time with a below the tank sump and a refugium. If anyone has any suggestions on equipment or DIY info on the sump/ refugium please LMK thanks

MOB1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2009, 11:07 PM   #1378
dcopeland
Registered Member

hi

My name is Dan I live in Indiana and am very interested in saltwater tanks i have no experience and have been doing a lot of research any and all tips will be welcomed Thank You.

dcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2009, 02:08 AM   #1379
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOB1224 View Post
Hello my name is Ron I am fairly new 2 the hobby I had a 55 gal fish only tank for a couple years but ended up having 2 get rid of it when I moved. I am currently wanting 2 get back into the hobby. I would like 2 get started with a tank no smaller than 75 gal. I also want 2 try a reef tank this time with a below the tank sump and a refugium. If anyone has any suggestions on equipment or DIY info on the sump/ refugium please LMK thanks

hi-ron, theres so much info available i wouldnt know where to start tbh,for diy info, try the diy forum, i suspect theres dozens of threads about your requirements in there

To Reef Central

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2009, 02:10 AM   #1380
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopeland View Post
My name is Dan I live in Indiana and am very interested in saltwater tanks i have no experience and have been doing a lot of research any and all tips will be welcomed Thank You.
hi-dan, the best tip is to read as much as possible before buying anything, theres a wealth of info here so your in the right place, try this thread for bisic start up tips first http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1031074

To Reef Central

MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Unread 12/06/2009, 02:13 AM   #1381
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoganTerrance View Post
Hay my name is Terrance R and i have a 3gl and i am 13teen
hey

welcome aboard, im not sure if your the youngest browser, my kids do at times, however its nice to see you here, have a look here http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75 a forum especially for nano sized tanks, this is my advice to you, read as much about small tanks as you can in this forum and the very best of luck

To Reef Central

MIKE

Unread 12/06/2009, 07:31 AM   #1382
creep42031
Registered Member

Hey guys I'm new.... brand new to this hobby n I have to say I love it... I have a 25 gallon tank, I have 1 clown fish, 4 bumble bee snails 4 snails that love the sand n bury themself in there, 5 hermit crabs, one cleaning shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimps, and 2 lawnmower blennys.... and I have a LR that has mushrooms on it. Well I'm writing this Cuz my mushroom look like there dying I need help. What can I do to bring them back to life. There all light brown n sucked in not expand when I first bought them...water levels r Ph 8.2-8.4 , ammonia 0 nitrite fluctuates 0-0.25 and nitrate fluctuates also, 0- 5.0... can u help plzzzzz

creep42031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2009, 07:59 AM   #1383
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

hi creep, mushroms are vertually indestructable, they do however hate flow with a vengence, if they are sucked in they may be getting blasted by a ph, try altering the position of flow, after a day or 2 they may recover

To Reef Central

MIKE

Unread 12/06/2009, 08:03 AM   #1384
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Michael---can you weigh in on this thread--your thoughts would be welcomed

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1752607

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 12/06/2009, 08:21 AM   #1385
hoosiermom
Registered Member

Hi! I am a teacher and mother of three children. I have kept cichlid tanks since I was about 12. I am not getting ready to venture into saltwater tanks. I am trying to find out all I can before I dive into the hobby. I am thinking that maybe a 55 gallon size would fit best into my home, but maybe possible a 75. I am not sure which size I should get.

Any advice and help would be appreciated.

hoosiermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2009, 08:42 AM   #1386
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiermom View Post
Hi! I am a teacher and mother of three children. I have kept cichlid tanks since I was about 12. I am not getting ready to venture into saltwater tanks. I am trying to find out all I can before I dive into the hobby. I am thinking that maybe a 55 gallon size would fit best into my home, but maybe possible a 75. I am not sure which size I should get.

Any advice and help would be appreciated.

To Reef Central

Larger tanks are more forgiving of mistakes that you are bound to make with just getting into the hobby. They are actually easier to maintain. In the long run the can drain ones pocket book quicker then smaller tanks as you invest in corals and fish etc

That said being a mother of three children I would go with the 75gal but keep it fish only with live rock. If you research FOWLR tanks on here you will be able to learn more information.

Good luck and hope to see you posting on here soon that you have taken the plunge.

BTW
don't go new--plenty of deals on craigs list and www.kijiji in your area

Unread 12/06/2009, 11:05 AM   #1387
edjersey
Registered Member

Hi I'm Ed from New jersey, I'm going to convert my rainbow tank to reef tank and reading all the post on how to start a saltwater tank, I dont think I can wait a month today is the day i'm starting it so I will post tomorrow how everything is going

edjersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2009, 12:58 PM   #1388
creep42031
Registered Member

Hey Micheal thx but they have been like that since I had them. I have a water pump that's for a 45-65 gallon tank. U think that's y there like that....n my Ph level is at 8.2-8.4

Unread 12/06/2009, 01:07 PM   #1389
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

well im not sure what to say then, can you give a little more info, what actually is the make and model of the pump? what salt do you use? what salinity is your water at? and how do you measure it?

MIKE

Unread 12/06/2009, 01:51 PM   #1390
raliuha
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
welcome to the forum, whats your plans for the tank (what fish etc)
Thanks, Mike!
So far (for almost one month with life rocks) we adopted two clown fish, two sand sifting sea stars, two snails, one scarlet shrimp, one Scarlet Hermit that today changed its shell , two small colonies of zoanthides - one of them hitchhikers and we used them for visual test of the water quality along with the daily tests (never imagined that this boring science will come in use in my life)
All this staff was placed because a friend of ours said it is better to have something inside and this way the water cycle to begin faster. Fortunately everything is going well -the zoanthides started flourish, every creature get used with the environment. Hopefully everything will go in the right direction.
Our plans are not to have so many fishes but mostly corals and invertebrates.
That's all for now.

Best regards

raliuha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2009, 02:13 PM   #1391
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjersey View Post
Hi I'm Ed from New jersey, I'm going to convert my rainbow tank to reef tank and reading all the post on how to start a saltwater tank, I dont think I can wait a month today is the day i'm starting it so I will post tomorrow how everything is going
great--keep us informed

To Reef Central

Unread 12/06/2009, 02:19 PM   #1392
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raliuha View Post

All this staff was placed because a friend of ours said it is better to have something inside and this way the water cycle to begin faster. Fortunately everything is going well -the zoanthides started flourish, every creature get used with the environment. Hopefully everything will go in the right direction.
Our plans are not to have so many fishes but mostly corals and invertebrates.
That's all for now.

Best regards
Acutually there are very few things we can actually do to increase the rate of bacterial growth(cycling) We can however very easily increase the ammonia level in a tank before the bacteria have cycled enough to handle it
This can be deadly to all tank inhabitants.
If you want to decrease the risk of an ammonia spike by early additions to your tank then I suggest you use Seachem reef Prime. It is a ammonia and nitrate inhibitor and gives your tank time to cycle while there are inhabitants in it.

This 40 gal bow tank has been up one week and has 2 cardinals, 2 shrimp, 2 clowns, a six line wrasse, 6 turbos and hermits in it,

its using fully cured live rock and reef prime daily

Unread 12/06/2009, 02:46 PM   #1393
raliuha
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_hylinur View Post
Acutually there are very few things we can actually do to increase the rate of bacterial growth(cycling) We can however very easily increase the ammonia level in a tank before the bacteria have cycled enough to handle it
This can be deadly to all tank inhabitants....
Yes, we are aware... and every day I am playing the role of the mad professor with the flasks and syringes. The indexes of the ammonia are going down progressively - from 0.05 one week ago to 0.005 today. I really believe this friend of ours knows what he is doing, he is in this business almost ten years.
Thanks for the advise, I'll keep it in mind!

raliuha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2009, 04:40 PM   #1394
creep42031
Registered Member

LOL....u gotz to remember bro I'm new to this hobby. There's different salt u use.... I use the sand in a bag I think its live sand. N I don't have the device to check the salt yet. Next week I will.but I keep up on my ro water I have it marked In my tank, so when it goes down just a lil I fill it up

Unread 12/06/2009, 11:10 PM   #1395
donstlee
Registered Member

Hello, I'm a newbie, looking for help please!!!

My name is Don, and I was wondering if anyone could recomend to me a name or a place that specializes in making glass aquariums. I am planning to upgrade soon and would like to move into a 100 gallon or so size tank. My local shop here in San Mateo California says most tanks unfortunatley are 20 inches or taller but I would prefer one that is no more than 18 or 19 inches tall with a length of 5 feet or less and then a width of 18 inches or more with a overflow. whom ever can give me any kind of info, I appreciate it greatly. Thanks everybody.

Sincerely, Don

donstlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2009, 11:19 PM   #1396
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donstlee View Post
My name is Don, and I was wondering if anyone could recomend to me a name or a place that specializes in making glass aquariums. I am planning to upgrade soon and would like to move into a 100 gallon or so size tank. My local shop here in San Mateo California says most tanks unfortunatley are 20 inches or taller but I would prefer one that is no more than 18 or 19 inches tall with a length of 5 feet or less and then a width of 18 inches or more with a overflow. whom ever can give me any kind of info, I appreciate it greatly. Thanks everybody.

Sincerely, Don
If you go to the reef club forums on this site and check for a local reef club you will probably get an answer to your question

To Reef Central

Unread 12/06/2009, 11:24 PM   #1397
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creep42031 View Post
LOL....u gotz to remember bro I'm new to this hobby. There's different salt u use.... I use the sand in a bag I think its live sand. N I don't have the device to check the salt yet. Next week I will.but I keep up on my ro water I have it marked In my tank, so when it goes down just a lil I fill it up

we need to sort out this post first
Salt mix that you mix with water comes either in a pail or a bag. What brand of salt are you using.

Live sand also comes in a bag but has nothing to do with the mixing of salt and ro water.

sounds like you are topping up the water level in your tank with ro water--great.

Have you added your live rock yet. If so, until you get the salt level correct you really can't count the time your tank has been cycling until you do so.

Unread 12/06/2009, 11:36 PM   #1398
sam720
Registered Member

Hi RC, my name is sam720. I have been in the hobby for almost 10 yrs. and still feel like I have a mile to go. I currently have a 150 reef tank up and running. This has been up for almost a year and a half. It is a mixed tank with the rarest and hardest to get montipora's. I do have another tank in storage that I will be setting up when I move. That's why I have the name that I do. Just found out about this site. Hoping to learn more. sam720

sam720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2009, 11:52 PM   #1399
Gabriel.I
Registered Member

hello my name is Gabriel I age of 32 years and I have this hobby for three years.have two tanks holding 90 gallons each wich for now with freshwater.and I decided that one of them to make into a marine aquarium.before I built one skimmer, overflow, follow the lamp and setup.

Gabriel.I is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2009, 07:48 AM   #1400
creep42031
Registered Member

Damn I don't know bout the salt mixer...all I do is get saltwater from a good pet store. N for the sand it was.in a bag. They said it has all the. Nutrients to start ur tank, live sand. I have 20 pounds of LR rock. Before I added anything I had my water cycle for like a month, then got all my inverts first then, a week later I got my fishes. LOL I had 2 blennys n they were fighting n found one if them died. Sucks...

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral