Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/16/2005, 08:59 PM   #276
Jamesurq
Moved On

So I added insulation to the walls.

Then I added the railing.

Then I sheathed the side with the door.

Jamesurq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2005, 09:03 PM   #277
Jamesurq
Moved On

OK. so what's left to do? ballasters, trimwork, carpet, doorknob and paint.

Not bad for a weekend huh? Started at 3PM on Saturday - finished at 7PM tonight.

Oh - and I had a little setback with a sharp knife... Ended up with 3 stitches... (see Ryan - I'm not the only one with a 90 gallon setup thread with pictures of lacerations...)

Unread 01/16/2005, 09:06 PM   #278
AJP
Registered Member

That looks like it hurt, hey about the sand trade is it ok if I send some sand with no life. I just recently changed out my sand bed from black to a southdown. I am devoid of life, and wanted to make sure that was ok before I sent you sand on FEB 7th

AJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2005, 09:06 PM   #279
Jamesurq
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by thrlride
I don't know how you convinced your wife to do these things. Looks great!
No tricks. The 2 fridges were at the bottom of a set of stairs. It will make it a LOT easier to get to when they're on this platform...

Creativity guys. That, and both cars should be able to still fit in the garage when it's complete. (thanks to me having a small car)

Unread 01/16/2005, 09:19 PM   #280
thrlride
Aka lemmywinks

Yours looks much worse than mine! Although I could of lost some digits in my ineptitude.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon FOWLR (H&S 200a-1260 , panworld 50px-x, 2x Vortech w/ WWD)
thrlride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2005, 09:26 PM   #281
Jamesurq
Moved On

yeah - no kidding. the knife I had would have needed some back and forth sawing action to get through the bone...

Unread 01/16/2005, 09:30 PM   #282
melev
Moved On

Nice.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2005, 09:33 PM   #283
Jamesurq
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Nice.
The room - or the cut?

Unread 01/16/2005, 09:37 PM   #284
melev
Moved On

Eh, a little blood for the love of reefing is good enough for me.

Just kidding. I really like what you are doing in the garage. All the insulation is because the garage gets too cold, right? What will you do about summer since this isn't really a viable reef area? Is this only to maintain sand when necessary? Or is there a bigger project in mind?

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2005, 09:41 PM   #285
Jamesurq
Moved On

The insullation is for both summer and winter. I have my sump in a little room that's connected to this room so I'll probably use the rubbermaid as a refugium after the trade is done. I also have that 30 gallon tank (as shown) that'll get plumbed in too for a xenia fuge.

I also have a 50 gallon Oceanic that I'll hook up in a few months to house frags, etc.

The room attaches to the crawlspace - so I have great ventillation. I'll be adding a small heater and an AC unit to keep the room straight... Basically the insulation is to keep my heating/AC costs down.

Unread 01/18/2005, 07:50 AM   #286
Jamesurq
Moved On

AAAHHH!!!

Came home last night and the water was cloudy. Tried to figure out what it was. Turns out my RBTA had been on the move and got sucked into the closed loop. Little chunks of anemone on the sand and an overactive skimmer.

Ran about a pound of carbon to strip the water and the cloudyness was gone in about an hour. I'll do a 10% water change tonight...

That's the last time I do an anemone. I really need to just give it up with them, I've never had good luck with anemones..

On a side note - I got the ballasters and the rest of the railing done. Tonight I'll do the carpet and install overhead lighting in the room. Then the rubbermaid tub gets filled and heated.

Then I'll trim and paint the room. It's funny how this thread was designed to outline my tank setup for everyone to see - but in reality it's more of a personal log than anything else...

Unread 01/18/2005, 07:52 AM   #287
Jamesurq
Moved On

Oh - and who want's to come over tomorrow and help me move 2 refrigerators?

Unread 01/18/2005, 07:53 AM   #288
thrlride
Aka lemmywinks

Sorry to hear about your anemone. Besides this, what other bad luck have you had with them?

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon FOWLR (H&S 200a-1260 , panworld 50px-x, 2x Vortech w/ WWD)
Unread 01/18/2005, 07:54 AM   #289
thrlride
Aka lemmywinks

If I lived closer I'd be more than willing to help!

Unread 01/18/2005, 08:00 AM   #290
AJP
Registered Member

I would love to help move some fridges, but I am in Kansas so I guess I am out. Also how did he get to the closed loop pump, didn't you have a strainer or anything on the intake

Unread 01/18/2005, 08:42 AM   #291
Jamesurq
Moved On

yeah - there's a strainer - but the pump has some SERIOUS suction - 3600 gph on 2 1" inputs is pretty strong.

The other bad luck I had with anemones was another RBTA in the past that was torn apart by a couple of peppermint shrimp. And a Condy that I bought before I knew any better....

Thanks for the offers for help moving. I might just have to find a couple of guys in the neighborhood and bribe them with scotch or beer...

Unread 01/18/2005, 08:43 AM   #292
AJP
Registered Member

Ah that explains that, Well better luck next time.

Unread 01/18/2005, 08:45 AM   #293
Jamesurq
Moved On

nah - no next time. I'm done with anemones... Running out of space for that type stuff anyway.

I think I'll grab a long tenticle plate coral - looks close enough to an anemone - maybe the clowns will host in that...

Unread 01/18/2005, 09:24 AM   #294
Kip
Registered Member

your clowns dont like the frogs? ... mine stay in my frog more than they do their rbta... clowns are odd

Unread 01/18/2005, 09:32 AM   #295
thrlride
Aka lemmywinks

With the exception of an anemone, my clowns don't touch my frog, xenia or hairy mushrooms. I've seen them host in all of the above, but not for me. Torch might be next as I don't really want something that wanders.

Unread 01/18/2005, 09:48 AM   #296
Jamesurq
Moved On

They don't host in anything right now - probably because they have nothing to fear in the tank (little purple pseudochromis is a freindly addition). Once I put something larger in there they might take to something for shelter. I was hoping it would have been the RBTA...

I'd rather they find something that at least looks a little like an anemone... Dr. Mac has a pink tip long tenticle plate coral that looks good.

Unread 01/18/2005, 04:07 PM   #297
bugshop
Registered Member

My ocellaris liked my goniopora and hammer.
and they didn't mind him.

Timmy

Unread 01/18/2005, 07:44 PM   #298
tgfrench
Registered Member

Hey james:

I ran across your progress page and I'm all smiles for ya. Looks like you have a nice set up going. I hate to think of all the cash you have thrown at that tank over the past few months. My little tank is still moving along, and I added a gtba a month ago and thru in a very small marron clown last week. The gbta played hide and seek for 3 days, I turned the rock around which it had attached to the back of and its been stationary now for 3 weeks before I added the clown. The first nite the clown made its bed in the gtba and is a happy camper there.
Thinking of you james, ya want any of those dang hair worms back? I'm to the point of trying to find something that would make a meal of a few of them.

Oh well enough of my 2 cents. Enough to say. Congrats

Terry

90 corner overflow w/basement sump/coptic refug, DIY single beckett skimmer, 2 vho & 2 250w 14k hamiltons MH., fishbowl Innov lunar light system, 1500gph CL. started with a 55 in 4/20/04 upgraded to 90 5/1/07 total system volume 250 gal.

Current Tank Info: 90 gal AGA single corner overflow
tgfrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2005, 09:31 PM   #299
Jamesurq
Moved On

Terry - long time no see... Yeah those spaghetti worms were so abundant in my tank - it's gonna be a while for me to repopulate the sand...

Thanks for the kind words - keep up the good work with your tank.

Unread 01/19/2005, 11:52 PM   #300
PaPa_Johnny
Premium Member

James, man are you fast. I have the same tank as yours. My progress will be WAY slower. Got a few specific questions (have thousands but won't ask here). Did you use the Meg-Whatcha-Overflow-thingie that came with the tank or did you do a custom.

Any recent pictures?

Thanks
J

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon AGA, 240 gallon in the works, gathering equipment now.
PaPa_Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote