Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/27/2016, 01:05 PM   #1
Blr26995
Registered Member

Please help with lighting info. Clear info please as. Be easy I'm new.

I just started cycling my tank Thursday 6/23. I've got live rock. And some hitchhikers that I've found. (Some kind of red crab and a few mushrooms) poor guys... I've been checking my parameters everything so far is good no spikes yet. Husband brought home a jbj nano cube 24 from a friend. Hood isn't working right dimmers won't turn on or cooling fans and I'm sure the bulbs haven't been changed ever. I'd like to mod the hood in time. Till then what kind of lighting will I need that's (here it comes) affordable $100 and under if that's possible that will get me by till I can get something better? And please what are each color light for blue , red, green, white and do you need all of them? Also wattage spectrum what are the needs of a 24g coral tank? It's allot but I am having trouble wrapping my head around lighting needs. Thanks!!

Blr26995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2016, 01:50 PM   #2
eder10986
Registered Member

I just upgraded my entire lighting system to Kessil's, they are awesome. Expensive, yes. I suggest you do one of two things. Suck it up and get a good lighting system from the beginning instead of going through three like me. Or purchase something like an orbit LED light that I had and loved.

https://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-M...ords=orbit+LED

They have a controller and several functions like dawn, dusk, storm, and ramp up/down.

Also you could make your budget a tad higher like $150-175 and get a nice Kessil 150 or 160 off of eBay used. Nice lights for a small tank.

eder10986 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#lighting #help #corals